DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR IN THE RING?

DEAN

WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?

• Kento Miyahara
    • Masha Slamovich
    • Kevin Owens
    • Biff Busick
    • Mei Suruga
    • Eddie Kingston

This one was TOUGH!  Kento Miyahara just has too many matches to be denied.  Kevin Owens has a giant body of work but only two really stand out matches.  Biff Busick is fucking great but not enough of his matches are available for viewing.  Eddie Kingston is going to win so I didn;t vote for him even though he is on an impossible roll.  Masha Slamovich would have gotten my vote if the guy on YouTube didn't post ten Kento Miyahara matches.  

When I first saw Eddie Kingston in the early aughts I thought he looked like a goof, but he clearly had great heel charisma. I just thought he'd fizzle out with injuries like all those other CZW dudes. I didn't follow the years between then and AEW, but from his first night in I was made aware of his talents like anybody else that didn't know. That said, I still didn't realize what a special talent he was/is. Pulling a great match out of Chris Jericho is shiny proof. That a guy like Kingston with his limited athletic ability can be credibly identified as one of the best on this incredible roster is a testament to what a great wrestling mind/talent he is.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I think the most important conclusion is 2022 has had some really good wrestling. Masha, Mei, Eddie, Kento, Biff, all done some great stuff this year (can't comment on Owens but I'd be surprised if he didn't).

I'm on the Miyahara bandwagon but there's no real bad choices here.

Went with Eddie Kingston. The match with Chris Jericho at AEW Revolution 2022 on my Birthday and Anarchy in the Arena at the weekend sealed the deal. Kingston is probably the most popular wrestler in AEW and think of the ground that covers.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I mean I usually want to take a women's option but Eddie Kingston is fantastic.

34 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Eddie. 

He came down to the ring with a gas can, covered in blood. 

This is why I voted for him & I was wearing a Kingston Shirt I bought from Him in 2013 when he did it. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’m going to vote Eddie, but I have to remark that the only person with no votes main evented Wrestlemania against Stone Cold Steve Austin. 

I'm sure that provides him significant comfort by far compared to what a bunch of nerds like us think, assuming his direct deposit for the show has cleared.

Kingston's had an incredible year, but as others have said, he's winning so he doesn't need my vote. Love Suruga but my vote goes to Masha. I've ended up always voting for the Impact person so far.

Masha's Impact squashes have all been fun but everything she's done elsewhere has been a blast. Seeing her live (vs Bryan Keith) in a superb match likely adds to her case for me. She's got that "oh shit thats gonna be awesome" feel every time I see a graphic for whatever match she has coming up on any given week. Blows my mind that she's still so young too but she is excellent.

• Like 2

I am one of the few, the proud, the 3 people who voted for Mei.  She can be a pure underdog face, a shit stirrer and a flat out heel  with ease and she uses her size as a weapon in very unique ways.  Just the news of her working with Stardom got me to subscribe to their streaming service and no one else on the ballot got me to do that.

• Like 3

I don't think I can vote for anyone but Kingston, sophistry aside, but I do appreciate how hard Mei seems to be trying to get better, how experimental she is in trying new things, and the unique challenge of playing multiple characters in multiple settings and adapting her ringwork accordingly.

• Like 5

Masha is probably my second-place pick but I've always liked Mei and dutifully apologize for just not having the time for ChocoPro. Biff is always awesome. Miyahara blows my mind but always burns me out when I go on a deep dive of his stuff- I like his big tag matches more this year then his (really good) singles stuff. I have no idea what happens in WWE. After DoN Eddie wins this in his sleep.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

And Kevin Owens is the first entrant to not make it on the board.  I assume a WWE person will step up to the plate!

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

And Kevin Owens is the first entrant to not make it on the board.  I assume a WWE person will step up to the plate!

And then furiously deny being a WWE person.

I really appreciate not having to choose between Bryan, Kingston, Ishii, and MiSu. So far. Will there be an "Ultimate Survivors" round?

Some day I'll have the time to watch all the footage and see what I have been missing.

It is really cool that you have been able to put so many of these together without a single nominee who feels like bullshit. Pro wrestling, right now, is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1