DVDVR Message Board

MS. MARVEL (SPOILER TALK)

On 6/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, Contentious C said:

My only nitpicky thought was how friggin' stupid is it that this convention had decorations that were so large and insane they could come off and threaten people's lives?  That's some Action Park-level crazy that didn't make a lot of sense except as plot convenience.

Well the convention DOES take place in New Jersey...

• Haha 2

Kamala’s powers don’t come from the bangles?! Almost like… the bangles unlock something inside of her… hmmm. Or she’s Thor’s cousin. One or the other.

Night Light, lmao.

That party scene with the orange juice is straight outta the comics, like panel for panel almost.

Mosque scenes, FBI surveillance of said mosque, mentioning the Partition… damn, Marvel goin’ hard with the statements here and I love it. I forgot the agent’s name, but the female one is racial profiling so hard.

An Eternals/Kingo reference! And yet another reference to Black Widow.

Oh, and let’s welcome back the EDITH drones from Far From Home!

That kid deserved a broken ankle for even putting the idea of ice cream on pizza out into the world.

I love this show so much, ya’ll. My heart is so full.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 6

I will not judge the Ice Cream Pizza thing, as I am one to mix my foods (though not a savory main dish with sweet dessert. I like left over mushu pork on my left over pizza). I loved the 2nd episode, as it is giving a glimpse of another culture through American lenses. This episode was all about learning about culture. The series thus far is more about family than anything (much like the comic) and really needs to be praised for that.

James

• Like 4

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Oh, that was 100% a Kree at the temple at the start of the episode. They're totally making Djinn/Clan Destine into Inhumans, holy fuck. This is happening, nobody can tell me different. I mean, they basically teased everyone that knows anything about Ms. Marvel in this episode when Kamran's mom was telling Kamala they're "known by many names".

Other random thoughts:

• Ten Rings symbol on the floor of that same temple. More than Spider-Man & Ms. Marvel team-up, I need a one shot episode eventually of Kamala & Katy (Awkwafina) meeting up and just hanging out. Their energies on-screen would be too much for my heart to handle.
  • Nakia is just the fuckin' best. How does she know the government can't enter a private place without a signed warrant? LAW AND ORDER RE-RUNS.
  • The kid at the wedding wearing the unused Hulk outfit that Kamala's mom made for her.
  • Aamir is told there's a fire. His first priority? "I gotta grab the money!"
  • Ms. Marvel creator Sana Amanat is in the crowd at the shaadi reception. It's blink and you miss it, but they do a close up of her for a second or two. I wonder if G. Willow Wilson is in it at any point, besides her name being on the plaque at Kamala's school.
  • This soundtrack is a banger. I never thought I'd like an MCU fight/chase scene set to Bon Jovi, but, here we are. Also, Brown Jovi?! That's amazing.
  • Nani totally has the other bangle, and when Kamala gets it, she's going to Embiggen eventually. There's just no way they introduce Ms. Marvel into the MCU, she gets her own show, and she DOESN'T do the thing she's most known for. Sidenote: while it's not the same, I totally marked out seeing Kamala doing the giant fist to punch dude, and then swiping the other three away.
  • As it is so far, Kamran is a good guy and that's a deviation from the comics since Red Dagger eventually betrays Kamala. Which I guess could still happen, maybe with the influence of his mother or something. But who knows! I'm here for the ride.
  • Like 5

I ran through Clan Destine v1 this morning as I haven't thought about it in years and man does that comic ever fall off a cliff when Alan Davis leaves the book midway. There's one Hitch-drawn issue in the back half which isn't terrible but yeesh. It's to the point that when Davis comes and does the 2006 comic he just pretends none of that ever happened and no one's going to care at all.

When it comes to Hostess pies...
Buy 1 Cherry and 1 Chocolate Pudding pie.

Take alternating bites of each
I'm a former fat guy, trust me
I know what I'm talking about

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if ClanDestine is one of the deepest cuts in an MCU show. 

ClanDestine came out in the 90's.  Is it really that deep of a cut?  

The U-Foes showing up on an episode of Disney's The Avengers was a deeper cut.  They are a decade older than ClanDestine and only have a handful of appearances in the comics.  ClanDestine had their own limited run.

Edited by J.T.

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

ClanDestine came out in the 90's.  Is it really that deep of a cut?  

The U-Foes showing up on an episode of Disney's The Avengers was a deeper cut.  They are a decade older than ClanDestine and only have a handful of appearances in the comics.  ClanDestine had their own limited run.

Definitely disagree. U Foes have been in video games and had trading cards, etc. They’ve been used plenty over the years and would probably make a top 10 Hulk foes list. ClanDestine is basically Marvel’s Sovereign 7. Only ever in their own comic and just two fairly limited runs. I thought they were creator owned by Davis. 

• Like 2

This was probably my favorite episode so far.  I'm finally really interested to see where it's going.

I think my favorite part of it is that they haven't gone overboard with making her seem like she can actually handle...well...anything.  She's just so clearly overwhelmed and that's a much-needed change from other heroes just getting it or their failures being relegated to the likes of Tony Stark's blooper reel.  It's going to make the payoff that much better.

34 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I think my favorite part of it is that they haven't gone overboard with making her seem like she can actually handle...well...anything.  She's just so clearly overwhelmed and that's a much-needed change from other heroes just getting it or their failures being relegated to the likes of Tony Stark's blooper reel.  It's going to make the payoff that much better.

How many other heroes have we actually seen get their start? I feel like we usually see some sort of failure in those stories. Feels weird to fault the blooper reel in movies which have much more limited time.

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How many other heroes have we actually seen get their start? I feel like we usually see some sort of failure in those stories. Feels weird to fault the blooper reel in movies which have much more limited time.

Most superhero films are origin stories, but the teen factor amplifies the awkwardness. Other than Peter, who’s probably the youngest person? The Maximoff kids (if they’re real kids)? Kate? I don’t remember if Patriot showed any powers in FWS. Bucky (the character at least)? 

Ironheart will be the 2nd youngest hero in the MCU when she makes her debut, I believe. I’m pretty sure Kamala is far and away the youngest as of right now. Shuri was 16 in Black Panther, I believe.

Spidey is something like 17 or 18. Kate is in her early 20s I’m pretty sure. Not sure about Patriot, but as of right now he was basically just an Easter egg type character. Bucky is old as fuck, though.

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Ummm...all of them?

Thor lost the hammer.  Steve literally got buffed.  Dr. Strange stopped being a Dr. and started being Strange.  Tony built his suit.  Carol went from Kree wetworks grunt to outer-space badass in 2 hours.  Pretty much the only ones who didn't were Wanda, Black Panther, Spidey, and Bucky, and that's because they didn't debut in their own films. 

I mean, part of it is the notion of a film that has to be self-contained and get itself over the finish line.  But this feels like it runs deeper.  Maybe Kate Bishop was more of a close comparison than I realized, but Kamala seems lucky to be in one piece so far, and she knows she's lucky, but maybe not *how* lucky.  It's setting aside the very trope-y "They're the Hero and they got this in the bag" kind of Mary Sue bullshit that the MCU has leaned into, as much because it was easy as because it made any sense to anyone.  And yet it's not played 100% for comedy like Ant-man or GotG. 

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Thor lost the hammer.  Steve literally got buffed.  Dr. Strange stopped being a Dr. and started being Strange.  Tony built his suit.  Carol went from Kree wetworks grunt to outer-space badass in 2 hours.  Pretty much the only ones who didn't were Wanda, Black Panther, Spidey, and Bucky, and that's because they didn't debut in their own films. 

Thor had been a warrior and hero for thousands of years already. We didn't see his start. We did see Strange take some time to learn magic and have some failures. Carol was already an outer space badass via said wetwork as a soldier. It feels like you are pushing an idea that isn't quite there as much or strong as you think it is. 

• Like 1