DVDVR Message Board

6/7/2022- WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR IN THE RING?

DEAN

WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?

I think that's about everybody who is worth mentioning who is having a HOT RUN~!  IIIII voted for Lindaman because he's named after a Blue Hearts song- which is the most awesome thing in wrestling.

I saw Lindaman vs Tamura. First time seeing him. He was bursting with energy, almost as if he was poised to explode at any moment. Human nitroglycerine. He also seemed to be selling from the first moment he entered the ring, as if the atmosphere itself was oppressive and he was from a planet with different gravity. He unleashed that explosiveness right at the start with a dive, a missile dropkick, a top rope splash, before selling it all himself when he wasn't able to win. It was a bit of a weird vibe. Throughout the match, you got the sense he was goading Tamura into getting into striking competitions with him or even just to keep hitting him in the face because he knew he could take it but he knew that Tamura's arm was busted. Pure resilience but in a way where it still felt like it registered and, when it came time, where he could boil over and just crush him in the ropes with lightning fast, harsh, harsh strikes. Speaking of lightning fast, he ducked a clothesline and hit a German faster than maybe I've ever seen anyone manage. All that said, this wasn't entirely my sort of thing. The elements were there but it was too much same vs same, maybe started at too big a place without the ability to properly escalate. I liked that he came in with a strategy to win big early but he never entirely paid for it when it failed. Tamura's spinning lifting chinlock was great, but it went back to 50-50 too soon after. The ideal matchups would be Lindaman vs someone hugely technical or especially surviving someone like Vader. Who is even "Someone like Vader" in 2022?

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I went with Syuri even though it was really close between her and Lindaman. And really... I kind of wonder if I should've gone with Lindaman.

I like Syuri a lot. For years she was one of my favorites. But I don't know, the last year or so I guess I've just been disappointed with her. I don't know if it's because there's a better version of her out there now (what's up, Miyu Yamashita?) or if a lot of her matches feel kinda samey samey to me lately. Kind of like how even if you get great pizza, it can still get old if you get it the same time over and over.

My favorite match of hers this year is one practically nobody talks about either, and that was her match against ASUKA from the Hana Kimura memorial show. I guess because it was a break from the norm. I'd love to see Syuri venture out more. Like right now, if you told me Syuri was facing Rina Yamashita next week on a SEAdLINNG show, I'd buy the stream immediately. And I can't stand watching shows on Nico or Kipz or whatever weird streaming services Japanese groups use.

Eh. I'll stick with my vote for Syuri, but this is my weakest of all votes in this.

Just had a look on Reddit to try and establish why people love Cole so much, and amongst a lot of talk about 'IT factor', mic skills and charisma, someone offered 'He's the second coming of Shawn Michaels'. So I can see why he isn't the mascot of this message board.

Anyway, I have seen at least one match from everyone in this poll, so I voted El Lindaman, his Super Juniors was outstanding.

• Thanks 1

Went with Minoru Suzuki. I said Minoru Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe was a match I wanted to see in AEW. Less than 24 hours later, it was casually announced on AEW Rampage for next week's AEW Dynamite. Strong Style Strike Fest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I went with Syuri even though it was really close between her and Lindaman. And really... I kind of wonder if I should've gone with Lindaman.

I like Syuri a lot. For years she was one of my favorites. But I don't know, the last year or so I guess I've just been disappointed with her. I don't know if it's because there's a better version of her out there now (what's up, Miyu Yamashita?) or if a lot of her matches feel kinda samey samey to me lately. Kind of like how even if you get great pizza, it can still get old if you get it the same time over and over.

My favorite match of hers this year is one practically nobody talks about either, and that was her match against ASUKA from the Hana Kimura memorial show. I guess because it was a break from the norm. I'd love to see Syuri venture out more. Like right now, if you told me Syuri was facing Rina Yamashita next week on a SEAdLINNG show, I'd buy the stream immediately. And I can't stand watching shows on Nico or Kipz or whatever weird streaming services Japanese groups use.

Eh. I'll stick with my vote for Syuri, but this is my weakest of all votes in this.

I'd definitely have voted Syuri is this was about the calendar year of 2021, but I've been disappointed with her since the World of Stardom Title win. Even the ASUKA match I felt like ASUKA stood out more than Syuri, and I was super excited for that clash.

So I went with Lindaman, he's just this captivating mix of in your face charisma and presence with a very exciting power-junior style (despite his small size). He's been a huge part of why GLEAT is a must watch company for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

I'd definitely have voted Syuri is this was about the calendar year of 2021, but I've been disappointed with her since the World of Stardom Title win. Even the ASUKA match I felt like ASUKA stood out more than Syuri, and I was super excited for that clash.

So are we both in on the thought that ASUKA is better than Syuri at the moment? Because I'm comfortable with that. ASUKA's really good.

37 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

So are we both in on the thought that ASUKA is better than Syuri at the moment? Because I'm comfortable with that. ASUKA's really good.

Oh yeah, definitely. ASUKA is one of those wrestlers I'll go out of my way to watch, be it in the hyper-cool mean girls of Las Fresa de Egoistas in SEAdLINNNG or wrestling MAO in DDT or turning up in GanPro, Zero1, Sendai Girls, Marvelous, she's probably 3rd behind Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto for best women's wrestler I've seen in the first half of the year.

5 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Oh yeah, definitely. ASUKA is one of those wrestlers I'll go out of my way to watch, be it in the hyper-cool mean girls of Las Fresa de Egoistas in SEAdLINNNG or wrestling MAO in DDT or turning up in GanPro, Zero1, Sendai Girls, Marvelous, she's probably 3rd behind Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto for best women's wrestler I've seen in the first half of the year.

ASUKA and Makoto might be my favorite tag team in all of wrestling at the moment. So glamorous...

• DEAN unpinned this topic