DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 6/6 - 6/12/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Ivy/Meiko was quite nice. The two mesh together well style wise, and its easily the best Nile has looked so far. Would love to see a rematch in a year or so when Ivy has even more experience under her belt.

• Like 1

Tonight

For the WWE Intercontinental Championship: Gunther vs. Ricochet (C)

Men's MITB Qualifying Match: Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus

Women's MITB Qualifying Match: Lacey Evans vs. Xia Li

Dupri Stable debuts tonight. Is Tarheel Moneghetti the first member?

Drew McIntyre and Sheamus have a hoss battle with many clubbing blows!  Nice Michinoku Driver by McIntyre.  McIntyre has some nice lower impact offense.  That was a big toprope Air Raid Crash by McIntyre.  Fun nearfalls in this match.  Sheamus off the top to the floor with an axehandle! Double count out is a legit finish.  They continue to hit each other with clubbering blows through the commercial and into the next segment.  That was fun.  I don't think I've seen Xia Li before.  She's got a neat offense.  Lacey Evans uses AN ILLEGAL CLOSED FIST TO WIN!  What the FUCK?  Hey!  It's Shotzi Blackheart versus Rhonda Rousey!  Rousey does the cool ass YO-HEY double leg takedown thingy.  Shotzi does fun World of Sport arm bar variations.  The rest was pretty awkward until Rousey slaughterizes her with several cool looking throws.  UNEVEN!  Natalya runs in and PROCURES A QUALITY SHARPSHOOTER!  GUNTHER beats the hell out of Ricochet, I assume.  For the strap!  Jeez!  GUNTHER chops the fudge out of Ricochet.  Ricochet uses his quickness and also kicks GUNTHER in the hamstrings.  Sweet Lariat by GUNTHER.  Ricochet has a Matt Sydel style offense.  GUNTHER with an ACTUAL SUWA Dropkick and Powerbomb of Ricochet for the WIN!  GUNTHER WITH THE STRAP!  Sami Zayne versus Matt Riddle should be interesting.  Both base their matches on selling.  Riddle has an actual offense while Zayn has kinda hidden his offense to become more of the New Terry Funk.  LET'S WATCH, SHALL WE?  I see we are going with Zayn selling an ass beating as opposed to the other way this could have gone.  Riddle does the Pillman bump to the rail!  Zayn hits a nice Brainbuster.  Zayn is so awesome.  I love that kickout after the toprope knee to the face.  Zayn channelling Terry Funk when taking a bunch of kicks is so awesome.  SWEET POWERSLAM by Riddle.  Great counter of an RKO into a Blue Thunder Bomb.  I love that Zayn countered two finishers and then Riddle counters Zayn's finisher with an RKO for the win.  That was good.  Sami Zayn is the best wrestler in the WWE.  Good stuff.  PUT THE STRAP ON HIM!

• Like 1

What I saw of Sheamus/Drew seemed like a solid hoss fight. Kind of liked the double dq finish with the two continuing to brawl post match.

Xia/Lacey was decent while it lasted.

Shotzi/Ronda was pretty solid, far better than their shitty beat the clock match from a month or two back. This again reminded me that the biggest issue I have with Ronda around really is her booking as she seemingly does want to make the other women look good.

GUNTHER/Ricochet was good stuff. Glad to see GUNTHER with the belt. Hopefully he holds it for a year+. Loved the finish with that Suwa dropkick.

Zayn/Riddle was damn good as well. They busted out some neat stuff. I especially loved that RKO counter.

Roman/Riddle should be good assuming we get an actual match.

• Like 4

Shotzi kicked Ronda RIGHT IN THE FACE~!  That's probably the easiest way for an expendable talent to be wished well in their future endeavors. I laugh out loud any time Paul Heyman uses the word "schmuck". 

This was one of the first Smackdown's in ages I pretty much watch all of.

Drew vs. Sheamus was a fun fight. I figured Drew was winning so he could win MITB to get his title shot in Cardiff. I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. BUTCH should be put into the MITB match just to see him go ape shit with a ladder on everyone. A double DQ was a good finish for this one.

Lacey vs. Xia was good for the couple of minutes it lasted. But I fear Xia is going to be future endeavored one of these days in the next round of budget cuts.

Ronda vs. Shotzi could have been a PPV match in of it self.  Ronda really went out of her way to make Shotzi look credible against her. Easily Shotzi's best match on the main roster. Still not sure why she's a heel though. Nattie made the most of the post match beat down which was nice for her.

GUNTHER vs. Ricochet should have happened on a ppv, but it was good for what it was here. I hope this is a long reign and maybe Gunther can be the one to break HTM's IC Title record

Riddle vs. Sami was pretty good. Heyman had me laughing when he was screaming YOU SCHMUCK...PIN HIM!!! Riddle/Roman should be on the ppv, but I suspect the match won't happen next week due to reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Lacey Evans uses AN ILLEGAL CLOSED FIST TO WIN!  What the FUCK?

Sometime after Big Show started using a punch as one of his finishers they made closed fists legal in WWE. Been that way for years now.

31 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Of course, Kerry Von Erich used a closed first finish a long time before - but only Heenan cared.

I'm sort of waiting for them to redo the Luger metal plate gimmick with replaced knuckles.

Kerry used the discuss spin to throw people off the scent. He could claim that he was going for a forearm or a clothesline, but the opponent moved just enough to be caught with his fist instead.

At first, I thought you meant brass knuckles, as in "I had a forearm surgery in a rough neighbourhood an the damn doctor forgot his brass knucks inside my surgery wound", but I guess you meant actual replaced titanium (?) knuckles?

Hogan's comeback involved punches to back them to the rope to send off for his big boot. So in WWE closed fists have been legal since 1984ish it would appear. They wouldn't have had their tippy top squeaky clean babyface breaking the rules and cheating to win, would they? Frowned upon? Sure. But not illegal. At least that's always how I interpreted it.

Did anyone ever get DQ'd in WWE for closed fist punching after 1984?

4 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Yes that is what I meant, ppl do have such surgery.

I guess you could argue the ref was on the wrong side and didn't see it, but Perfect wasn't moving much prior to contact (at which point he defied all physical laws ofc).

A friend of mine is missing one knuckle, maybe he should look into that. Yeah, Kerry's not really fooling anyone, although, maybe he didn't fully clench his fist when punching and hitting them like he was holding a discus in his hand? Clutching at straws? Yeah, that may be the case.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Did anyone ever get DQ'd in WWE for closed fist punching after 1984?

I think it was just warnings and five counts. Makes me wonder why they took as long as they did to make them fully legal.