DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

31 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Great idea that I assume a few of us had kicking around under the hat when they started talking 'Pig'. That said, to each their own, but I'll take the original...

This sounds weird, but the original version is a little too clean for my tastes. The FNM cover (which Ozzy loooooves) is more chaotic with Mike Bordin's insane drums leading the charge, and just a modern feel that plays better for the AEW crowd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Faith No More are in my all-time top 5, so I'd be alllllll about hearing their cover, but how does that work as far as licensing? Do they have to clear with both bands? Both record labels? I'd be curious to know, since they've got X's cover of "Wild Thing" already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

This sounds weird, but the original version is a little too clean for my tastes. The FNM cover (which Ozzy loooooves) is more chaotic with Mike Bordin's insane drums leading the charge, and just a modern feel that plays better for the AEW crowd.

Whoa, I didn't realize Ozzy ever commented publicly on their version. I wonder if thats why he hired Bordin as his drummer for a decade or so. Thanks for that tidbit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Faith No More are in my all-time top 5, so I'd be alllllll about hearing their cover, but how does that work as far as licensing? Do they have to clear with both bands? Both record labels? I'd be curious to know, since they've got X's cover of "Wild Thing" already.

You have to pay the song writers (Iommi,Ward, Butler, Osbourne in this case)  and then the band (either Sabbath or FNM) who preformed the song. This is why its often cheaper to use a cover version of a popular song in films (cheaper to have someone play a dylan song that actually have Bob Dylan for instance) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I prefer the black magic and unstoppable force of the original. It feels otherworldly to me. I also much prefer the more subtle less busy/flashy groove Bill Ward brings. It's not even a question mark on this end, Black Sabbath 1970-1975 are one of the greatest bands of all time. I have no flavour for Mike Patton's overly gimmicky vocals nor rap/rock predecessors Faith No More. Solo Ozzy post-Blizzard is not much in line with my tastes either, so not really surprised he'd be down with it. I mean the guy is a muppet vegetable cartoon (tho likable) character not a tastemaker. Ozzy's preference is no fuel to this conversation. Again, to each their own. I prefer the Troggs 'Wild Thing' too. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Fightful Select reports that the AEW star, who defeated MJF and won his freedom at Sunday’s PPV, will debut the new theme song “imminently.” The music is said to be done but there is no confirmed debut date yet.

Well here ya go. Just for the record, I'd gladly take FNM 'War Pigs' over whatever muthafuckin Ruckus they're likely to bring.

50 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not exactly the same, but reminds me of how they modified the set for Grand Slam. 

It’s very similar, and they are going the same route for the United center and little Caesar’s arena later this month. Looks like this is the new route for big arenas. I dig it. 

7-D9-CD2-EE-8-A22-48-B7-A793-B5-BE152135

Loved the set/stage, it looked compact, sleek and just awesome. I hope it’s the new one moving forward and not just a one night thing because it’s the best one they’ve done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Well - that MJF promo was certainly some well-executed shooty bullshit. Still not something I want to see.

The real news of the night though, was Toni Storm changing direction off an Irish Whip. How is that even possible? Is this some new discovery by wrestling physicists?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That was quite the wannabe pipe bomb promo, except with 1000% more screaming and shoot names. Meh. Whatever.

Rest of the show was the shit and the finishing sequence to the main event was awesome.

• Like 4