DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Pics and GIFS

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

That first gif reminded me of the Mania 2 batttle royal I just watched where at least two participants necked themselves on the bottom rope on the way out.  Russ Francis in particular hit the rope really grotesquely. 

I remain stunned Bill Fralic didn’t pursue a career in wrestling.  He seemed to get it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It rules that 90s AJPW was like 80% some of the most involved and sober-minded wrestling you can make and 20% Eigen spit-takes and Virtua Fighter characters.

It's actually charming. Baba took himself out of the top tier and spent the last ten years of his career doing comedy matches with his cronies for shits and giggles. Literally putting smiles on fans' faces, getting in some cardio and rewarding vets for their service by giving them something to do. I mean can you imagine if half of Hogan's WCW matches were done for intentional midcard comedy instead of stinking up main events?

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's actually charming. Baba took himself out of the top tier and spent the last ten years of his career doing comedy matches with his cronies for shits and giggles. Literally putting smiles on fans' faces, getting in some cardio and rewarding vets for their service by giving them something to do. I mean can you imagine if half of Hogan's WCW matches were done for intentional midcard comedy instead of stinking up main events?

Oh yeah, the old guy comedy tags are one of those things that I don't particularly enjoy watching, but I'm glad that they existed.

The comedy parts of AJPW 90's were labled 楽しいプロレス or Fun Pro Wrestling, which allowed the forbidden mic appeal (Rusher Kimura) and comical movements for those type of matches. The Haruka Eigen unit were actually heels, the unit's name was 悪役商会 or Villain Shokai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Why was he named after Canada's national sport?

And why wasn't there a Jeffry McWild wrestler as well?

No explanation was given for the Lacrosse name. The Lacrosse became a member of the Patriot's US Air Force Corps. In Japan they did not use the e at the end, so the Lacross.

He got shoot crushed by Jun's elbow bat and lost to Jun under 2 mins.

They didn't bother at all with Jeffry McWild.

Edited by Blue Dragon

17 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

No explanation was given for the Lacrosse name. The Lacrosse became a member of the Patriot's US Air Force Corps. In Japan they did not use the e at the end.

He got shoot crushed by Jun's elbow bat and lost to Jun under 2 mins.

They didn't bother at all with Jeffry McWild.

I thought there was some sort of military connotation to it. ISTR Lacrosse, Eagle (George Hines) and Falcon (Steve Armstrong) were all in Patriot's group.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I thought there was some sort of military connotation to it. ISTR Lacrosse, Eagle (George Hines) and Falcon (Steve Armstrong) were all in Patriot's group.

Did you say you wanted to watch an hour+ survival tag with these guys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Could argue the faction was more about sports and american gridiron football if you ignore the name of the unit. 3 share Football team names I think. Hines played Football. Jim Steele was known to be weaker according to Baba. So the dig at Lacrosse as a sport maybe?

18 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

Wait,  are we blaming Ronda for that, knowing full well that they script all their promos? I don't think Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Mick Foley,  or The Rock could make that sound much better.

• Like 1

The Second Game for Arcade and Dreamcast. GIANT GRAM All Japan Pro Wrestling 2 in Nippon Budokan. 

They added VF metallic sounds for some striking hits sound effects.  

ae2efa0e-c12e-484a-895d-a01f49cff81a.pngHDR0005back.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Did you say you wanted to watch an hour+ survival tag with these guys?

That's a format that needs to come back. 4-on-4, two at a time, basically a best of 5 match.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Could argue the faction was more about sports and american gridiron football if you ignore the name of the unit. 3 share Football team names I think. Hines played Football. Jim Steele was known to be weaker according to Baba. So the dig at Lacrosse as a sport maybe?

They're all USAF missiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, cwoy2j said:

This is causing me some...complicated...feelings

On 6/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, Wee Bey said:

This ignores the preceding part where some malevolent combination of WWE writing and Shotzi's SNEERING heel voice created one of the worst promos I've ever heard. Was watching it at my parents' place while my mom was cooking dinner and heard "Jeeeeesus, who is that? It's the worst thing I've ever heard." She was wrong... because a few weeks before this Shotzi called Raquel "you absurd Amazon!" and that was the worst thing ever heard but this was close. 

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

The Second Game for Arcade and Dreamcast. GIANT GRAM All Japan Pro Wrestling 2 in Nippon Budokan. 

They added VF metallic sounds for some striking hits sound effects.  

ae2efa0e-c12e-484a-895d-a01f49cff81a.pngHDR0005back.jpg

I still have my copy of Giant Gram 2000 but I doubt I can figure out how to play it and be good. I also had the Saturn version way back in the day. I might have to try firing it up with my newly purchased Gameshark and see if I can get GG 2000 to work. You're supposed to be able to play imports with the GS but when I tried Toukon Restuden 4 the other day, it didn't boot up.

• Like 1