Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Pics and GIFS


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

No photo description available.

James

I remember that Stampede '94 match being on Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses DVD. That was such a fun brawl.

Speaking of which, that makes me miss those compilation DVDs they used to come out with. Promos, vignettes, matches from many different promotions. WWE used to put out some quality content, but I guess when you don't own all the promotions footage post 2002, it's kind of hard to get that same feel now...

(Does this mean an eventual AEW CM Punk DVD with matches from RoH as well?!)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

(Does this mean an eventual AEW CM Punk DVD with matches from RoH as well?!)

What is a DVD?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2022 at 6:57 PM, The Great ML said:

289608305_5282390051818551_4420203467683

I learned something new...before he was The Russian Bear, Ivan Koloff was known as an Irish brute, Red McNulty. This photo was taken in 1961.

 

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

He kind of looks like @The Natural there, only with an eye patch instead of sunglasses. 

LOL. Red McNatural/@Gordlow teamup!

On 6/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, bazzil said:

eaw9gsowwh791.jpg

 

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Oh shit! I turn 45 in a few months, in THAT case, I'm NOT looking forward to it!

I've had a colonoscopy. Worst thing is what needs to be done on the day itself before you have it done. I was given a general anaesthetic which suited me as going in I thought it was a local. Naturally (no pin intended) uncomfortable afterwards. Wouldn't recommend.

Good job Fartsauce got deservedly ethered into the Phantom Zone!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

No photo description available.

James

 

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I remember that Stampede '94 match being on Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses DVD. That was such a fun brawl.

Speaking of which, that makes me miss those compilation DVDs they used to come out with. Promos, vignettes, matches from many different promotions. WWE used to put out some quality content, but I guess when you don't own all the promotions footage post 2002, it's kind of hard to get that same feel now...

(Does this mean an eventual AEW CM Punk DVD with matches from RoH as well?!)

I still own that Mick Foley Greatest Hits and Misses DVD. I recently did my top ten Mick Foley's best matches and made my top ten. I miss those compilations. Last one I bought was 1996: Prelude to Attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brisco said:

What is a DVD?

 

16 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I felt this when I ordered a few DVDs off Amazon the other day. Thought to myself "am I even going to be able to watch this in 10 years".

I like streaming but still prefer physical media.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

 

I like streaming but still prefer physical media.

SAME. There's just something about physically owning something and knowing it can't be taken from you that I love.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

SAME. There's just something about physically owning something and knowing it can't be taken from you that I love.

I see this talking point about why physical media is superior to digital and I never really understood it. There's a lot of ways that physical media can be taken from you. It could accidentally be destroyed. It could be lost. It could be stolen. Someone could borrow it and just straight up not return it.

If you prefer the aesthetics of physical media, that's great, but I've had far more physical media damaged, lost, stolen, not returned, et cetera than I've ever had digital rights revoked on anything I've ever purchased.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I see this talking point about why physical media is superior to digital and I never really understood it. There's a lot of ways that physical media can be taken from you. It could accidentally be destroyed. It could be lost. It could be stolen. Someone could borrow it and just straight up not return it.

If you prefer the aesthetics of physical media, that's great, but I've had far more physical media damaged, lost, stolen, not returned, et cetera than I've ever had digital rights revoked on anything I've ever purchased.

I purchased Jurassic Park 1-3 on DVD. Now, if they ever take it off of HBOMax, I don't need to find a 3rd party site or jump through hoops in order to watch it. Plus, I get all the deleted scenes as well as the "making of" which you can't find anywhere. That's the stuff that matters to me. Of course a DVD or something can get destroyed or stolen, almost anything can - but nobody purchases anything with that assumption.

Besides, I'd assume someone would steal my $3,000 PC or hard drive (which, well, anything digital I own on there is now gone) before a $15 DVD, but to each their own in 2022.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I purchased Jurassic Park 1-3 on DVD. Now, if they ever take it off of HBOMax, I don't need to find a 3rd party site or jump through hoops in order to watch it. Plus, I get all the deleted scenes as well as the "making of" which you can't find anywhere. That's the stuff that matters to me. Of course a DVD or something can get destroyed or stolen, almost anything can - but nobody purchases anything with that assumption...

Besides, I'd assume someone would steal my $3,000 PC before a $15 DVD, but to each their own in 2022.

And when those discs fail due to disc rot or scratches, then what?

Edited by Stefanie the Human
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

And when those discs fail due to disc rot or scratches, then what?

Then that's on us. I would rather lose something I own because of my own carelessness than because of the whims of some media corporation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mystman said:

Then that's on us. I would rather lose something I own because of my own carelessness than because of the whims of some media corporation.

You know, I've purchased stuff from iTunes that's no longer available for purchase, and I can still download it even though it's long been pulled from distribution.

Maybe I've had albums go missing from streaming services that I can't access, but unless I bought it from a shady digital distributor, I can still access it.

Which is my point entirely. I can (and have) all sorts of maladies happen to my physical media, but if I accidentally delete my download of a movie... I just download it again from the store I bought it from. Easy peasy.

Unless y'all are dealing with pirate stuff, in which case that's your business, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A physical copy of a movie can't be altered at a later date, for example. Presumably the original prints of Star Wars and the original VHS tapes still have Han shooting first. The FBI agents in ET still have guns. Etc.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

A physical copy of a movie can't be altered at a later date, for example. Presumably the original prints of Star Wars and the original VHS tapes still have Han shooting first. The FBI agents in ET still have guns. Etc.  

Sure? But eventually you will need to maintain the technology to use that physical media (have you seen a new VCR on shelves lately?) or... transfer that physical media to digital for preservation.

OH NO WHAT NOW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Sure? But eventually you will need to maintain the technology to use that physical media (have you seen a new VCR on shelves lately?) or... transfer that physical media to digital for preservation.

OH NO WHAT NOW

No, but there's a litany available online where I purchased my DVD from if I really wanted one that badly. 

I will twist this to wrestling just to fit the theme of the board as Jurassic Park and my unadulterated love for it probably wouldn't be best suited for an apt comparison. 

If you wanted to go back and watch old ECW, WCW, or WWF - you can just as easily go to the Network right now. Everyone here knows that the amount of wrestling available right there is second to none. However, how watered down from their original airings are those? If I watched an episode of RAW on the Network now from 1998, how much stuff is blurred out or edited or bleeped due to the cursing? Now if you had some DVD's from the early 2000's, or VHS tapes, or what have you, you have about to as close to the original as possible. We are all fanatics to a degree for wrestling, that's why we're on this board. So as "historians" in some cases, I know we would much rather see what actually happened or as close to the original as possible without it being watered down.

In the case of my DVD, does it hold stuff that I can't see unless I own it? Yes it does. That's why it's so valuable to me. I literally can't find some of this stuff out there unless I own it. You wanna see a classic "Enter Sandman" ECW entrance? You better own a VHS or something of those early shows, cause if you try and show a new wrestling fan now, the experience the Network is going to show you isn't going to be the same as the VHS would be.

TL;DR - You're owning something that can't be altered at a later date, thus keeping it as close to OG as possible.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have dvd binders full of Goodhelmet dvds, but I sold off all of my other wrestling dvds years ago. I only have a small handful of movies on dvd/blu ray too. So, for visual media, I’m very reliant on streaming. 
 

Now, music is a different story. I sold off most of my cds, but have over 1,100 records in the house. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Log said:

I still have dvd binders full of Goodhelmet dvds, but I sold off all of my other wrestling dvds years ago. I only have a small handful of movies on dvd/blu ray too. So, for visual media, I’m very reliant on streaming. 
 

Now, music is a different story. I sold off most of my cds, but have over 1,100 records in the house. 

 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. Digital got to the point where I could download anything on a whim, so I figured if I REALLY wanted it, I'd get it on wax.

...I now also have over 1000 records haha

I’m not sure my count but I’d guess I have ~600 LPs, ~75 12” singles, ~500 7”, and a couple dozen 10”. I thinned my CDs out some but I still have a couple hundred plus 50 or so CD singles and maybe 70 burned CD albums. Plus 150 or so cassettes, some of which I’ve had for almost 40 years.

Once I was no longer able to rip my stuff to iTunes and my iPod died I realize how important it was to me to keep physical media.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

No, but there's a litany available online where I purchased my DVD from if I really wanted one that badly. 

I will twist this to wrestling just to fit the theme of the board as Jurassic Park and my unadulterated love for it probably wouldn't be best suited for an apt comparison. 

If you wanted to go back and watch old ECW, WCW, or WWF - you can just as easily go to the Network right now. Everyone here knows that the amount of wrestling available right there is second to none. However, how watered down from their original airings are those? If I watched an episode of RAW on the Network now from 1998, how much stuff is blurred out or edited or bleeped due to the cursing? Now if you had some DVD's from the early 2000's, or VHS tapes, or what have you, you have about to as close to the original as possible. We are all fanatics to a degree for wrestling, that's why we're on this board. So as "historians" in some cases, I know we would much rather see what actually happened or as close to the original as possible without it being watered down.

In the case of my DVD, does it hold stuff that I can't see unless I own it? Yes it does. That's why it's so valuable to me. I literally can't find some of this stuff out there unless I own it. You wanna see a classic "Enter Sandman" ECW entrance? You better own a VHS or something of those early shows, cause if you try and show a new wrestling fan now, the experience the Network is going to show you isn't going to be the same as the VHS would be.

TL;DR - You're owning something that can't be altered at a later date, thus keeping it as close to OG as possible.

There are fanmade restoration projects for pretty much anything you could want, where fans take digital media and scrub the production overdub music, then redub in the original. Literally ECW's entire run has been given this restoration project.

So if I want to watch the classic "Enter Sandman" ECW entrance, can I watch it? I sure can. I just need to go through an alternate channel. Bootlegs have gotten way more sophisticated and flexible thanks to digital media.

But let's go back to your "historian" take, and how we bemoan lost footage. My favorite promotion of the 1990s is a joshi promotion that didn't release a ton of footage, and if it did, it was clipped. My favorite commercial tape was the first joshi tape I ever bought, and it holds sentimental value to me. But does the physical tape still exist anymore? No. It was accidentally lost in a move in 2004, and I had to buy a bootleg DVD from Jeff Lynch almost a decade later, which I then immediately ripped to digital and put in my cloud storage. No clue where that DVD he sent me is, but any time I want to call up that tape, it's sitting there on my Plex server, waiting for me. And unless my cloud storage ever fails, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Now, that's just one tape. What if I wanted to watch that whole event? In the case of the tape, it was a tag team tournament that was clipped to hell. The footage obviously exists somewhere, because it was used to make that tape, it was just never released. But because Arsion is fairly obscure in 2022 compared to 1998 and hardly anyone cares about the Twinstar of Arsion 1998 league aside from me, much less knows who owns the rights to release that footage, is there any chance we'll ever see that footage released in full? Probably not. Will the clipped commercial tape ever be re-released? Extremely doubtful.

THAT is the sort of stuff I worry about when it comes to history, not "oh no, the music is changed" or "this one scene is changed". Because literally 22 matches got chopped up to fit onto a one hour, 45 minute tape, and practically all of the uncut footage is either sitting on rotting master tapes or was deleted/trashed when the promotion was sold off and became A to Z, never to see the light of day. And yeah, maybe it's a niche interest that concerns an ever-decreasing amount of people over time, but we all have to have hobbies, right? If that footage was digitized and stored somewhere, even if I don't have access to it personally, as a fan of Arsion I'd feel a little bit better because at least I know it existed. ECW fans, as much as I'm sure they're cranky about music changes, can still watch ECW. I can watch crumbs of my old favorites and see them become lost to time due to the frailties of physical media and the... what was it? Whims of a media company?

Sounds about right.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...