DVDVR Message Board

6/8/2022!- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm excited about Forbidden Door, but they need to do a better job on introducing the NJPW guys to the audience. Am I the only one who has no idea who those dudes with Will Osprey are? If not. If they were all in the room with you right now, would you recognize them?  Seriously,  what are their names? Do you remember? I don't. 

This is an ongoing issue that I feel highlights a TK blindspot. He's a huge wrestling nerd who know who everyone on earth is. And he assumes everyone else does as well. So you get big TNA "WE KNOW WHO THAT IS" energy on some of these debuts, or the women's ROH on Rampage a few weeks back

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caley said:

I knew Moxley was going to win -since he's lost what 2 singles matches in AEW (3? Is it more than 3? Lost to Jericho once or twice and Omega once or twice and Danielson...once? Are there more?)

Didn't he also lose a match to Lance Archer?

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

There really needs to be some consequence to what Swerve did to Keith Lee at least.

adam-cole-nxt.gif

To be clear I'm not saying Lee should do this to Swerve. I'm saying he should take out his frustrations on Cole.

Since we have the All Atlantic title for men, does that mean we'll soon have an All Pacific title for the women?

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's more than this.  I think they should put more women's matches on television, but I don't think that is the problem with the division.  The problem is that they need another women other than Britt Baker to be able to carry an entertaining segment that isn't a match.  Jade Cargill and the baddies have been pretty good, and I imagine that act will get better with Stoke, but she kind of operates outside of the division as a whole.  They've tried it with Thunder Rosa, Serena Deeb, and a few others, but all those segments die in front of the live audience.  They've added plenty of capable in-ring workers to the division, but they need characters that the audience cares about more than anything else.  Honestly, they need Nyla and Vickie Guerrero to either be on television more and/or add to their faction.  If they can build up another group of heels for Thunder Rosa, Toni Storm, and Ruby Soho to go up against, they might have something, but they can't just let them try to get over purely off ring work.  It won't work, they have to build characters that the audience wants to see so the matches don't die a death in front of the audience.

Octopus been drinking and kinda sad. Octopus has solutions to things he doesn’t know about. 

Intergender factions. Not as a novelty or a valet. Badass Shida or Deeb or whoever added to BCC and treated as a respected killah. Or someone to Team Taz as a suplexeh. 

Segments die in ratings maybe because there is a poor emphasis on storytelling. What are the three best female storylines? In the Men’s world title picture we have memorable moments and often good long term booking. 

derp.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A_K said:

There's an element of that, compounded by the cupping marks he had (now obscured by band-aids?). That apart though, and given he's Canadian too & with a 'technical M&A' move set, presumably the gimmick he should really be aiming to emulate is Benoit's no-nonsense Crippler gimmick (without any reference ever to Benoit, obv.).

This is not me disagreeing with you, because I do think it would work out OK if O'Reilly played it straight. However, just pointing out: there are a ton of oddballs, misfits, and other socially maladjusted outcast types in the BJJ and MMA world. It wouldn't shock me if at least half of the weirdo mannerisms KOR uses on TV he picked up at the gym(s) he trains at, just down to the goofy screwing around that happens when your hobby entails sweating on and fighting other human beings. If he wants to keep doing what he's doing, fine by me.

Somewhat to @Gordlow's point that it could be pedantic to point out that New Zealand, Australia, and Japan are not in or near the Atlantic Ocean: for a second, I started worrying that whoever came up with that belt design and name subscribed to some sort of flat earth theory that would somehow make the flags and belt name make sense, but I then short-circuited trying to figure out how they could rationalize everything even within that belief system.

I admit that all of this sent me further in to a spiral. I spent most of my lunch break today coming up with the ways AEW could be the most "geographically pedantic yet rife with cocaine-laden, nonsensical factual errors" wrestling promotion. I demand the AEW Pacific Rim Championship and the AEW Eurasian Steppes Championship (THEY'RE DIFFERENT, DAMMIT)! After that, I think it's time for the inaugural Bosporus Strait Tournament to crown the first AEW Sumo wrestling champion, but it's only open to guys from Illinois or Nebraska.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

why All-Atlantic? It just seems like a weird thing to be the champion of.  Is Aquaman a contender? 

Is it possible you are conflating Atlantic and Atlantis here? In my opinion, those are different things.

That being said, I'd be more than fine with them bringing Drum-playing Octopus in for a shot at the title.

Which reminds me: @Octopus, can you play the drums?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Is it possible you are conflating Atlantic and Atlantis here? In my opinion, those are different things.

That being said, I'd be more than fine with them bringing Drum-playing Octopus in for a shot at the title.

Which reminds me: @Octopus, can you play the drums?

This is my year. I’m gonna win the big one. 

• Haha 1

Thoughts on Dynamite:

* Battle Royal was fun and did what it needed to do. Kyle O'Reilly has definitely been putting the work in and proving he can hang in these big match settings. Match with Moxley was good too, even if Moxley being slotted into the title eliminator match right away is garbage. Where is Hangman in all of this? He didn't even get a slot in the battle royal.

* Marina Shafir I'm not sure was the best opponent to book against Thunder Rosa for her first match post Double or Nothing. Shafir hasn't had a major presence on TV. She wrestled Jade Cargill for the TBS title and this was her first match on actual cable Tv since that match, which was in April. It's June now. She wasn't even booked on Dark or Elevation for a whole month. I think it should've been Jamie Hayter put in this spot. Hayter is way more polished and experienced, and I think she's ready for a feud like this. 

* I'm generally fine with having another singles title in AEW. Not sure if All-American is a good name for it. Seems like it should be the International title. But I do like that the tournament has this international feel with the brackets focusing on wrestlers from different countries. My issue is that AEW has all these titles around now from AEW and ROH and they are losing track of them and don't know what to do with them. 

* I'm glad the dumbass Men of the Year vs. Sammy and Tay feud is mercifully over. I do think this is a good next step for Wardlow. That said, I think the less Wardlow speaks the better. His promos remind me of early babyface singles Roman Reigns. Wardlow has all the tools, he's just not the best promo. He can do enough to get by but I think he just doesn't need to talk much. 

* I'm confused, does anyone know what's going on with Mark Sterling and Jade Cargill? Are they done now that Stokely Hathaway is with her? 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’m continually baffled by AEWs inability to do another Battle Royal as good as the All In preshow one.  This wasn’t bad at all.

I can answer this one for you. It is way easier to layout and format a few hot spots in a battle royal that everyone is already in there to begin with. 5, 6, 7, 8, people get penciled in for a nice spot that you can time out evenly. A royal rumble is also easier to layout and format. One person in every so often so you can structure a narrative and a pacing. When you're throwing FIVE people in there all at once you just can't format that well.

Even the newer format where the five guys have subsequent entrances vs all coming out at once hasn't done a good job alleviating it. You got Dante about to hit a cool spot on Fenix and the camera pulled away to show the next person's entrance and missed the shot. It just doesn't work as well to string along narratives or pacing with nothing, then boom a burst of five dudes trying to shine at the same time.

Either do an old fashioned everyone in battle royal, or do a royal rumble. Trying to come up with their own original format has just fallen flat.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I really liked Marina Shafir versus Thunder Rosa. When did Shafir start repping Moldova? 

I think she always has. In her MMA career, she went by "The Supernova from Moldova" as her nickname. 

13 hours ago, Casey said:

and have him lose to Scorpio fuckin' Sky. But I doubt it.

they already did it once! But yes, no more.

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

* I'm confused, does anyone know what's going on with Mark Sterling and Jade Cargill? Are they done now that Stokely Hathaway is with her? 

Unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Mox is fucking killing it right.  He counted his chip stack in that promo.  My dude is staking his claim that he is The Man in this business.  He gives William Regal the “willycobbles”.  Duh fuc?

Colywobbles. If someone is giving you the Collywobbles, it means they are making you nervous, to the point you're shaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

If it was actually the All-Atlantis title we'd be namedropping Gran Attuma not Gran Akuma. 

(In my best Schwarzenegger voice) EETS NOT ATTUMA!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have watched only until the beginning of the Women's title match, but I'll say this: Tony, I got my match, you can have all the new title belts you want! I remember my wrestling RPG, I created SO many titles! It's fine, knock yourself out! Go wild! I'll put aside money so I can buy the PPV at the end of the month, as promised.

Also, O'Reilly winning the battle royal was definitely a surprise! Was that some kind of monkey paw wish @The Natural made? We got anyone but Adam Cole, with the winner being the closest thing to Adam Cole (by proximity only, not style, or anything)? Funny. Also, they threw Osprey at you for good measure! They trolling you, or something?

I could go for Page vs Okada, no problem! This was my first time seeing the Fit Kid. He looked very good in there!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Since we have the All Atlantic title for men, does that mean we'll soon have an All Pacific title for the women?

Don't be ridiculous, you know damn well Emi will be the inaugural all-seven seas of ryhe champion!

• Like 1

Was it really the international Best Friends Day on Wednesday, or was Trent just making shit up? Another bad day for Trent, BTW, holy crap!

Oh, and do any of you have friends, BTW? What's it like?

Naah, just kidding, my friends are wonderful! In case they ever visit these pages...

• Haha 1