DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 6/6 - 6/12/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The amount of exceeded closed fist punches and two of your closed fists pummeling the opponent were illegal. Referees would or could admonish Superstars. The rules for illegal closed fists back then just their excuses to explain in the other loose or soft open worky hand punches.  Not every referee enforced those punch rules, refs discretion.

One of those loose rules for the WWF, like in Japan for some promotions where some fouls and illegal tatics are ok but in limited time.

Closed fists became legal in 2008. Superstars were also told to tighten up their punches years ago, HD and all that jazz.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Hogan's comeback involved punches to back them to the rope to send off for his big boot. So in WWE closed fists have been legal since 1984ish it would appear. They wouldn't have had their tippy top squeaky clean babyface breaking the rules and cheating to win, would they? Frowned upon? Sure. But not illegal. At least that's always how I interpreted it.

Did anyone ever get DQ'd in WWE for closed fist punching after 1984?

Test once, after Steph turned on him. She pointed out he was punching and should be DQ'd.

45 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Test once, after Steph turned on him. She pointed out he was punching and should be DQ'd.

Not quite what I was looking for. That's a gimmick. I meant a straight up someone was just DQ'd for closed fist punching. No heel authority figure involvement or special ref deal. Just someone being DQ'd for it straight up.

I'll go ahead and assume Eivion & Blue Dragon are right and they made it "officially" legal 2008.

But unofficially no one ever got DQ'd for it to my recollection. (Outside of gimmickry).

Who will master the closed foot punch?

I'm gonna wait for awhile to see what they do with the MITB winner title shots. So far the WWE dot com site has the winner of the Women's MITB earns the standard anytime anywhere title shot for any of the Women's titles.

Ricochet pretty much owned that match against Gunther, I don't think I've ever seen WALTER take as much offense. Unfortunate that we missed so much in that commercial break; as a result it felt abbreviated. I like having a Euro guy hold the IC title. Kaiser's sell of the kick was hilarious, too. (Ludwig Kaiser. What a stupid fucking name. Then again, I guess it could have been Adolf Eichmann or something.)

EDIT: Ooof I forgot that Eichmann's first name WAS Adolf and therefore that joke ends up way too on the nose.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Well, guess a big part of NXT's midcard is going to have to be rewritten.  

Tony seemed to be fitting well in this character so this is definitely a shame.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, guess a big part of NXT's midcard is going to have to be rewritten.  

Tony seemed to be fitting well in this character so this is definitely a shame.

It appears the Tony D'Angelo injury at the NXT house show last night was either storyline or not serious. There are people with the company saying storyline and others were just downplaying it.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/daily-updates/daily-update-ufc-275-fallout-wwe-house-show-results-tony-dangelo

• Like 2