DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Think I've mentioned it before, but we really do underrate Jim Duggan as far as most selfish guys in the business go.

I remember his BATB 96 undercard match against DDP, who was just starting his big push. Duggan gave him nothing for 5 minutes until the Diamond Cutter finish and then promptly got back up and beat him up after the match.

On the other hand, he was really nice to me and every other fan I saw him interact with over a couple different meet and greets, so Hacksaw is a land of contrasts.

• Like 1

One time I won radio contest tickets to a WWE house show meet and greet. I guess this would’ve been 2006. The meeting was with Duggan, who was a condescending dick, and Eugene, who was clearly mortified to have to do his character in one on one situations and sat there looking glum and not speaking. At least it was free. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So my nostalgia tour of 80s WWF on Peacock ROLLS ON (tm Michael Cole) as I kicked off Wrestlemania 3!  Boy, is the Wikipedia "talk" page for this one a mess, with level headed people on one side and MAAAAAARKS on the other sniping eachother endlessly about the attendance!   Something obviously untrue being defended tooth and nail by regular people hoodwinked by carnies.  Some things never change!

Everybody knows it was over 93 000, but roughly 15 000 were swallowed by the void created when Hogan slammed 60,000 lbs André. Hogan then danced with John Belushi. 

• Haha 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Think I've mentioned it before, but we really do underrate Jim Duggan as far as most selfish guys in the business go. 

Seemingly just went out of his way to make people look bad. Austin at Starrcade and Berlyn at Halloween Havoc 99 the biggest examples. There's a lumberjack match with Shawn on Raw in 93 where he just doesn't sell for him. I'm watching an early episode of Thunder where he barely sells for MENG of all people. Tongan Death Grip is treated as a death finisher at this time, and yet it barely keeps him down for a three count.

Can't think of a single match he had where he made anyone look good?

Mid-South Duggan is a treasure. There's a promo he does after he is (off-camera) jumped in the parking lot by Ted DiBiase where he's covered in blood, and he can barely stand up, but he had crawled back into the building because he swore he'd stand up to Steve Williams even though DiBiase said he was too afraid to do so. (That description makes it sound like I'm playing into what you're mentioning, but it's... well... see for yourself.)

Anything after Mid-South, it pales in comparison.

Jim Duggan had one of those “Wrestling match turns into real fight” deals with Matt Borne, when they were both pushing 60. It’s very embarrassing to watch.

One of the early kayfabe-busters I recall was when Duggan and Iron Sheik, mortal enemies in WWF programming, were driving together between shows and were busted by NJ State troopers with weed and coke.

I liked the Mid-South stuff I saw, then once he got his WWF character and became a friend of Hogan he coasted.

• Like 3

Dewey Foley has left WWE. He signed with WWE during 2015 and joined WWE creative in Jan 2016. He started as a writing assistant and then became a writer for the main brands. He was the lead writer of 205 in the final era and was writing for NXT LVL Up.

• Like 1

I have such a reverence for Wrestlemania III (primarily for being the perfect age for it - 9 years old - and being a Michigan kid) that it is easily my most watched and rewatched wrestling event of all time for me, and I have joked with multiple friends about how if I am in the hospital and they are going to pull the plug, throw Wrestlemania III on and let me die with that on in the background.

Just don't let me die during Billy Jack vs Hercules. I am pretty sure you go to hell if you die during that match.

P.S. Holy shit the earlier review of the Harley/JYD match is 100 percent spot-on. Its like Harley took every over-the-top bump he would normally take in a 30-minute NWA World Title match making the local hero a star and jammed them into the 5 minutes allotted because he knew that was the only way to salvage a match against 1987 JYD.

And on the topic of Duggan's post Mid-South selfishness, goddamn I want to know what Vince told him to go along with getting absolutely destroyed by Yokozuna the way he did. Vince probably promised Duggan a title program after Yoko got the belt knowing damn well that he had no intention of putting Hacksaw in that position. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

easily my most watched and rewatched wrestling event of all time for me

I hadn't seen Mania 3 in quite a while before I started watching it over the weekend, but I had seen it A LOT as a kid, so much so that I could remember specific bits of commentary.

• Like 1

I’ve only watched III all the way through once. I found a dvd of it at Walmart for five bucks maybe a decade ago (definitely pre-Network anyway), but it was strictly the hard cam footage. Very weird. 

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I remember his BATB 96 undercard match against DDP, who was just starting his big push. Duggan gave him nothing for 5 minutes until the Diamond Cutter finish and then promptly got back up and beat him up after the match.

On the other hand, he was really nice to me and every other fan I saw him interact with over a couple different meet and greets, so Hacksaw is a land of contrasts.

I guess in that way him and Hogan were cut from the same cloth, from all accounts Hogan was always great with fans not just at meet and greets but literally anywhere you caught him, but well... his selfishness and politicking are well documented.

• Like 1

“I was beaten in the Wednesday Night Wars by the guy who accidentally made wrestling fans think my wife fucked the Slim Jim guy, my father-in-law took time out of his paralegal to tell me I suck shit and demoted me, and thirty years on the gas finally exploded my heart. Now people keep asking me am I back? Yeah I’m thinking I’m back!”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

11 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Seemingly just went out of his way to make people look bad. Austin at Starrcade and Berlyn at Halloween Havoc 99 the biggest examples. There's a lumberjack match with Shawn on Raw in 93 where he just doesn't sell for him. I'm watching an early episode of Thunder where he barely sells for MENG of all people. Tongan Death Grip is treated as a death finisher at this time, and yet it barely keeps him down for a three count.

Can't think of a single match he had where he made anyone look good?

I recently watched SuperBrawl V. One of the undercard matches was Duggan vs. Bunkhouse Buck and I thought, "well, this could be a lot of fun". Actually Duggan just ate up poor Jimmy Golden for 10 minutes.

• Like 1

If Triple H is fully "back", he may be the lead booker of NXT again.

He got his other jobs and roles back. He was only removed of his live events roles and hiring and firing powers.

10 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I recently watched SuperBrawl V. One of the undercard matches was Duggan vs. Bunkhouse Buck and I thought, "well, this could be a lot of fun". Actually Duggan just ate up poor Jimmy Golden for 10 minutes.

How about that Starrcade match with Vader? I mean sure, he was making himself look pretty impressive at Vader's expense there, but it was a good, intense match and Vader did convincingly put him away for the US-title in the end.

Duggan in the gorilla suit was great in Mid-South, but I don't even love his Mid-South stuff. Most of it is fine at best. His best pre-WWF match by consensus is the Super-stip match in the cage against DiBiase, and I think it's decent enough at most, and I've seen (I think) most of the TV leading up to it on top of the match itself. 

He's almost always bad in WWF and is usually bad in WCW, though in 1996 he's still very occasionally good for a decent TV match. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Have you ever seen his shoots? Just a miserable, bitter, delusional asshole. Still thinks he was a bigger deal than Steve fucking Austin. He's your classic Rock 'n' Wrestling midcarder who thinks everyone who came after him needs to bow down.

Yeah he mentions it a LOT, and always in a super eye-rolly way that how dare the guy who ended up being the biggest star of the industry be upset to have put him over in 30 seconds on such a big show. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark said:

Answer would have been different when I was younger, but these days, the late 80's/early 90's is the only era I go back to.  Roster was loaded (Rude, Hennig, Hogan, Bulldog, Hart, etc.) and it was a fun period from start to finish.  I guess I'm not a ringwork guy.  i like my wrasslin' loud, silly, and over-the-top.

Nah man... that was an underrated era.  Loads of great tag matches and whatnot. 

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I guess in that way him and Hogan were cut from the same cloth, from all accounts Hogan was always great with fans not just at meet and greets but literally anywhere you caught him, but well... his selfishness and politicking are well documented.

Makes sense. A big part of being successful in politics is getting people to like you.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nah man... that was an underrated era.  Loads of great tag matches and whatnot. 

Oh yeah! Like '88-'89 Prime Time Wrestling had loads of stuff I had seen, but even more stuff that I missed back in the day, and it was awesome when I watched it a couple of years back.

• Like 1