DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Originally posted this a few minutes ago in the May thread like a real dumdum. 

Thoughts on some shit I watched recently, take it or leave it! 

I'm powering my way through The Wrestling Classic and it is a mother fucking SLOG, only made bearable by how short the matches are.  I watched some of it last night and here we go.

I mentioned the weirdness of the ring in another post, but WTF is up with these refs?  We get Dave Hebner every few matches, and then in other bouts we get these weirdos wearing non WWF ref gear -- primary color blue slacks and a white shirt with what I've been able to ascertain is the shape of Illinois on the front.  Are these guys assigned by the athletic commission?  They're pretty shitty and one looks like Bob Dole.  Not prime Bob Dole...Dob Dole NOW.  The best is when one of them I guess forgets to come to the ring and JYD has to count his own pin.  Gorilla covers it by saying we have a judge at ringside who okayed it.  LOL

Macho Man beats Steamboat with the same finish he'd use against Tito to win the IC belt not long after.

Watching this whole show and seeing Macho wrestle 4 times, the "put the camera man on the apron so he can shoot down Liz's dress" technique is really really obvious.

Orndorff (a face this week) and Tito have a great face vs face match.  Fun psychology built around Ventura's assertion that one of them will surely lose his cool eventually.  And they do!  It ends up with both dudes brawling to a DCO and then kinda nonchalantly separating unassisted and staring at each other like "ah shit, we lost.  welp."

Piper and Hogan fight to a shitty DQ.  Hey, remember that spot where a guy goes to hit another guy with a chair, but the chair hits the ropes and it comes back to hit him?  AND how that spot always looks like shit?  Well Orndorff chases Orton off with a chair and ends up doing that spot accidentally AS A SHOOT and that chair got him pretty good upside the head.  I rewound it 10 times.

Adrian Adonis was ahead of his time, using a DDT-ish thing to counter a vertical suplex AND hitting a Sharpshooter (called a "grapevine" by Monsoon).

I remember watching the living shit out of this VHS tape as a kid and thinking it was good.  Looking back, I didn't know shit, hadn't seen any Crockett yet, and was probably just happy seeing matches that weren't jobber squashes.  Oooof this is a rough show.  But hey, Savage vs Dynamite is next! 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They probably figured there was nothing on that card that would prevent them from drawing. I mean Israel Adesanya is a pretty decent draw, but the fight itself is not that big. The card itself is pretty damn good, but Miesha Tate is the 2nd biggest name on the card (no worse than 3 if you count Max Holloway). That said, why the fuck are you running Allegiant Stadium for a non major event? UFC or no UFC, that's pretty damn ambitious. Summerslam, I can see. MITB? No.

The thing is that they booked MITB's location and date way before they knew the UFC card (I think it was announced last October), and in fact when they booked it they should have thought UFC would be stacked since usually their 'first weekend of July' show is. Maybe they thought that everyone would be in town for UFC and would just stay an extra day for MITB, which turned out to be failed logic.

I think they just got excited due to being able to have fans back and thought everyone would be dying to see wrestling in person, plus it being a holiday. But I agree it was a bad idea, which apparently they now agree with too.

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't realize WWE booked the SAME DAY as UFC, yea that was really stupid, I thought it was a Sat/Sun combo.

• Like 1

Something I forgot to mention in the Wrestling Classic post...

Does anyone use the term "scientific wrestling" anymore?  Gorilla used it to describe what we'd be seeing out of Orndroff vs Tito because both were faces and, ostensibly, would wrestle a good clean match and not engage in any fisticuffs or rulebreaking. 

It was also used in the 80s to describe any wrestler who knew more than one suplex and possibly was good at a headlock takeover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Does anyone use the term "scientific wrestling" anymore?

Sadly, more often than not, it's "do your own research wrestling" these days, because scientific approach to wrestling is now passe!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Some folks here have really unhealthy parasocial relationships with certain wrestlers and other folks in the biz, posting as if they've been personally wronged by these complete fucking strangers. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Does anyone use the term "scientific wrestling" anymore?  Gorilla used it to describe what we'd be seeing out of Orndroff vs Tito because both were faces and, ostensibly, would wrestle a good clean match and not engage in any fisticuffs or rulebreaking. 

It was also used in the 80s to describe any wrestler who knew more than one suplex and possibly was good at a headlock takeover.

I think the word "technical" has been the term used describe the same concepts going back to the late 90s.

• Like 3

My friends and I will say that we are watching scientific wrestling when talking about Olympics or NCAA. Like "Oh they had scientific wrestling on ESPN yesterday". I pop for the occasional lucha announcer using limpios for the technicos.

I was re-watching Miro's return and the way they announced him as being from Bulgaria but now living in Nashville makes me want them to start announcing him as being from Nashville, Bulgaria the way Sabu was from Bombay, Michigan. That's my random thought for the day. Carry on.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

More thoughts on stuff I watched recently!

I'm working my way through every WWF PPV (plus The Big Event) on The 'cock, probably until I get to the 90s and the nostalgia wears off.   I only watch a bit at a time because I have a kid and a job and both are demanding!

Savage vs Dynamite was the sole semifinal bout of the Wrestling Classic tournament -- JYD got a bye because Tito & Orndoff fought to a DCO.  So this is probably the best five minute match you'll ever see.  Both guys were ahead of their times and awesome.  Dynamite hits the ropes like they owe him money.  Everything is hard and crisp and looks like a struggle.  When a superplex ends in a cradle and is called "the Savage/Dynamite finish," this is where it came from.  And Savage's small package was a thing of beauty.  No euphemism intended there, get your mind out of the gutter.  

Savage vs JYD from the finals of the tournament was dog shit.  Pardon the pun.  For some reason this got nine minutes and is the longest bout on the card.  Tons of stalling as Savage tries to do something, anything effective with all that time while at the same time not having to wrestle the woefully untalented JYD.  So he stalls like prime Lawler out there.  When they do actually wrestle it's not good.  The shine is so dull and lasts so long that I started to wonder if they'd abandoned the standard formula.  Finally Savage does get the heat but it doesn't last too long, then JYD back body drops him out of the ring (which got a big pop!  Crazy how much stuff the fans went all in for back in the day) and WINS BY COUNTOUT.  Honestly what the fuck.  So I guess they were protecting Savage by 1) having a fresh guy beat him and 2) losing on a CO, because he'd be winning the IC belt in three months, while at the same time sending the fans happy with a babyface win.  SO they booked a final and then had to figure out a 50/50 way to get out of it.  The more things change...

I started the next major show, Wrestlemania 2.  I remember waiting at the video store for a few hours for this to come back in because I wanted to see it so bad.  Holy shit was I a dummy.  Ray Charles sings "America The Beautiful" and starts it with a different verse and I'm confused.  But fuuuuuck could that guy sing.  What a legend.

Vince announces his cohost, SUSAN SAINT JAMES, as the greatest actress in America today.  LOOOOOOOOOOOOL holy fuck.  He said that. 

Orndorff vs Muraco was next and man are they doing Orndorff dirty.  Two big shows in a row with matches ending on a DCO.  I guess he was just in a holding pattern as Hogan's pal until the upcoming heel turn.

The next three matches will be Savage vs Steele, Jake vs George Wells, and Piper vs T.  God help me.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

In fun news, Sam Shaw came to the restaurant I manage today. What makes this news great was that he was a regular before he signed with the 'E so it was cool to see him. It was also good that he had his awesome wife and son with him because I was worried about working into a shoot with Indi and glad that wasn't the case.

It was a great surprise.

Edited by KidNatural
I kicked his leg from under his leg.
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, KidNatural said:

In fun news, Sam Shaw came to the restaurant I manage restaurant today. What makes this news great was that he was a regular before he signed with the 'E so it was cool to see him. It was also good that he had his awesome wife and son with him because I was worried about working into a shoot with Indi and glad that wasn't the case.

It was a great surprise.

Did he have a hatchet in his jacket?

On 6/3/2022 at 4:57 AM, cwoy2j said:

I was re-watching Miro's return and the way they announced him as being from Bulgaria but now living in Nashville makes me want them to start announcing him as being from Nashville, Bulgaria the way Sabu was from Bombay, Michigan. That's my random thought for the day. Carry on.

If there's a place named Nashville in Bulgaria for real; then, I'll allow it since there really is a Bombay, Michigan...sort of.

Been thinking about Bret Hart's 2010 WWE return and the three best things to come from it.

3. Bret Hart teaming with John Cena/Daniel Bryan/Edge/Chris Jericho/John Morrison/R-Truth vs. The Nexus at SummerSlam.

2. Bret Hart at a MSG house show teaming up with Tyson Kidd/David Hart Smith vs. The Nexus with Bret Hart bringing back two of the five moves of doom, the Backbreaker and middle rope elbow. Never expected to see those again.

1. Bret Hart returns to WWE, his first appearance on RAW in 12 years as guest host, 4th January. The first night WWE went head to head with TNA under the new Hogan/Bischoff regime with the latter getting thumped if I remember rightly. Fuck Hogan and Bischoff.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 7

Who are four CURRENT wrestlers that encapsulates what you enjoy as a fan? Your ~style~ of wrestling fandom derp. Not including your absolute favorite (assuming you have a living GOAT) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Who are four CURRENT wrestlers that encapsulates what you enjoy as a fan? Your ~style~ of wrestling fandom derp. Not including your absolute favorite (assuming you have a living GOAT) 

Malakai Black, Kota Ibushi, Will Ospreay, Kenoh. Danielson excluded as he's obviously the perfect wrestler, a real man's man said so. I guess I really like kickpad guys.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Penta - weirdo Lucha goth/brawlers are something I can always get behind, see also Super Dragon, Ultramantis Black, Delirious.

Brock - the best of the big bad ass ass kickers around

Dustin - grizzled old vet who still goes hard

FTR - best proponent of old school tag team wrestling

• Like 2