DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Said it before, I'll say it again - If Sasha is coming to AEW then she should be the ACE of their Women's tag division. Not fussed about who her partner is (Ford, Athena, Statlander?) but she should be half of the inaugural champs and also have the longest/most reigns.

I'm a big fan of Sasha, I definitely hope she continues to work atleast semi regularly for a national wrestling promotion. AEWs women's division I feel is not at the level it could be. I've yet to feel like I would enjoy any of the 4 horsewomen in AEW. Impact is way less profile company but they book their women's division much better. AEW has a great talent pool now but they haven't yet gotten a good foot on booking the women. Although I'm not confident in AEW booking their women's division properly, any of the 4 horsewomen would be the equivalent of Bryan or Punk coming in for that division where having Sasha would be enough to get people excited about it beyond just a great match and giving it real star power. As much of a "Diva" and "Superstar" she is in her own mind, she definitely is compared to 97% of AEWs roster, she still prides herself in being the best in the world. It would be interesting just from an inring perspective how she does without the handcuffs of WWE. She'd really be trying to kill herself with out the micromanagement of Titan

Edited by Ziggy

13 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I expected it, but it's still disheartening to see how this has becoming the Sasha Banks story, forgetting and ignoring Naomi per usual.

I've said at the beginning of the walkout that I'd love to see Naomi wrestle outside of WWE. I don't know it she'd want to wrestle outside of WWE but she's married into a prominent wrestling family and even outside of that she seems to enjoy wrestling and seemed to seemed to a level of pride in wanting to have actual great matches. I've also said before that I think as athletically gifted as she is WWE hindered her growth as an inring performer by having her do so many dance routine spots in her matches. Some of these spots are over but I think subconsciously fans can't take her as seriously as the other 4 horsewomen in comparison because of those spots alot like Emma. I could Naomi becoming like Tay Conti as far as surprising people with how good she could be outside of that system. But I also she Naomi feeling like she might be a big enough star to get TV roles and stuff outside of wrestling but I guess we'll see 

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I expected it, but it's still disheartening to see how this has become the Sasha Banks story, forgetting and ignoring Naomi per usual.

Dunno about all that I mean the last 24 hours on Twitter has fans celebrating both and saying how they bothbeen vindicated. 

Now if you're not going on Twitter for fans feedback i mean I'm not going to blame you for not going near that cesspool, but other places besides this board are hailing the two of them as heroes 

Edited by Hayabusa

I like Sasha in early NXT, and I agree that she plays her character better than anyone currently in AEW besides maybe Britt (because of course she does, she's been in WWE for years, where character is as important as in-ring skill - if not more).

But I definitely draw the line at "Sasha would be AEW's best female in-ring worker". 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It's almost as if my experience is my own and independent of what anyone else has seen or heard. I wish it would be respected as such.

Not what you wrote though, I mean you said Naomi was getting ignored, per usual. If you limit your experience to this board and this board alone for fans feedback, naturally that is your choice. Per your words, if anyone else saw or heard differently, they're welcome to their experience as you're welcome to yours. That whole per usual though, that's painting with a broad brush. 

You expect to have your experience respected without being willing or open to hear someone else's experience, especially when it's not as disheartening as it's being made out to be. But what do I know, my experience on the board is everyone doesn't always see from the same perspective, and there is no DVDVR hivemind

• Like 1

I barely come to this board anymore. My wrestling dialogue from lots of other places well beyond DVDVR.

In my experience from several areas, Naomi gets ignored. If you've seen differently, good. But I haven't. And yes, from my perspective, it is per usual. My comment comes from what I regularly see. I don't have to make up anything.

What I would hope for is no one making assumptions about what I've heard or where I got it from. I don't need the questioning about my wrestling fandom, of all things.

What I'm not open to is the often-constant questioning around here when trying to share my fandom, just because it doesn't correlate to the majority. Discussions are good and welcome. But I've been around the bend enough and have good reason to be jaded.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue

Naomi is one of my favorites. She’s been keeping quiet (maybe planning the next move or focusing on what she wants to) and I’m respecting her privacy. If she comes out and says she wants out of her contract I’d support her and wish her happiness and success. If she stays, I again wish she is happy. Naomi is very likable and interestingly enough a big part of me re-discovering my love of wrestling a few years ago. (I’ve rambled on my Total Divas story a few times).

Sasha actually went to Minneapolis for a bit and a few people I know got pictures with her, which is cool.

• Like 3

I actually am curious about what Naomi's end goal is. With Sasha you have to figure unless there are big changes offered for the division itself she wants out like FTR did. With Naomi I suspect she mostly walked to stand in solidarity with Sasha. I'm curious if Naomi leaves as well or renegotiates to stick around with her husband and extended family.

Naomi tweeted this. I would imagine most of the coverage is on Sasha as she's one of the few semi-main stream stars they have.

When Bianca Belair started getting her big push I wondered if it could lead Sasha being viewed as less important by Vince as he feels as he has a Black femal star he only needs one. "You need a Puerto Rican and an Italian to run the Garden"

9 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I expected it, but it's still disheartening to see how this has become the Sasha Banks story, forgetting and ignoring Naomi per usual.

Sasha was released...so we're talking about that. I don't think anyone is purposefully ignoring Naomi. When there is new information regarding her contract situation, I'm sure there will be attention given and discussions had regarding that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

In my experience from several areas, Naomi gets ignored. If you've seen differently, good. But I haven't. And yes, from my perspective, it is per usual. My comment comes from what I regularly see. I don't have to make up anything.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't even know what you're saying with "per usual."  You said something like "Naomi isn't even getting talked about, per usual."  Per usual because Banks is possibly a better wrestler or bigger star?  Per usual because of something else?  Seriously, what point are you trying to make here?  You can't just kind of throw out this weird, somewhat passive aggressive comment and then get grumpy when you're confronted or not validated.   If you're going to bring up a point of contention, it's on you to explain it instead of falling back on "I rarely post here because all you people here are mean and you just proved that again" as soon as someone comes remotely close to disagreeing with you.

We just derailed two topics with friendly discussions of cheesesteaks and Shabba Ranks.  This isn't the mean-spirited, contentious shithole you make it out to be. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Can conversation around here get heated?
Sure, not everyone has the same opinion and we all have our egos  to a degree but in the 20+ years I've been coming and posting here we tend to get along and if a few people have issues with one another there is an "Ignore" feature.

Hell I'm sure there are people around here who think I'm an idiot but I don't let it bother me. For the most part? I think almost everyone who posts here has made me laugh at some point and that is why I keep coming back.

Now let's get back to talking about who has nice punches and what is going to happen to Naomi

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I believe Sasha and Naomi walked for similar reasons. 

Reports were Naomi was in contract negotiations, she's been unhappy with her spot in the company for a while. 

Naomi had some nice WrestleMania moments but they were closer to Ryder's moment when he won the ladder match than some actual sustained push to the top of the division. 

Naomi watched as WWE tried to make various other (mostly white) women the face of SD! and she was often forgotten about. She's in her 30s now and she's unhappy with her role. 

She put a lot of effort into her presentation over the years and she's been waiting for an opportunity. She tried to make the best of her and Sasha's team and you could tell they were loving teaming together, they said ok let's make this division something, let's make this our thing. 

That was their vision but not WWE because WWE is creatively bankrupt. Instead of pushing multiple women they can only push 1 or 2 to the detriment of everyone else. So you can see why Sasha and Naomi weren't feeling the idea of making others look good again, they've been doing that for most of their careers. It's old. 

The part that people forget is reportedly a producer yelled in their faces. So think of how you would react when you try to come up with some ideas at work to better yourself and your colleagues and all you get is yelled at and told to fix your attitude, especially when you're a black woman and it's coming from likely an old ass racist piece of shit. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't even know what you're saying with "per usual."  You said something like "Naomi isn't even getting talked about, per usual."  Per usual because Banks is possibly a better wrestler or bigger star?  Per usual because of something else?  Seriously, what point are you trying to make here?  You can't just kind of throw out this weird, somewhat passive aggressive comment and then get grumpy when you're confronted or not validated.   If you're going to bring up a point of contention, it's on you to explain it instead of falling back on "I rarely post here because all you people here are mean and you just proved that again" as soon as someone comes remotely close to disagreeing with you.

We just derailed two topics with friendly discussions of cheesesteaks and Shabba Ranks.  This isn't the mean-spirited, contentious shithole you make it out to be. 

I indicated in my second post that I talk wrestling across several forms and that my take on Naomi's situation wasn't based on what happens here. Because I don't come here often anymore for that to be a thing.

What I have seen--and I don't know why that's so hard for some of you to believe--is that Sasha is constantly talked about while Naomi is barely mentioned. That's been the case since the beginning of their walkout. It's not a new occurrence based on Sasha possibly getting her release.

In what I've seen, it's become how Sasha was incredible to stand up for herself and she doesn't need WWE. But Naomi continually gets pushed aside, even though they both walked out at the same time and seemingly for similar reasons. I get that Sasha is more popular and expected to become the bigger mainstream star. Not the issue I have with it, but rather that few seem to even remember Naomi's basic existence, outside of diehard fans who get told she ultimately doesn't matter. Again, that's based on what I've seen in several mediums.

I believe there's racism and specifically colorism involved with that, but that's another topic.

I've been called a stupid sheep bitch who wants to fuck and suck off WWE by some on this board. Had my opinions completely disregarded and my basic intelligence questioned. Been asked ignorant questions based on the perceptions of my fandom instead of treated normally. Trust me, my feelings aren't based on mild disagreements. And yeah, I already have those folks on block so I don't see what they're saying when I come around. 

I keep coming around here once in a while, mostly out of habit, but because I remember having some good conversations. But I also remember the direct insults by some. So yeah, it can be contentious and mean-spirited for some of us, going beyond differences of opinion.

• Like 1

Whatever those forums are you are going to Burgundy, you do see, don't you, how posting here that Naomi is getting ignored, per usual, comes across as stand-offish. And I honestly don't know and don't care which forums you're on, but just having a look at Twitter and Instagram and Reddit has got TONS of appreciation for both women from the day they walked, and in the 2 days since it broke that Vince did the payoffs there's been practically nothing but overwhelming support for both women with fans of all ages/backgrounds coming out to stand up for both Naomi and Sasha and that's where I get lost with the strawman talking point about Naomi is getting ignored and its disheartening. How is that the talking point when social media in the last 48 hours is the exact opposite? What's the agenda here?

Technico has an interesting point in that you tend to pull this repeatedly where everyone is just going about whatever the discussion of the day is and then you jump in taking a defensive stance that we're all a bunch of jerks or dicks for whatever strawman talking point you've chosen to focus on in that moment and then you play the victim card that anyone would have the gall to disagree with your contentious broad-sweeping statements.

Remember when Charlotte and Becky had that tug of war for the belts and there were backstage reports about Charlotte being unprofessional. Here comes Burgundy to label everyone misogynists who only pick on girls for standing up for themselves and we never do this for the boys. Like all those years of Hogan/Flair/HBK/Dusty/HHH politicking to keep the title or protect their pocket were just overlooked by the board and the hivemind gathered to worship at the altar of these heroes. That was a weak straw man then and this hollow straw man about Naomi not getting any love is just as weak.

And let's be honest, it could be any one poster of any background coming onto the board making broad general statements painting everyone as dicks and jerks, and that poster would absolutely get shit on by others because when it becomes a habit of attacking everyone for being jerks and getting ultra defensive with anyone disagreeing, well there's that whole saying that goes "if you meet an asshole in the morning, and if you meet assholes all day....." Any one poster pulling the same shit should expect to get shit on especially like Technico points out, there was the whole discussion on Shabba* and on food and then BOOM we're all assholes for not talking up Naomi too.

I'll tldr it: If you don't think Naomi isn't getting any love, just seek out the #IstandwithNaomiandSasha tag on your chosen social media platform. It's not disheartening when there's so much love being poured out for both women. And I expect if you continue taking combative approach to painting everyone as jerks you can count on some people disagreeing and supplying evidence to the contrary.

It's one thing to try and engage in an actual discussion, it's another to just run in and call everyone dicks then get defensive when someone disagrees

***Bombastic is the only track that comes to mind, but that's such a beat to loop over and over so I'm sorry if I've missed out on other classics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3