DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/3/2022

I’m at work, but I tuned into Rampage just in time for Punk’s announcement. The way the crowd was acting, his eyes red from crying (it seemed, anyway)… I was really fearing the worse here. I was prepared to be devastated.

Bummed we’re not getting Tanahashi/Punk but I’m just glad it’s nothing too serious and he’ll be back - and is keeping the World title. Dodged a bullet there. Maybe stop stage diving, Punk. Damnit!

Tony K, if you are reading this, please stop with the interim titles. What's the harm in saying Punk is hurt, so he can't defend, therefore number #1 contender Moxley is going to fight Tanahashi and the winner gets the next title match?

Unless you book Wardlow to win the battle royal, and let him run wild on Mox, Tana, and eventually Punk. All would be forgiven in that scenario.  ?

• Like 3

Bryan Danielson wins the Battle Royal on AEW Dynamite and beats Jon Moxley having lost to him at AEW Revolution 2022. Bryan becomes the Interim AEW World Champion at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Bryan Danielson has to be the next champion, right the wrong.

• Like 2

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada, Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi and Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr are dream matches to me. I may even give that up if Danielson wins the AEW World Championship. If he doesn't and we lose out on those, I'll be mega pissed. As long as Adam fucking Cole doesn't win the AEW World Championship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zimbra said:

They run a wrestling school and associated fed in Texas.  She is at least semi-retired from active competition, unfortunately, otherwise she would be awesome to come in to AEW for a spot or two.

Impact ran a Jazz retirement angle with her and Jordynne Grace last year for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I need to find one of her SUWA dropkick.

As I mentioned in the WWE TV thread, Fox ran an episode of Masterchef with Gordon Ramsay this week with WWE Superstars and the wrestlers involved were Miz/Maryse, Dolph Ziggler, Natalya and...Ember Moon. Nice timing for AEW, for the episode to run this week after her debut with them. (Apparently it was taped all the way back in 2019 but just aired this week, hence why they would have someone so long gone from WWE on the show!)

• Like 2

Sucks that Punk is hurt, as he was having a great run.

I am a bit selfishly excited that next week's Dynamite in KC won't be "not wasting our best stuff against the NBA" filler, though. Mox winning the belt here when the last time around he was a late scratch for health reasons would be a nice little arc, but there's no shortage of awesome choices if they wanted to go the surprise route. Danielson, Wardlow, Malakai, Miro to name a few.

• Like 2

Mox feels like the right choice for interim champ. When in doubt go with your biggest star. I dunno if NJPW wants to run AmDrag/Tanahashi outside of Japan, but he's also a possibility. 

Eddie would rule but I'd want to save that for him finally winning the big one, not the interim big one. 

MJF being a surprise entrant, beating Mox through chicanery and doing a Summer of MJF storyline while waiting for the eventual unification match with Punk down the line would also rule. 

That's why AEW is so great, their roster is so deep that even losing CM God Damn Punk they have a lot of options

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

MJF being a surprise entrant, beating Mox through chicanery and doing a Summer of MJF storyline while waiting for the eventual unification match with Punk down the line would also rule.

I could definitely see this happening, then you build to another big Punk vs MJF brawl at All Out (assuming Punk is healed by then)

• Like 2

I get this was an unplanned inconvenience but they just fudged the rankings as badly as the UFC with this Jon Moxley crap. This is why actual rankings in pro wrestling don't work. I would say, keep the stats and win-loss records, but not rankings.

I wonder if Punk broke his foot during his Dynamite entrance when he jumped into the crowd, looked like he hit the rail and was limping right after. He just have felt like such an idiot if that was it ?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Instead of the Interim AEW World Championship BS, do what wrestling has done for years, vacate the AEW World Championship and stick it on the top guy - Bryan Danielson. The guy who never lost the belt then challenges for it when he's recovered from injury. Simples.

"Last champ" rules ala Street Fighter back in the arcade. If the reigning champ isn't there, the most recent champ takes over.

Hangman should come out and declare himself champion again.

"I told you he'd do something like this! He wins a world title then runs away before he has to defend it!"

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tried to catch this right as the live feed ended, but fell back to sleep after the opener. That match tho! Yeah, I understand Bucks wanted to go all out in front of their crowd but this was still like to the Nth degree and then some! Through my sleep I heard commentators talking about Punk's announcement, but didn't hear the announcement itself. I saw the ending of the main event twice, but not the match itself yet.

I know that the concept of a "homegrown talent" in AEW is probably a waste of time to worry about anymore but I think this is what is needed for this interim title.  Unfortunately they haven't booked anyone to be put in that place.   I mean it would be nice to strap a rocket to Wardlow but not sure if he is ready for the real upper class of the division yet.    After that there is nobody else except putting it back on Adam Page.  Jungle Boy?   MJF?   Eddie Kingston should be a future world champ but not in this situation.  A goofy idea I was thinking is maybe Wheeler Yuta.  It also hurts that they already apparently booked them against Tanahashi so it has to be a high quality opponent or people will bitch about it.  

It has probably been asked on here but what is the latest status on Kenny Omega?