DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Just now, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

So is Stephanie more like Kendall or Shiv here? I feel like she's Shiv not because they're both women, but because she also has a doofus scheming husband, and that parallel is too much to ignore.

Shane has Kendall's goofy nature, but he was never really in line to take over. He's like Connor, really. Never had a chance to run shit. 

Shiv, for sure. I think we figured out who was who awhile ago. The only one we couldn't figure out was Roman and the closest we came to for that was, I think, Kevin Dunn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Vince and co are moving WWE away from the other McMahon family members influences. Vince already believes in that if someone is not doing good enough, they will be replaced or removed.

From Wrestling Inc:

“I’ve probably expected more from my family members than of other employees,” Vince told McAfee. “You have to do the right thing for the business. If this person isn’t working out, they shouldn’t be part of the company.”

The fact that Vince is doing this when the company is most profitable is both sad and hilarious.

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

In the end, Vince's all encompassing desire to be accepted in the larger business world and to be regarded as "legitimate" (instead of a carny rasslin promoter) won out over everything. 

citizenkane07.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's crazy!  Wikipedia says the Steele feud started on the January SNME before Mania 2.  So, on and off, the "program" lasted 16 months. 

It's wild, in my lifetime, seeing WWF/WWE go from having programs go on forever as long as they could do house show business, to needing a constant feed of angles to sell an increasing number of PPVs, to finally not really needing to do much at all because that TV money has already been made.  I mean congrats to them for turning their product from something that was hand to mouth into a business that makes money whether they are selling something compelling or not, but man it is crazy to have seen it evolve.

The whole "PPV as an advertisement for house shows" to me is most apparent in the finish to The Big Event where Hogan shoves Orndorff into the ref for the DQ. Now today you might do that to get from RAW to Premium Live Event or to stretch out a feud. But back then yhea that was because the house show business was king

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The article itself is locked behind a paywall, but here's an interesting reddit thread about Stephanie's position:

Interesting and probably accurate response on the thread

It's like Nick Khan took over Walmart and found out they were still operating like a local mom and pop store.

So much of their corporate structure for so long was family, friends of friends, people Vince owed favors to, etc. Seeing someone finally take the ax to the whole thing is weird.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, zendragon said:

The whole "PPV as an advertisement for house shows" to me is most apparent in the finish to The Big Event where Hogan shoves Orndorff into the ref for the DQ. Now today you might do that to get from RAW to Premium Live Event or to stretch out a feud. But back then yhea that was because the house show business was king

And Big Event wasn't even a PPV!  I guess they figured because it was going to be a big video tape release, it would sell house shows the same way.

• Like 1

Vince McMahon shakes up exec leadership at WWE

Stephanie-McMahon-GETTY.ashx?mw=408
Stephanie McMahon had recently said she was taking a leave of absence to focus on her familyGETTY IMAGES

WWE Chief Brand Officer STEPHANIE MCMAHON recently said she was taking a leave of absence to focus on her family, and now she is “being replaced in her corporate role as part of a shakeup” executed by her father and WWE CEO VINCE MCMAHON, according to Claire Atkinson of BUSINESS INSIDER. WWE is “currently interviewing candidates” to fill Stephanie McMahon's role and “grow the company's brand and sponsorship deals.” McMahon's purview also has included “marketing, brand business, and creative services along with community and entertainment relations.” WWE raked in close to $20M in "advertising-related revenue the first three months of the year. But while ad sales are "executed by programming partners" including USA Network, Peacock, Fox and A&E, WWE has a goal of generating $100M "annually via brand partnerships, with an eye on the success” of UFC. A company insider of Stephanie McMahon’s said, "We weren't seeing that growth. When someone is moved out of a company, it's usually the result of something not working. We took stronger control of that a few months ago." Meanwhile, WWE Head of Global Sales & Partnerships CLAUDINE LILIEN “confirmed she is leaving the company," while former Manchester United CMO CATHERINE NEWMAN “will join WWE this month as head of marketing." WWE also has “hired a slew of top executives” since Jan. '20 (BUSINESS INSIDER, 6/3). McMahon in May said she looked forward to returning to WWE after her leave (SBJ).

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Local area GAEA superfan Dean Rasmussen loves interfactional squabbles SHOCK!!!

/me cries at her KAORU poster

Has there been any bigger "we definitely lost the plot" instance in pro wrestling than WCW needing to desperately ban together to stop the terrible, organization invading menace called the NWO in the summer of 1996 to who and who isn't a part of NWO B&W and NWO Wolfpack in the spring/summer of 1998? Moreover, the avenging hero/protagonist who spent 14 months hiding in the shadows, refusing to speak, and rappelling from basketball arena ceilings like a goth Ethan Hunt is NOW a proud member of one of these factions. No, he didn't turn heel. He is still a babyface and these are his best buddies now to fight the other entity. What?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Punk is my all-time favourite, so if I leave him out I guess it'd be the following. I'm limiting myself to men for now.

-Orange Cassidy. He has a great combination of gimmick and in-ring performance, and I think his absence due to injury has been sorely felt without us realizing it.

-Eddie Kingston. He may be doing the greatest character work of his generation - nobody else encapsulates the "Yourself but turned up to 11" dictum as well.

-Daniel Bryan. He is great at everything.

And a wildcard fourth pick that will get me roundly laughed at:

-Shawn Spears. I don't know why. I just love his whole deal in AEW.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Has there been any bigger "we definitely lost the plot" instance in pro wrestling than WCW needing to desperately ban together to stop the terrible, organization invading menace called the NWO in the summer of 1996 to who and who isn't a part of NWO B&W and NWO Wolfpack in the spring/summer of 1998? Moreover, the avenging hero/protagonist who spent 14 months hiding in the shadows, refusing to speak, and rappelling from basketball arena ceilings like a goth Ethan Hunt is NOW a proud member of one of these factions. No, he didn't turn heel. He is still a babyface and these are his best buddies now to fight the other entity. What?

If only they had booked KAORU more.

(Booking KAORU more is my solution to all mid- to late-1990s wrestling woes.)

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As 6-8 year old Octopus would say, WCW is lame.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Imagine being able to go back to 2002 telling everyone how the HHH/Stephanie future pans out.

Is this also the timeline the New Breed are from, where Dusty is President?

• Haha 2

A bit late with my 4 current wrestlers which represent what I enjoy at the moment, found it so hard to cut down to 4 as I have 6-8 (and I only really watch NJPW, AJPW, GLEAT and some local Australian stuff), but here goes..

El Desperado: Surprised he didn't make the list of guys having an amazing 2022, always tells a great story and can feel his passion in the ring. Might have my favourite moveset in wrestling currently and I'm a sucker for an awesome masked wrestler. 

Hiromu Takahashi: Possibly the most charismatic wrestler in the world, he has the ability to just draw me into his matches through his fire and character. I think its his insanity and randomness that I enjoy the most with him. 

Shingo Takagi: When I think of who in the companies I watch looks like the ideal wrestler, to me it is Shingo. He looks like a badass and backs it up with some incredible hard hitting matches. I do agree that sometimes things can feel too choreographed but that is a very minor criticism. 

Matt Hayter: Robbie Eagles really isn't my Australian representative on my list! Matt Hayter is a wrestler out of RCW in Adelaide that does wrestle in Melbourne a lot, so this is really based on live experiences so I don't really know how he translates on camera. He's an absolute blast as a cocky, arrogant shit-heel. Decent in the ring but his character heel stuff is off the charts (at least live). 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Vince and co are moving WWE away from the other McMahon family members influences. Vince already believes in that if someone is not doing good enough, they will be replaced or removed.

From Wrestling Inc:

“I’ve probably expected more from my family members than of other employees,” Vince told McAfee. “You have to do the right thing for the business. If this person isn’t working out, they shouldn’t be part of the company.”

What a shit way to treat family.

3 hours ago, nate said:

Can someone post that gif of Triple H from that game, where he's doing the Too Cool dance?  I love that and just want to see it.

9OMutYCr7vnPPPFM=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, kafkonia said:

-Shawn Spears. I don't know why. I just love his whole deal in AEW.

He personally wouldn't go on any of my "Top of" lists, but I will agree with you that his whole deal in AEW is pretty great.  He has a niche and he's awesome at it.  Plus he throws a mean Death Valley Driver.