DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Had the two VCR’s and may or may not have copied some movies, by the time the copy protection rolled around I had access to all of the movie channels and would tape whatever off those. 

I had some tiny black box to put between the decks that would kill the copy protection.

I rented Japanese TV wrestling tapes every week (or month later) and copied them since 1992, changing to DVD recorders as soon as they came out. I only switched to downloading within the last 10 years. I sent the Japanese tapes to a few different people every month that would respectively send me Mexico, Memphis, and SMW. I traded for years with some people that I came into contact with when the back page of the Observer would print trader's addresses.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ka-to said:

I had some tiny black box to put between the decks that would kill the copy protection.

I rented Japanese TV wrestling tapes every week (or month later) and copied them since 1992, changing to DVD recorders as soon as they came out. I only switched to downloading within the last 10 years. I sent the Japanese tapes to a few different people every month that would respectively send me Mexico, Memphis, and SMW. I traded for years with some people that I came into contact with when the back page of the Observer would print trader's addresses.

How many of them ended up being pro wrestlers?

• Like 1

I used to get tapes from a few folks on a different message board in high school and college. Mostly Toryumon/Dragon Gate, AJPW, and anything with Momore Nakanishi because man could that lady take a beating and make you feel for her.

I think I got something off of Highspots at some point too.

I'm pretty sure the tapes are in my old room at my mom's place because she never goes up there. Not even sure how or where I'd get a VCR to watch them and even if I'd want to with the quality.

• Like 1

How'd we never get a Salman Rushdie inspired angle in SMW or ECW? 

I vaguely remember a Rodney King inspired promo or two from New Jack, but hey..modernish take on the Race bounty angle with killer heels coming into the territory to make good on the fatwa issued against the guy talking serious shit in his promos against Islam.

14 hours ago, JLowe said:

How many of them ended up being pro wrestlers?

If you want a fun/ interesting thing to do go through all the back issues on the WON site and see how many people in The Reader's Page you recognize.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

That reminds me that I just found out about this. 

Hide contents

90-FB540-A-30-EA-49-D2-B996-1-FEA3-B7-CE

Damn, girl. Ya know I wanna stay and smash, but that darn fatwa means I gotta be moving on ; ) 

Typical click bait. That's Sal Bass pictured.

• Like 2

So I was at the run yesterday with Mandy when I complemented one of the other dog dads on his Inner Circle shirt. Guy sidled over, pulled out his phone and showed all sorts of selfies with them backstage from AEW Grand Slam... then some clips of him working out in the ring. Turns out Joey Ace (of ECWA, various sundry indies and an AEW Dark cameo) has been living in my complex the entire time. What a funny world.

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, clintthecrippler said:

And on the topic of Duggan's post Mid-South selfishness, goddamn I want to know what Vince told him to go along with getting absolutely destroyed by Yokozuna the way he did. Vince probably promised Duggan a title program after Yoko got the belt knowing damn well that he had no intention of putting Hacksaw in that position. 

You I was wondering this so I checked cage match. The flag incident was actually the start of a long house show program between Hacksaw and Yoko including when Yoko was champ. Hacksaw loses to him at Summerslam spectacular which is his last WWF/E match until he starts popping up as a legend in the 2000's 

• Like 1