DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I've been offline most of the past few days and didn't watch Forbidden Door. Heard it was good though. Definitely looking forward to Blood and Guts tomorrow night and Impact "Against All Odds" and Money in the Bank this weekend!

How's everyone been?

47 minutes ago, onelegbrynn said:

I've been offline most of the past few days and didn't watch Forbidden Door. Heard it was good though. Definitely looking forward to Blood and Guts tomorrow night and Impact "Against All Odds" and Money in the Bank this weekend!

How's everyone been?

You should watch Forbidden Door.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, onelegbrynn said:

How's everyone been?

I've been trying to avoid spoilers for Forbidden Door, hoping that I could find time to watch yesterday (didn't happen) or today (probably not happening). But I've had the three major surprises spoiled, so maybe I should just go ahead and read the 26 page thread in the AEW folder.

• Like 2

AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door is the best wrestling show this year from top to bottom whereas AEW Revolution had three better matches (Punk/MJF I gave *****, Moxley/Danielson and Kingston/Jericho) Forbidden Door was better paced than AEW Double or Nothing which went way too long.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door is the best wrestling show this year from top to bottom whereas AEW Revolution had three better matches (Punk/MJF I gave *****, Moxley/Danielson and Kingston/Jericho) Forbidden Door was better paced than AEW Double or Nothing which went way too long.

Best way to describe the show is that it was essentially the legendary Canadian Stampede IYH PPV (nothing but really good to great matches) only twice as long. 

• Like 4

I like Angels but he really didn't add much to AEW. He's got some name value now so he can do indys and get some decent paydays I'm sure. Maybe he and Grayson can do some indy shots together or something. 

• Like 2

Hey hey, I'm slowly continuing working through my 80s/90s WWF nostalgia tour and I'm still working on Mania 3.  Read if you like!

Rougeaus vs The Dream Team: this is part two in a three part series called "turn Beefcake into an over face!"  Part one was on WWF TV, where the Dream Team teamed up with Adonis in the buildup to the Piper match (up next).  Adonis was eager to show off his barbering skills but was somehow blinded and ended up cutting Beefcake's hair.  So now we get to this bout.  It's an above average rematch from The Big Event and somebody please tell me this wasn't a house show match for seven months!  Nice psychology on the finish (sort of, hang on) where Beefcake accidentally hits Valentine with a forearm BUT Dino Bravo interferes to secure the heels' win.  In two moves, Dino is proven more valuable to the bad guy team then Beefcake, and they leave without him.  That was really cool.  But wait a minute...if this is leading to a face turn, it's kind of weak because it's not like Beefcake did anything good or valiant (pardon the pun!) here.  He just screwed something up.  But whatever, it all worked out in the end.  Did The Rougeaus segue into a program with The New Dream Team after this?  That team only lasted a few months because the second rule of wrestling, after "black dudes must always team or feud" is "The NEW something gimmick never works."

Piper vs Adonis, hair match: Piper is retiring after this.  I was such a Piper mark at this point in my life.  I think I retired my Hot Rod t-shirt in solidarity.  Did Piper really intend to retire or was this just a gimmick?  I mean he was gone for two years and then still didn't wrestle for a while after that, so I'll lean toward "he really did want to retire but Hell Comes to Frogtown didn't pay the bills."   Anyway, it's cool that they recap the feud -- I was at the TV tapings where Adonis and his crew jumped Piper and then "next week" he got his revenge.  Fun match that's all sheer lunacy to start, with Piper fighting off both Adonis and Jimmy Hart who is just busting his ass out there.  Christ, Adonis was so good.  Also, quick shout out to @Dolfan in NYC who wrote a GREAT thread watching every Mania.  He mentioned how (I think it was during Mania 3) it REALLY looked like the boys had gotten some more effective new candy and holy shit is Piper cut and big here.  Match ends with Adonis putting Piper to sleep but breaking the hold prematurely.  Then Operation Turn Beefcake pays off as Brutus wakes Piper up and then Piper puts Adonis to sleep for the win.  Beefcake gets more of the rub as he cuts Adonis' hair and FOR FUCK'S SAKE STOP USING CLIPPERS ON LONG, WET HAIR.  Beef gives that up after an agonizingly long time and gets the scissors.  Fun sendoff for Piper and nice work dovetailing another program into this one to give another guy a rub.  A fan hits the ring to celebrate with Piper and how did I never notice the dude getting mobbed at the end?

That's all for now!  Thanks for reading if you got this far.  Bulldogs & Tito vs Hart Foundation & Danny Davis is up next.

EDIT: I came back to say they should have blurred out the massive AIDS ADONIS banner when they were doing Peacock edits to the footage.  Forget "looking at it through 2022 eyes."  That shit was fucked up THEN.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Who is she?

Addendum to the above: I think the fact she has a pretty healthy following (similar to Jade Cargill pre-AEW and PVZ) through IG, Onlyfans, and various online forums, I think it made it a no brainer for WWE to sign her if AEW didn't. That said, I think it's pretty telling that she gave up on MMA that easy. I think she realized her ceiling in fighting early on wasn't that high, and went for the much easier payday (unlike PVZ who I believe still has an active, valid contract with Bareknuckle FC despite making no actual progress as a legit combat athlete). To elaborate on what Niner was talking about, she was more famous for twerking than fighting even though she's suppose to be a decorated TKD athlete. IMO I think Scott Coker, who runs Bellator, thought she could be the next Gina Carano and was going to put the marketing machine behind her. Unfortunately, again, her ceiling wasn't that high because she couldn't even make it out of the Bellator prelims. That wasn't a good sign at all.

It's going to be intriguing though because she's probably going to get a new name. Jade can still be Jade. Paige VanZant can still be Paige VanZant. I have no clue who and what Valerie Loureda is outside of her name and being a smoke show. If WWE wants her to just be a pretty face, she can be that. I don't see WWE being able to make her this crossover star like UFC could have done with PVZ had she been a much better fighter. Also, I don't know how passionate she is about pro wrestling. She could be a big success story like Matt Riddle or she can just be at the WWE PC forever until she gets released during one of their cullings. It could go either way.

• Like 4

I saw on F4W today that Two Dimes/Cole Karter was released by WWE for failing a drug test. I think that's the first I've seen of a reason being reported behind the firing.

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Addendum to the above: I think the fact she has a pretty healthy following (similar to Jade Cargill pre-AEW and PVZ) through IG, Onlyfans, and various online forums, I think it made it a no brainer for WWE to sign her if AEW didn't. That said, I think it's pretty telling that she gave up on MMA that easy. I think she realized her ceiling in fighting early on wasn't that high, and went for the much easier payday (unlike PVZ who I believe still has an active, valid contract with Bareknuckle FC despite making no actual progress as a legit combat athlete). To elaborate on what Niner was talking about, she was more famous for twerking than fighting even though she's suppose to be a decorated TKD athlete. IMO I think Scott Coker, who runs Bellator, thought she could be the next Gina Carano and was going to put the marketing machine behind her. Unfortunately, again, her ceiling wasn't that high because she couldn't even make it out of the Bellator prelims. That wasn't a good sign at all.

It's going to be intriguing though because she's probably going to get a new name. Jade can still be Jade. Paige VanZant can still be Paige VanZant. I have no clue who and what Valerie Loureda is outside of her name and being a smoke show. If WWE wants her to just be a pretty face, she can be that. I don't see WWE being able to make her this crossover star like UFC could have done with PVZ had she been a much better fighter. Also, I don't know how passionate she is about pro wrestling. She could be a big success story like Matt Riddle or she can just be at the WWE PC forever until she gets released during one of their cullings. It could go either way.

(a cheap knockoff of War hits, maybe with trap beats) "and her opponent, Val Low Rider" (in walks Loureda in a "sexy" chola outfit and starts twerking)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

(a cheap knockoff of War hits, maybe with trap beats) "and her opponent, Val Low Rider" (in walks Loureda in a "sexy" chola outfit and starts twerking)

Countdown to her NXT name being "Maria Conchita Alonso".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

The best thing about Logan Paul is he'll never bury someone.

disappointed-bunk-moreland.gif

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Ace said:

Last week, it was discovered Joey Ryan was working at Disneyland as a guide on the Jungle Cruise. Disneyland has since released him.

Yep, an Internet supehero posted a sly pic of him, at his job, on Reddit.  I'm kind of bothered by it, man, I don't know.  I mean the guy did bad shit and lost his wrestling career because of it (we hope!), and rightfully so!  He should not be in a locker room ever again.  But should he be hounded at his next job, and the one after that, etc?  If he gets a gig at a 7-11 somewhere in the valley, should we tweet at his boss? 

• Like 3