DVDVR Message Board

MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK)

Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, Ant-Man and Shang-Chi are the only movies where we get the whole “start at the beginning of their powers/heroic lives”.

Everything else is joined in progress, more or less. Kate Bishop and Ms. Marvel are the only new entries that have gotten origin stories that actually start at the beginning, I’m pretty sure.

I’m unsure if Spider-Man: Freshman Year is going to do an origin story mixed with the year one stuff. But it’s possible, probably.

[Mindless Speculation]I was thinking about Phase 5, since it was announced the MCU will be back at Comic-Con, and I think I wouldn’t be surprised if Kang somehow turns out to be related to Doom rather than Richards, which is also what will lead to Secret Wars at some point.[/Mindless Speculation]

Just now, JonnyLaw said:

[Mindless Speculation]I was thinking about Phase 5, since it was announced the MCU will be back at Comic-Con, and I think I wouldn’t be surprised if Kang somehow turns out to be related to Doom rather than Richards, which is also what will lead to Secret Wars at some point.[/Mindless Speculation]

Incursions seem like the name of the game.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, Matt D said:

Definitely disagree. U Foes have been in video games and had trading cards, etc. They’ve been used plenty over the years and would probably make a top 10 Hulk foes list. ClanDestine is basically Marvel’s Sovereign 7. Only ever in their own comic and just two fairly limited runs. I thought they were creator owned by Davis. 

Only power nerds like you, me, and Mark remember the U-Foes.  BiBeast, the Glob, Wendigo, and the Harpy would round out Top 10 Hulk Villain list before the U-Foes.  Probably even the Grey Gargoyle.

Edited by J.T.

Man the U-Foes rock!

I think Wendigo and I think X-Men/Alpha Flight. I definitely see U-Foes in Hulk top ten villain list. I mean they rarely appeare anywhere but Hulk

James

On 6/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, J.H. said:

Man the U-Foes rock!

I think Wendigo and I think X-Men/Alpha Flight. I definitely see U-Foes in Hulk top ten villain list. I mean they rarely appeare anywhere but Hulk

James

I guess I should include James in the "The Only Power Nerds on Earth That Remember The U-Foes" list.

Top 10 Hulk Foes

1. The Leader  (Why no one has pulled the trigger on this guy and put him in a movie as a BBEG escapes me.  He's already in the MCU...)
  2. The Abomination
  3. Red Hulk / GEN Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
  4. The Maestro
  5. The Absorbing Man
  6. The Wendigo (First appearance in Hulk #162 / April 1973)
  7. The Grey Gargoyle
  8. BiBeast
  9. Zzzax
  10. Xemnu the Titan
Edited by J.T.

“If you have lived like I have, lost what I have.. you learn to find beauty in the pieces”. Nani a fuckin’ real one, move over Vision - she might have just taken your spot for most beautiful line in a MCU Disney+ show.

I’m so glad I was wrong about Red Dagger and it’s another character. I hope there’s a season 2 and we get more of Kareem.

I’m loving how her MCU suit is slowly coming together over the course of the show, it just doesn’t happen all at once. A piece from Bruno, a piece from Waleed and the Red Daggers, a piece from Nani… good shit.

If Thor landed in the Himalayan Mountains, he’d be called a Djinn too. That’s an interesting thing to say.

The constant Ant-Man references in this show is really making me think she’s going to Embiggen by the time it’s over with. That’ll give Giant Man and Goliath a run for their money!

But I need to know the connections to the Kree and the Ten Rings. There’s no way those are just Easter eggs, goddamnit!

Last thing: did Kamala time travel, or is she inside of a vision/memory/whatever? And if she did time travel: she’s going to be the one to help her Nani get back to the train with a trail of stars, isn’t she? TIME PARADOX!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

So much to cover but DAMN! That chase scene was incredible. I think what I appreciate most is tht it is teaching history I never got in school because... well what private school with mostly white kids is going to talk about the division of India/Pakistan?

Even if this is teaching about that in the most roundabout way it is something I never learned before and now I want to read more about it (I can only think of one American made drama that has touched on this subject and only really used it as plot device without delving too deeply in to the actual history).

James

• Like 3

Better episode this week for Ms. Marvel. I think it's fine they are developing her family characters, but I find the show is getting heavy on padding and subplots. I think they could use a bit more action and progression, but this week was a step in the right direction. 

Spoiler

My guess is they are going the whole causal loop route as Kamala will be the one who creates the starlights that help her young grandmother find her father during the Partition.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Everything involving Aisha and Kamala's nani was fantastic.

Everything that came after the partition stuff was REALLY rushed. I didn't have the same complaints that others did about the villains in this show, besides wondering why it's the Clan Destine, but the way they just rapid fire killed them off was nuts. And I don't fully understand what happened with Kamran at the end (or care, really). Kill him off in the finale, the money in Season 2 is building up the Red Dagger as Kamala's big villain, while introducing The Inventor and Thomas Edison.

I did like the brief bit between Kamala, her mom and her nani. Is that approval I see in your eyes, Mrs. Khan? ?

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Everything involving Aisha and Kamala's nani was fantastic.

Everything that came after the partition stuff was REALLY rushed. I didn't have the same complaints that others did about the villains in this show, besides wondering why it's the Clan Destine, but the way they just rapid fire killed them off was nuts. And I don't fully understand what happened with Kamran at the end (or care, really). Kill him off in the finale, the money in Season 2 is building up the Red Dagger as Kamala's big villain, while introducing The Inventor and Thomas Edison.

I did like the brief bit between Kamala, her mom and her nani. Is that approval I see in your eyes, Mrs. Khan? ?

Why would the Red Dagger be a villain?

My guess is that Kamran will fight Kamala in the finale. It appeared that the power of that veil or rift transferred over to Kamran or some such. 

The family stuff is touching, but I feel like this episode was massively anti-climactic. We haven't even seen Kamala Khan get her full costume and name yet and her main villain was already killed off. 

The writing for this show is very uneven. They really needed the Wrecking Crew or some cool mid-tier Marvel villains to throw at the heroes in some of these shows. 

Other than WandaVision, the villains in these shows have largely sucked. Look at how badly Kingpin was utilized in Hawkeye. They even cut his actual, dramatic introduction and instead show him for the first time in a blurry cellphone image.

Edited by TheVileOne

Oops, yeah I made a mistake. My mind went to the idea that it was Red Dagger in the comics that turned bad, but that was Kamran. D'oh.

Either way, bring me The Inventor and Thomas Edison in Season 2 goddamnit! Just go full on wacky with it, why not?

• Like 2

I enjoyed this week's episode more than I thought (I'm always leery of time travel stories). The family stuff is what sells this show for me, same as for the comic when it started.

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m with @TheVileOne re:there being a lot of ground to make up in the finale, which feels par for the course for these shows. I’m almost expecting a Captain Marvel cameo to reenact that rooftop scene from the comics and lead to her getting the name. As an aside regarding her name, I’m curious to see how the name comes across since there hasn’t been a Ms. Marvel and her lighting bolt emblem on her suit is now coming from her necklace rather than serving as a Ms. Marvel homage.

I also think any potential heel turn by Kamran due to whatever happened to him will just be teased for the next season, rather than the focus of the episode.  I think Damage Control will be the antagonists of the finale.

• Sad 1

Yeah season two, if there is one (and there better be or I will fuckin' rage), will probably be Kamala & Red Dagger versus Kamran. As long as there's more Red Dagger, I love Kareem.

I don't think there's going to be a Captain Marvel cameo. I'd put money on it being Monica Rambeau. They'll want to save the first interaction of Kamala & Carol for the movie, I'd imagine.

Just now, Casey said:

Yeah season two, if there is one (and there better be or I will fuckin' rage), will probably be Kamala & Red Dagger versus Kamran. As long as there's more Red Dagger, I love Kareem.

I don't think there's going to be a Captain Marvel cameo. I'd put money on it being Monica Rambeau. They'll want to save the first interaction of Kamala & Carol for the movie, I'd imagine.

If there's no Captain Marvel cameo that will be highly anti-climactic.

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

There is a Kamala cameo, she's listed for the cast

James

Where? All credible and semi-credible leaks for this show have ruled out a Carol cameo.