DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Wrestling sucks, it's all about Medieval Armor Fights now

When M-1 first started knight fights, I spent roughly an 1 hour plus going down that rabbit hole.

Also, I'm pretty sure I posted this exact GIF about 7 years.

SlimyNiftyBobwhite-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I don't think anyone loves it with such a child-like purity and reckless abandon as Dean Rasmussen does. It's why I've had a deep fondness for the man these past 23 years...

I love Anthony Bowens yelling “scissor me, Daddy Ass!!!!!” That way…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, J.H. said:

As an ex SCA guy, after awhile the spectacle of the armored combat gets... tedious

James

I agree. The ones that I saw were just a break in the show like "midgets" or "girls" on the poster used to be. A whole show of that wouldn't be so good.

I'm excited for the end of the month as I have tickets to 3 shows in 1 week. Until year, I suppose somewhat ironic with covid stuff affecting crowds, I had only gone to a smattering of shows over the first 18 years of my life as a wrestling fan.

The first GCW show I went to, their Detroit debut, really kickstarted a love of live shows. I rewatched the replay the next day (my wife: are you really watching the show you were just at?) and have been to at least a show a month since then. I am a big fan of deathmatches and it was awesome meeting Joel Bateman, Big F'N Joe, Rina Yamashita and Masashi Takeda in the past 8 months. I saw a crazy deathmatch Royal Rumble in May!

I'm not one for big crowds so I'm not going to AEW's Detroit debut but a lot of indies are running in Michigan that week. So I will see Horror Slam, RPW and ICW No Holds Barred.  Very cool for me. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I love Anthony Bowens yelling “scissor me, Daddy Ass!!!!!” That way…

My five-year-old son also loves yelling that. Not looking forward to explaining that to my wife. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

When my daughter first saw The Little Mermaid, she latched onto Ariel saying “My father is going to kill me.” She’d just walk around saying it to people. With me standing right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

On 6/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, The Natural said:

I'm a big Sasha Banks fans ever since 2015 with the Four Horsewomen Four Way at NXT TakeOver: Rival, with Becky Lynch at NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable and two ***** vs. Bayley at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn and NXT TakeOver: Rival. I'm in that camp preferring the Iron Woman match.

For that reason, I was gutted she wasn't on the house shows I attended in November 2015 and April 2016. I finally got to see her in November 2016, then November 2019 even though it was a RAW house show as she was a Smackdown Live talent and November 2021.

Sasha Banks biggest strength is match quality. I think she definitely has Bayley, Becky Lynch's, Charlotte Flair, Bianca Belair, Ronda Rousey, Nia Jax and Asuka's best matches.

Criminal Banks only had one long reign as a WWE Women's World Champion on the main roster when she held the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship. Too much hot potato between Banks/Charlotte in 2016. Banks should have been the first WWE Women's World Champion vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch at WrestleMania XXXII but it stupidly went to Flair.

My top ten Sasha Banks matches:

10. Sasha Banks vs. Ronda Rousey. WWE Royal Rumble 2019.

9. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. WWE Hell in a Cell 2019.

8. Sasha Banks vs. Asuka. WWE Post Royal Rumble 2018 RAW.

7. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. WWE Hell in a Cell 2020.

6. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. NXT TakeOver: Rival.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch. NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable.

4. Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII, Night 1.

3. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE RAW, 28th November 2016.

2. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. *****.

1. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Respect. *****.

FVfqn4gVEAA6tak?format=jpg&name=large

Cool collage made up of Sasha Banks' match graphics!

• Like 3

This came up on my Facebook memories today, thought you'd want to relive Jonathan Coachman's idiocy:

Jonathan Coachman sucks so bad on WWE commentary. He reached his lowest point (which is saying something) with this stupidity as Nia Jax had Ronda Rousey in a bear hug at WWE Money in the Bank 2018 last night: "This might be an advantage for Ronda Rousey. It's allowing Ronda Rousey to get a little bit of a rest." 

The bear hug takes your breath away, you f'n moron. Even Michael Cole and Corey Graves called Coach out on that. Bloody hell.

• Haha 5

Went to my first local show in like 5 years last night. Double ring, cage, War Games seemed enough for me to do the 2hr round trip.

They did an angle where the 2nd entrant for the babyface team no showed, which logically made no sense, rather than just the other 3 people on his team going in ahead of him, so rather than the logical 3 on 1 and 4 on 2 beat downs that happen. The main babyface just no sells everything and keeps running through spots.

Then the guy who originally didn't come out at #2, turns up for the other team, leading to the face team having a surprise 5th guy to replace the heel turn, some guy who came into the ring with 4 ring crew guys entering the cage to hold the extension cable for the weed whacker he ended up using on his own guy.

Then the main babyface injured the female entrant on the heel team by putting her through 2 tables, and even though she'd clearly busted her shoulder, they were telling her to get up and do her top of cage dive on to everyone, and hurt herself more, so while they're putting a neck brace on her in the ring, they're still doing dangerous death match spots around her, rather than selling the exhaustion of the match, or boot choking in the corner.

Then half the locker room randomly emptied into one spot outside the cage to catch a guy who fell off, like 3 mins before the spot happens.

It's that big a cluster fuck that the 5'6 owner of the promotion coming in second last for the face team and cleaning house against the entire heel side all with weapons doesn't even register.

And of course the cage fell apart. 

That was enough for me, I headed for the carpark before the finish.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

This came up on my Facebook memories today, thought you'd want to relive Jonathan Coachman's idiocy:

Jonathan Coachman sucks so bad on WWE commentary. He reached his lowest point (which is saying something) with this stupidity as Nia Jax had Ronda Rousey in a bear hug at WWE Money in the Bank 2018 last night: "This might be an advantage for Ronda Rousey. It's allowing Ronda Rousey to get a little bit of a rest." 

The bear hug takes your breath away, you f'n moron. Even Michael Cole and Corey Graves called Coach out on that. Bloody hell.

I remember some years back a friend of mine asked who'd be the most difficult person for the WWE roster to speak kindly of if they happened to tragically die while working in the company. I went with Coachman not because he was the worst human being I could come up with (as far as I know he isn't) but just because I think even trained workers would struggle with talking up his commentary or coming up with anything memorably good he did. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

And of course the cage fell apart. 

Jesus Christ I was at the same show and must of had a few too many as I don't remember half of that! Only thing I can add is the 5th babyface had a random unexplained gimmick change to just top it all off.

Sounds like I was lucky in forgetting because wow what a mess.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Horangi said:

Jesus Christ I was at the same show and must of had a few too many as I don't remember half of that! Only thing I can add is the 5th babyface had a random unexplained gimmick change to just top it all off.

Sounds like I was lucky in forgetting because wow what a mess.

The second intermission was added because the cage still wasn't ready. 

When Lachy did his dive out of the cage, everyone stuck around practically holding the thing together just to the left of gorilla/announcers.

Spoke to a friend who said the injury/stretcher angle though was a work though, so I was definitely wrong on that one.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 1

Since we're trying to get things back to an "I like wrestling" direction, I have a story from today that I thought I'd share in the only place I know of where people would appreciate it.

So last year I bought a house, and have since been taking occasional trips to local antique stores to look for furnishings and decorations. Now...go to an antique mall in the upper Midwest (...assuming you live in the U.S.) and you are bound to find a decent amount of WWF/WWE and WCW stuff. However, today I stumbled upon a Blu Ray of Kawada/Kobashi singles matches from IVP Videos at a random antique store booth. Twelve matches, three bucks! Felt like I struck gold. I can only hope there actually are wrestling matches on the DVD and I didn't accidentally buy something horrifying (it still is the 2020s, after all).

I also found what appeared to be a Brutus the Barber Beefcake jigsaw puzzle. I did not buy it, but stood there laughing at the existence of such a thing for a good minute or so.

I like pro wrestling.

• Like 13