DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

19 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

New wrestling crossword:

(You probably can beat their time. Reading all the clues out loud slows things down a lot)

17:51. Not bad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Is Lou Thesz the Abraham of professional wrestling?

I dunno, did Sam Muchnik ever tell him to sacrifice his son on an altar as a test of right to be NWA World Champion?

James

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What era of WWF/WWE do you prefer and why?  

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

1993-1997 as it was when I really got into wrestling. My Dad's parents, my Grandma and Grandad had Sky before us so it was great seeing them/WWF/their cats and dogs. 1997 is by far my favourite year in wrestling as well. During that timeframe Bret Hart had which to this day are the two best matches in WWE history, #2 vs. Owen Hart at WrestleMania X and vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 which is my pick for the best match in wrestling history. Both *****. Also in that time frame: Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind at in Your House X: Mind Games in 1996 and vs. The Undertaker at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

None of the above. I have never preferred the WWF/WWE. There’s always been at least one promotion I liked more.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

The periods you've chosen don't quite line up with my own so I'll just go with my own - 

91-95 was my childhood intro to wrestling. We didn't have cable so would watch at our friends when we could and rely on others (including my dad's co-worker) to record the PPVs (things meant a lot more back in the day when you had to work hard to access them instead of having everything at the click of a button. The thrill of the hunt is mostly gone from today's society) We collected the cards, magazines, plastered our walls with posters, had our wrestling figure feds, etc.

The other period I have fond memories of is 99-05. I had grown out of it in my teenage years and got back in in a huge way, watching with my brother and introducing my then-girlfriend. Loved discovering the behind the scenes aspect via the internet, reading the WON, tracking down old VHS tapes in second hand shops.

Nothing has ever come close to hitting those memories for me. I think subconsciously I've always been chasing those feelings but really I think I just watch wrestling (AEW these days, not WWE) out of habit now and unfortunately not getting a ton of enjoyment out of it (even when the wrestling is very good)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

I was a kid/teen watching wrestling from 1983/4 until 1989, and WWF was a big part of that although I did always prefer when I could catch Saturday night on the Superstation when I was visiting my grandparents, and then the territory shows on ESPN once we got cable. I also learned that the WWF MSG house shows which showed on the MSG channel were better than their regular programming. I saw Wrestlemania 3 on PPV with a bunch of guys from my club soccer team, that was my sophomore year of high school. I was only ever a casual watcher of WWF/E during any other time. I hated the Attitude era.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, The Natural said:

This came up on my Facebook memories today, thought you'd want to relive Jonathan Coachman's idiocy:

Jonathan Coachman sucks so bad on WWE commentary. He reached his lowest point (which is saying something) with this stupidity as Nia Jax had Ronda Rousey in a bear hug at WWE Money in the Bank 2018 last night: "This might be an advantage for Ronda Rousey. It's allowing Ronda Rousey to get a little bit of a rest." 

The bear hug takes your breath away, you f'n moron. Even Michael Cole and Corey Graves called Coach out on that. Bloody hell.

Coach was a sportscaster in my hometown before he started working for the WWE and when I started working at Hollywood Video I looked up his account and his rental history was wall-to-wall softcore.  This man never rented a movie that didn't have some soft-focus tiddies in it. 

No judgement, just thought it was funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Coach was a sportscaster in my hometown before he started working for the WWE and when I started working at Hollywood Video I looked up his account and his rental history was wall-to-wall softcore.  This man never rented a movie that didn't have some soft-focus tiddies in it. 

No judgement, just thought it was funny.

Always nice to come across a fellow Witchcraft aficionado 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I brought up the topic because I'm truly wondering if I prefer the Rock N' Wresting era of WWF to pretty much every other era because of pure nostalgia or are there other reasons at play. 

I've been binging Saturday Night's Main Event and I do think there's several factors at play here. 

-The crowds are insanely hot for all the babyfaces. I miss that about wrestling. Babyfaces used to kick ass. 

-The commentary is intelligent and nobody is trying to sell you shit. They are focusing on the strategy of the match in front of them. Ventura has always been my favorite and he stands out big time on the binge.

-Tag team wrestling is treated as a big deal. The matches are a lot better than you might remember. They aren't on JCP level but there's a lot of great teams having great matches. The Hart Foundation, The Brainbusters, Demolition, Rockers, British Bulldogs, Fabulous Rougeaus, etc.

-The mid card feuds are also a big deal. Fans are rabid for Tito getting his hands on Macho or even Ronnie Garvin as a referee snuffing Greg Valentine. 

From an in-ring standpoint there are other eras that I prefer 1997 as @The Naturalpointed out, Ruthless Aggression Era had lots of tremendous matches too and of course the era we are currently in but from an overall product and presentation standpoint I think 1985-1992 is fantastic despite Hogan having a stranglehold on the WWF Championship.

• Like 6

Just watched Misawa vs Kawada (June 3rd) with my 6 month old. Onto El Dandy vs Satanico now. This Father’s Day we’re gonna touch on classics from all over, between naps.

—-

When I’m done derpin I’ll ramble on the Ruthless Aggression Era, @Niners Fan in CT

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

Fun question. Personally, I prefer the Attitude Era for the car crash style of matches that I remember as a child. 7/8 year old me was fascinated by Stephanie being abducted by the Undertaker and Dude Love doing that goofy dance with his legs. Shit, I can even remember a time when they would advertise WWF PPV's on the radio.

But the 2002-2007 era was where I feel I actually learned what wrestling was (backstage politics, appreciating the in-ring product more) and got to enjoy it with my friends who were a little bit older as well. I guess you could say my fandom is split into pre-smark and post-smark.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I mean, 1992 is pretty much my favorite year of American wrestling. The first half of 1992, when WCW was a battle of top level babyfaces vs the Dangerous Alliance and there were solid heels underneath that were always presented as a threat to the up-and-coming babyfaces (like the Greg Valentine/Terry Taylor team, which mutated into the Greg Valentine/Dick Slater team after Taylor left).

Then on the WWF side, they were rebuilding after Hogan left, so it was a nice mix of the late-1980s talent being cycled out combined with this strange assortment of talent being given shots, as well as repackagings galore (like Smash -> Repo Man). It was this weirdly fascinating time.

And, of course... Max Moon. 

It's the year I revisit the most, if I go back and rewatch anything.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Pre-1984

1985-1992

1993-1997

1997-2002 

2002-2007

85-92, easily. it was when i discovered wrestling (to me, at that time, WWF = wrestling. i didn't know that other promotions even existed!). Everything was new to me. the characters, the sheer size of these men, the drama, the costumes, the athleticism, all of it was so exciting.

then i kind of fell out of it for a few years until the nWo brought me back in. 1996-1997 is my favorite time ever in wrestling, but that's mainly due to WCW instead of the Fed.

• Like 1