DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yep, an Internet supehero posted a sly pic of him, at his job, on Reddit.  I'm kind of bothered by it, man, I don't know.  I mean the guy did bad shit and lost his wrestling career because of it (we hope!), and rightfully so!  He should not be in a locker room ever again.  But should he be hounded at his next job, and the one after that, etc?  If he gets a gig at a 7-11 somewhere in the valley, should we tweet at his boss? 

Considering he tried to sue his victims into silence by filing defamation lawsuits against them... yeah I don't care about the consequences he faces.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yep, an Internet supehero posted a sly pic of him, at his job, on Reddit.  I'm kind of bothered by it, man, I don't know.  I mean the guy did bad shit and lost his wrestling career because of it (we hope!), and rightfully so!  He should not be in a locker room ever again.  But should he be hounded at his next job, and the one after that, etc?  If he gets a gig at a 7-11 somewhere in the valley, should we tweet at his boss? 

There are levels to this shit. 

I'm not saying that everyone who makes a social transgression needs to be followed by that transgression through life, but if they sexually assault people, try to cover it up, fling lawsuits at the victims, and decide that a right-wing religious grift attempt is a legitimate strategy, well, that's compound interest right there. Fuck this dude and his job prospects. 

• Like 14

I don’t know, he’ll land on his feet or he won’t. I think about how many people just moved on with their careers after speaking out, and the fact that he’s persona non grata in the industry is an indication of exactly how awful he must’ve been.  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
25 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not specifically about this case, but some friends and I were talking about how the concepts of rehabilitation and forgiveness have been lost in many circles, on both sides of the divide. 

Literally the only ones who should be deciding forgiveness for those who have committed sexual harassment/assault would be the victims of the perpetrator.

Nobody ever seems to care about them, though.

(And with that, I'll be checking out of this thread for my own mental health. Good going having this discussion happen on the last day of the month so it guarantees a lock.)

In some cases, I agree with you @odessastepsessasteps, so I gave you the like. But overall, in this case, I have to agree with @Stefanie the Humanand @SirSmellingtonofCascadia The sudden God squad stuff really, really did not sit well with me at all. I saw the Disneyland picture and whether it's a coincidence or not, he's standing around three really young looking girls. No good.

I made Logan Paul for Fire Pro World a few years ago. Might have to update him now, if nobody else has made a better version.

Spoiler

His finisher was a Double Handed Chokeslam, because in the earlier versions of Fire Pro, that move was called the 

Spoiler

Neck Hanging Tree Bomb

I did get a random Japanese comment thanking me for making him, so presumably a few people have been having Mr Pogo slice him up for quite a while now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, Technico Support said:

Hey hey, I'm slowly continuing working through my 80s/90s WWF nostalgia tour and I'm still working on Mania 3.  Read if you like!

Rougeaus vs The Dream Team: this is part two in a three part series called "turn Beefcake into an over face!"  Part one was on WWF TV, where the Dream Team teamed up with Adonis in the buildup to the Piper match (up next).  Adonis was eager to show off his barbering skills but was somehow blinded and ended up cutting Beefcake's hair.  So now we get to this bout.  It's an above average rematch from The Big Event and somebody please tell me this wasn't a house show match for seven months!  Nice psychology on the finish (sort of, hang on) where Beefcake accidentally hits Valentine with a forearm BUT Dino Bravo interferes to secure the heels' win.  In two moves, Dino is proven more valuable to the bad guy team then Beefcake, and they leave without him.  That was really cool.  But wait a minute...if this is leading to a face turn, it's kind of weak because it's not like Beefcake did anything good or valiant (pardon the pun!) here.  He just screwed something up.  But whatever, it all worked out in the end.  Did The Rougeaus segue into a program with The New Dream Team after this?  That team only lasted a few months because the second rule of wrestling, after "black dudes must always team or feud" is "The NEW something gimmick never works."

Piper vs Adonis, hair match: Piper is retiring after this.  I was such a Piper mark at this point in my life.  I think I retired my Hot Rod t-shirt in solidarity.  Did Piper really intend to retire or was this just a gimmick?  I mean he was gone for two years and then still didn't wrestle for a while after that, so I'll lean toward "he really did want to retire but Hell Comes to Frogtown didn't pay the bills."   Anyway, it's cool that they recap the feud -- I was at the TV tapings where Adonis and his crew jumped Piper and then "next week" he got his revenge.  Fun match that's all sheer lunacy to start, with Piper fighting off both Adonis and Jimmy Hart who is just busting his ass out there.  Christ, Adonis was so good.  Also, quick shout out to @Dolfan in NYC who wrote a GREAT thread watching every Mania.  He mentioned how (I think it was during Mania 3) it REALLY looked like the boys had gotten some more effective new candy and holy shit is Piper cut and big here.  Match ends with Adonis putting Piper to sleep but breaking the hold prematurely.  Then Operation Turn Beefcake pays off as Brutus wakes Piper up and then Piper puts Adonis to sleep for the win.  Beefcake gets more of the rub as he cuts Adonis' hair and FOR FUCK'S SAKE STOP USING CLIPPERS ON LONG, WET HAIR.  Beef gives that up after an agonizingly long time and gets the scissors.  Fun sendoff for Piper and nice work dovetailing another program into this one to give another guy a rub.  A fan hits the ring to celebrate with Piper and how did I never notice the dude getting mobbed at the end?

That's all for now!  Thanks for reading if you got this far.  Bulldogs & Tito vs Hart Foundation & Danny Davis is up next.

EDIT: I came back to say they should have blurred out the massive AIDS ADONIS banner when they were doing Peacock edits to the footage.  Forget "looking at it through 2022 eyes."  That shit was fucked up THEN.

I watched some 80's WWF on the free network during the pandemic, Beefcake was a guy who I found surprisingly solid considering his rep. I kinda chalk it up to Vince signing guys in their 30s and 40s during the expansion. So you have guys like Dibase, JYD, Duggan and Butch Reed who had higher ceilings but their best days where probably behind them in other promotions

and apros of nothing Hell Comes To Frogtown has a surprisingly similar plot to Mad Max Fury Road (I also watched Hell Come to Frogtown over the pandemic)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I made Logan Paul for Fire Pro World a few years ago. Might have to update him now, if nobody else has made a better version.

Reveal hidden contents

His finisher was a Double Handed Chokeslam, because in the earlier versions of Fire Pro, that move was called the 

Reveal hidden contents

Neck Hanging Tree Bomb

I did get a random Japanese comment thanking me for making him, so presumably a few people have been having Mr Pogo slice him up for quite a while now.

Weirdly doesn't come up if searching "Logan Paul", so I didn't think there was one up and found your Jake Paul instead a while back. But just searching "Logan", then he does come up so I see him now.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I think he should be allowed to have a job, but not one that puts him around minors and young women. If he wants to go say work in a warehouse or load trucks cool, but this feels like it feeds into his numerous bad behaviors and it is good people spoke up before hopefully more were victimized.

• Like 7

Adding to the "the victims are the ones who should decide if he's forgiven" point... This is also not a person who has done anything to warrant public forgiveness. He's doubled down, done his best to stifle people talking about what a prick he is, and been a sanctimonious jackass about it all. Fuck Joey Ryan.

• Like 12