DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/3/2022

14 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just rewatched it. And I think I pinpointed the exact moment of injury. So when he dives into the crowd his left leg doesn't even go into the crowd. He's smiling. He's laughing. Shit is fine. When he goes back over the rail he lands on his left foot only, because his right leg is hungup in the rail. He kind of no sells it but you can tell waiting on the ramp something's up. And he does fiddle with it as FTR come out.

I'm pretty sure him coming down awkwardly on one foot leaving the railing is what caused the problem now. Ligament or bone damage from that alone probably wouldn't require surgery. Just be annoying. Be then he jammed that same foot again on the botched springboard. Which now in retrospect was probably botched because of the foot being janky. Jamming the foot like that definitely could have broken bones or torn ligaments.

Talk about a freak accident. To me it's pretty much a lock Tanahashi wins the interim title at the PPV tho. You make New Japan happy by giving them a big win over an AEW guy at the joint show. You make the fans happy seeing a top tier New Japan guy more often. You still get the Punk vs Tanahashi match when Punk is cleared. It's win-win-win. It's definitely a weird structure to get there tho. I figure if you were gonna run Mox vs Tanahashi... just announce that match. Why the song & dance? They may have Mox penciled in for something already and the battle royal is the way to throw in someone random without messing with the rankings too much.

It gives NJPW an important match to add to their Dominion show next week so this scenario helps their business partner.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, christopher.annino said:

Did Tony decide the ROH Women's title? Hell, Gresham and Bandido both had claim to the ROH Men's and that was pre-TK. 

Edit! Yeah I remember now Martinez was interim until they could get a match with Deonna. What else were they supposed to do? 

Mercedes wins a #1 contenders match instead of a interim title match, and then wins the belt from Deonna. There's very little point in making someone an interim champion for 33 days.

He booked two needless interim champion angles, and now that he needs to book another interim champion angle because of Punk's legitimate injury, it gets met with "fuck, not again" from some fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Mercedes wins a #1 contenders match instead of a interim title match, and then wins the belt from Deonna. There's very little point in making someone an interim champion for 33 days.

He booked two needless interim champion angles, and now that he needs to book another interim champion angle because of Punk's legitimate injury, it gets met with "fuck, not again" from some fans.

Alternatively, it’s conditioned the fans to expect and understand it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Alternatively, it’s conditioned the fans to expect and understand it. 

Yeah, I don't watch MMA so the concept of an interim champion has been new to me, and I like how they're going about it.

• Like 6

Boxing has had interim champions for decades. The idea of World Champion, Super World Champion and Champion Emeritus is more recent bollocks.

12 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Sort of a joke question but actually also seriously what do title histories for these interim titles end up looking like as the years go by? Like will this interim world title have a standalone history or is it like the next time the champ gets hurt and they declare a new interim champ that interim champ will be the "second" person to hold the interim belt and the title history will show the interim title as having been vacant since the previous unification with the actual world title? Could we potentially have an AEW figure who's won the interim title a bunch of times but never the world title, kind of akin to Goto with all his tournament wins but no IWGP?

generally the interim title is more of a footnote in the main title lineage. it's been pretty rare in MMA/UFC where an interim title stands on its own or has multiple consecutive champs, although that could happen.

yes, you could have someone be a 3x Interim champ but never become main champ. generally, that person would be announced as "former 3x interim champion" or whatever. if they would later win the big one  the mention of being a former interim champ largely goes away.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:41 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Lol at the ref stopping the count to watch Penta do the sunset flip powerbomb.

I mean, there is another combatant making contact with someone attempting a pin. I feel like that's a pretty good reason not to count, even though your point is totally valid.

For to two teams I can be kinda cold on I enjoyed the opener. Both of them can really play to their strengths in these sprints. Although that's the fourth or fifth time I've seen some variation of that finish involving Penta, Minor annoyance that The Bucks get a tv match in The Inland Empire but Scorpio didn't get a match in the forum only a pretaped promo. TK must be desperate to keep him heel.

Everything else was solid to good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

generally the interim title is more of a footnote in the main title lineage. it's been pretty rare in MMA/UFC where an interim title stands on its own or has multiple consecutive champs, although that could happen.

yes, you could have someone be a 3x Interim champ but never become main champ. generally, that person would be announced as "former 3x interim champion" or whatever. if they would later win the big one  the mention of being a former interim champ largely goes away.

So in that world an “Interim” but never main would be like holding a secondary belt? Like they wouldn’t be announced ever as champion but asterisked as interim?

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

So in that world an “Interim” but never main would be like holding a secondary belt? Like they wouldn’t be announced ever as champion but asterisked as interim?

well yes, but in mma there are no secondary titles. so an interim title is more like a "1B", while the IC/US/TNT title is the clear #2.

as far as interim pro wrestling titles, Coach Tony can pretty much set the precedence with this run. since i'm currently watching 1994 WCW, it's not unlike Rick Rude being the "WCW International World Champion". he was technically a world champ, but never presented as THE world champ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

I'm currently watching 1994 WCW, it's not unlike Rick Rude being the "WCW International World Champion". he was technically a world champ, but never presented as THE world champ.

WCW was holding it down in those days where the two most hated heels in the company (Rude and Vader) were also dominating the singles title picture. 

• Like 1