DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Paige is done with WWE after July 7th.

Glad I got to see Paige live twice. I like Paige: her look, the Rampaige, her entrance theme and she was a great General Manager. Best wishes.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

There haven't been many cases where a regular tag team's sons have then formed a regular tag team, have there? Like Gory Guerrero & El Santo as the Atomic Pair led to Eddie Guerrero and El Hijo Del Santo as the New Atomic Pair, but that was a short term thing to build to Eddie's heel turn.

If you expand it to kayfabe families, maybe. But there's no storyline Anderson family tree, is there? They're all just Andersons, and Flair is a cousin.

Are Hook and Colby Corino the only good ECW kids? Because D-Von's twins seem to have not taken off at all, and Twisted Sand Tyler Fullington has made even less of an impact on the business.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was looking for a bag of shirts in the garage today and found a copy of Wrestling Gold on DVD, signed by Jim Cornette. Weird.

That’s a great DVD set! Take a drink every time Meltzer intros a match with “One of the…”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Didn’t know Lanza ever had a kid in the business. 

You know what he doesn't. I had thought Bradshaw was his son, then when I looked it up, he was simply a kayfabed uncle so that's on me.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion time, Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega at NJPW Dominion 2017 is the worst Okada/Omega match. My ranking of the four:

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. NJPW Dominion 2017.

3. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW G1 Climax 27. *****.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. My 2017 MOTY. *****.

1. Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Dominion 2018. My 2018 MOTY. *****.

I'm a little surprised that we never got Disco Inferno in WWE either during the invasion or a bit later like a lot of WCW guys. Seems like the kinda of stupid shit Vince loves in an undercard act, and Glen Gillberty always had enough size and physique that I could see vince being sold on him

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I'm a little surprised that we never got Disco Inferno in WWE either during the invasion or a bit later like a lot of WCW guys. Seems like the kinda of stupid shit Vince loves in an undercard act, and Glen Gillberty always had enough size and physique that I could see vince being sold on him

Having listened to him on Konnans podcast every week Disco strikes me as a “work smarter not harder” type of guy.  I’m sure he said there had been tentative talks but he wasn’t interested (possible BS), as he preferred to work a lighter schedule for decent money.

Disco was always fun in WCW, his feud / team with Alex Wright was great undercard stuff.  His last Impact run was also a real highlight.  I try to not let his Twitter trolling cloud my judgement, but it’s exceptionally difficult. He can be insufferable.

• Like 3

He's claimed that he was gonna get the Rockabilly gimmick that went to Billy Gunn, JR has said he doesn't remember if that was true.

He was on Jericho's podcast a while back he talked about the need for getting for a gimmick which I think is something lost on many of the super worker types in the indies over the last several years

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

not to be too negative towards anybody else, but John Cena has to be the best ambassador ever for wrestling, right? for combining his willingness to be such a good guy to fans with not really having any obvious character flaws

The Rock would also be reasonably far up the list too

But if you're looking for someone to day "this is a wrestler", Cena has to be pretty far up the list because he's sort of a real life comic book character without the sort of flaws that a Flair or Hogan has

• Like 13

WWE released Cole Karter/Troy "Two Dimes" Donovan three months after signing him. According to Meltz, it's a "policy issue" and they may bring him back in a year. Feel free to recklessly speculate.

I thought the supposed policy was six months? He is also in the middle of story. His partner also seem to be any better in the ring or as a character so it would be weird to only release one.

Not sure about this one but it seems weird. I really liked the six-man tag from In Your House last weekend and Tony D’s group seemed to be figured in with the whole Legado del Fantasma storyline. It’ll be interesting to see how they explain this away on TV this week.

I agree with @nofuturethough, I interpret this as some sort of rule being broken. Then again, it is WWE we’re talking about so they kind of make up the rules as they go along.

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

not to be too negative towards anybody else, but John Cena has to be the best ambassador ever for wrestling, right? for combining his willingness to be such a good guy to fans with not really having any obvious character flaws

Just never, ever put your clothes in the wrong bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1