DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/3/2022

Rampage: 11 am Japan time this week I believe. Back to our regularly scheduled timeslot. Check your local listings.

YOUNG BUCKS vs LUCHA BROTHERS!!!!!! It's in California. Will the Bucks get face reactions like Britt in Pittsburgh or MJF in Long Island? Every time these teams meet, it's insane.

Also: Ember Moon Athena makes her AEW in-ring debut, vs Hulk Hogan! (note:  it is possible I misheard or misread something there). AEW's womens division keeps getting stronger! I am looking forward to this one. If I understand correctly,it's a Booker T trainee vs a Mr. Hughes trainee. I don't think I have actually seen Athena wrestle before, but I have heard good things. Hogan is definitely better in the ring than her namesake, in my opinion.

And Dante vs Scorp in a title match!! Same question: Will the SoCal guy with the Kobe tribute belt get cheers in The Forum? Dante Martin is from Minnesota, I believe. So are the Lakers! That's why they are called the Lakers. It's not like Los Angeles is famous for its lakes (nor is Utah famous for Jazz).

I wonder how Jazz and Rodney Mack are doing.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Young Bucks v Lucha Bros is always must-see TV.

Surprised we're getting it so soon after All Out 2021. There was a two year wait between All Out 2019 and All Out 2021.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I don't think I have actually seen Athena wrestle before, but I have heard good things. 

I didn’t see any of her main roster WWE work, but I remember this being good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Also: Ember Moon Athena makes her AEW in-ring debut, vs Hulk Hogan! (note:  it is possible I misheard or misread something there). AEW's womens division keeps getting stronger! I am looking forward to this one. If I understand correctly,it's a Booker T trainee vs a Mr. Hughes trainee. I don't think I have actually seen Athena wrestle before, but I have heard good things. 

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I didn’t see any of her main roster WWE work, but I remember this being good. 

Athena's best match by far. I'd say it's a top three Asuka match as well. I probably only have Asuka vs. Sasha Banks from the post Royal Rumble 2019 RAW and SummerSlam 2020 ahead of it. I'm not as keen on the Asuka/Charlotte Flair matches.

• Like 2

This is really a one match show for me and that's the Scorpio/Dante match. I like Kiera Hogan alot, but I never could get into Athena's WWE work, and Bucks/Lucha is whatever to me (it'll be fun to watch I'm sure but I'm not invested).

I'm optimistic but not overly excited.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Athena's best match by far. I'd say it's a top three Asuka match as well. 

I need to go back and watch all of her streak matches again. She was untouchable that year. 

• Like 2

Athena on UUDD is pure likable trash talking charisma. She has so much character and if she is allowed to/ can channel how strong her actual personality is then the world is he oyster in AEW.  Now let’s pray that her and all these other badasses get tv time to shine!

• Like 7

Spoiler

On 2/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, Matt D said:

Athena and Rosa went to a 30 minute draw. Athena's first match since her Ember Moon days four months ago and she was out to prove something. I can't say I was ever huge on Moon in WWE as I was never quite sure who or what she was supposed to be and that bled through into her ringwork. They company didn't know how to position her and never gave her a ton of opportunities. Certainly never a heel run and after seeing this, everything might have been different if they had. This was a little too 50-50 for me as it was worked as a "dream match." Both of them had control for a time but the transitions generally felt squishy. A couple of ring rust moments too where Athena was trying to base or hit stuff late. It's not to say that that most of the specific moments of the match weren't good in isolation.

Moreover, Athena showed me a lot when it came to her character work. She edged heel early off of a fake leg injury and never really looked back, though the crowd really didn't want to go along with it as it was her first match back in the wild. Terrible reactions to 2 counts and escaped submissions are an absolute plague upon modern wrestling and hers were some of the best I've seen recently. Just a real strength for her that's going to both serve her well and make everyone around her (Ruby, Cole, etc.) look all the worse for the comparison. Once she gets a few more matches back under her belt, I think there'll be an amazing heel run for her somewhere in 2022. Once Britt loses Hayter, I could see her bouncing back with an equal partnership with Athena in the back half of the year, for instance, something like that.

(Rosa was good as always and got to flex a little more given the extra time allotted here). 

My comments from February above. I don't think it's necessary for MOTY lists or anything but it's worth watching if you want to get a sense of what Athena, in the right situation, can do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:
  Hide contents

My comments from February above. I don't think it's necessary for MOTY lists or anything but it's worth watching if you want to get a sense of what Athena, in the right situation, can do.

Ooh. Will give that a watch later. Cheers, @Matt D.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Will the SoCal guy with the Kobe tribute belt get cheers in The Forum?

I think he got cheered on his backstage promo, but that was a small segment on a show that was two days ago so I barely remember.

Anyway, tonight's show is at the Toyota Arena in Ontario. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I wonder how Jazz and Rodney Mack are doing.

They run a wrestling school and associated fed in Texas.  She is at least semi-retired from active competition, unfortunately, otherwise she would be awesome to come in to AEW for a spot or two.

• Like 2

Now that production is set up they’ve added a bunch of great lower level seats. Honestly if you miss out on good tix when they go on sale, it might be best to just wait until the day of the show. You just have to be on top of it. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Now that production is set up they’ve added a bunch of great lower level seats. Honestly if you miss out on good tix when they go on sale, it might be best to just wait until the day of the show. You just have to be on top of it. 

How does the price of the (2 hours of) Dark and (an hour of Live) Rampage compare to say a Dynamite/Rampage combo?

AEW is the only national wrestling product that has me looking forward to it in the sense that I want to find out what happens next. WWE and Impact are both fine from a strictly inring perspective but lack that special something that makes me want to come back next time

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He could build every match for six months around his foot being hurt, have it be so that there aren't any high spots in any of the matches, and it'd be the best thing in the company anyway.

Defeat him with a spinning toe hold

• Like 1

I mentioned it in The Dynamite thread but he definitely tweaked his foot on the botched springboard. Not diving in the crowd. He started limping after the botched dive. And was fiddling with his foot and rolled up his kickpad right after the pin. The had his shoe off on his foot in that post show pic with FTR drinking the beers.

But I think this is more cleaver promotion and not him relinquishing the title or anything major. I think it's obvious the discourse from this board gets back to TK and he's just subverting our expectations. Or at least the vocal minority that claims 'hE's DoInG ThiS On PuRPose'.

• Like 2