DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

11 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

So Walt's still the only one who gives a shit about the rules. 

Just watched the main event. Yeah. We're watching that again. And again. 

Also. 

ALSO. 

I just found out about Blood and Guts in Detroit. 

I have tickets and I can't wait to tell my friends that we get to see it live. 

Wrestling is so goddamn awesome. 

Nice one. Enjoy!

I don't even think the wrestlers there are aware that the post-PPV Dynamite is almost always not that great. In addition to all the focus being on Britt, Wardlow practically looked like a JAG when he should be a superstar now.

It's not like Dynamite was bad, but the booking for the post PPV ones lacks any kind of urgency.

Obviously I am a fan of women's wrestling and want them to get more time on the show, but its a natural side effect of having a lot going on with a really large roster. The Acclaimed took forever to be regular Dynamite fixtures so I don't want to see them booted from getting TV time (and the crowd loves them), BCC/Jericho Society are one of the current biggest feuds so they are going to get TV time, we have the MJF stuff, Punk is going to get airtime due to popularity and being the champion. The women's match that was on the show was really good, don't want that booted, and Jade had a talk segment. 

I guess the ten man could have been snipped some for a Thunder Rosa segment as it meant nothing, but again it got ten wrestlers on the show, including the popular Young Bucks and Jurassic Express. Meanwhile a ton of other popular wrestlers had no matches that I wish did - Swerve, Lee, House of Black, Death Triangle, Nyla, etc. etc. although a few did get a quick promo.  Plus Thunder Rosa isn't a *great* promo, so at most all they would have had for her was a quick backstage segment to maybe set up her next feud.

So while I agree with Thunder Rosa - you have to find a way to get your champion on the show, they do jam a lot into two hours and I don't think its that easy. I don't pity TK for trying to squeeze everything in, although one can certainly argue its a mess of his own creation.

• Like 2

Chiming in on MJF thoughts, after what @S.K.o.S. said, about if he's so rich, why is he whining about what he's making. I just think it's a weird coincidence that he was paying Wardlow all this money, overpaying him by his own admission, and would have been fine paying him staying home. Now that this financial burden was lifted off of him, he's concerned about not being paid enough? Da fuq? Maybe you weren't as smart after all? I mean Spears does pretty much anything you tell him to do while AEW is footing the bill?

You just had to go on some egomaniacal powertrip of "owning" a guy who (as we saw) could crush you if he wanted to. Now that backfired and all of a sudden you noticed "Hey, most of my money went to paying for my (now ex-) bodyguard and hiring a bunch of security to try and keep him away from me?!?"

What's the point of anyone paying you "what you are worth" if you keep throwing that money away like a stupid, spoiled dipshit? If this is about lack of respect, sure, I get that aspect. I identify with it hard and you can easily tug on my heartstrings with that. But don't ever come talk to me about how much more you ought to be making, if your stupid ass keeps throwing the money away like that, anyway! Ok, so instead of a bodyguard, maybe you need a financial advisor that has some in-ring experience?

Trying to mess up a big merger or attempting to put your company in a worse-off place after the said merger by giving them bad publicity, because you want more money and respect? Perhaps you should have ran those plans by Mark Sterling before opening your mouth? Once in a generation talent? Yes, at least once in a generation, someone gets so hyped up on their own press that they start believing that they are THAT GUY, but are overlooked unjustly. So, yes, for this generation, you just became that guy. Congratulations, dipshit. It would be a shame if this "revolution" ended up like the last few of your masterplans. For such a "smart guy", you really need to think things through a bit more.

Now, if this is all a long-con to screw Punk out of his title and avenge your chain match loss at Revolution, then you have my attention and I will stand corrected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, porksweats said:

this is clearly a work guys

Gotta throw more condescension in there to really sell it. 

I wonder if making Rampage a more women-centric show would work. That time slot is going to pull the same number regardless - use it to build out the division and set up some feuds since Dynamite is so packed. 

• Like 3

I guess they wanted parity or something, but honestly, if the women's division only gets one match and one interview segment per week on the main show, they don't need two women's titles. Somebody with more time and math skills can work out the segments to titles ratio for men and women but it's way off.

The TBS title feels especially superfluous because Jade is booked to be more important than Rosa.  Contrast that to the clear 1 & 2 we see on the men's title side.  They might as well unify the women's titles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

I guess they wanted parity or something, but honestly, if the women's division only gets one match and one interview segment per week on the main show, they don't need two women's titles. Somebody with more time and math skills can work out the segments to titles ratio for men and women but it's way off.

The TBS title feels especially superfluous because Jade is booked to be more important than Rosa.  Contrast that to the clear 1 & 2 we see on the men's title side.  They might as well unify the women's titles.

I said from jump they do not have enough TV-ready ladies to support two divisions. I understand the parity idea (and it wouldn't shock me if women's tags end up being introduced for the same reason) but there is a lot of inconsistency. Are there enough women signed full time to have 10 contenders for each belt at any given time?

• Like 1

I know she's been on Dark and she's got a ways to go in-ring wise, but I'd like to see Abadon on Rampage/Dynamite. Am I crazy or didn't the Trick or Treat match exceed expectations? I'm not saying she needs to be in a major storyline, but she'd be an interesting one-off challenger for the TBS Title. The Bunny is another one who seems like she could be used as a "tomato can" for Thunder Rosa on TV. 

Also, watching Dynamite this week and looking at the ratings breakdown, I do think this show was sort of front-loaded and the easy fix is to swap the 8-man with the opener. The crowd was hot and the 8-man was a fun match so it would've been a suitable way to start the show. Then you can do the MJF thing followed by Miro/Johnny Elite. Then you'd be starting Hour #2 with either the Jericho Appreciation Society segment or CM Punk and FTR. 

• Like 2

I think the parity goes a long way, even if it's grossly superficial at times. Ever since Cody left and the very mature and comfortable-with-themselves fans turned on Sammy for having a girlfriend, the TNT title has meant less than the TBS title anyway (nothing against Scorpio, who's great, but the hot potatoing of the belt and the confusing heel/face ambiguity has severely devalued that belt). So if we're going to talk about unifying singles titles we may as well talk about unifying both of them. 

I know it's a tough sell because of what the segment by segment ratings show but I watch every week and don't see how the women's division is ever going to get over if it's constantly given so little tv time. If the ratings indicate a lack of interest that's largely by design and can be rectified. The voice of populist America, Pro Wrestling Illustrated, voted Lights Out as MOTY for crying out loud...clearly theres an unanswered demand there.

I was really heartened by the long Rosa/Deeb interview segments, even if they lacked crispness--felt like TK was finally pulling the switch on the women and moving toward equal screen time. Seeing this from Rosa bums me out, and hopefully the company takes it to heart.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

Hey, look, it's the quarter hour breakdowns we deserve:

So, did everyone leave in Q3 AFTER the promo? Or did the promo make them leave midway? Or was it the ad break?

Maybe we should all just talk more about how good Garcia vs Moxley was instead?

Because of my bias, I'm going to interpret this as over 150k people turned their channel during MJF's promo, and they never recovered more than half of them.

• Like 1

Miro is back!  I like Scorpio Sky, but Miro should decimate him for the belt to, as others have stated, put a "hard reset" on the TNT title.  It sucks to see that they're treating Thunder Rosa and the Womens belt similarly to Hangman and the World belt.  An afterthought.  

I loved the MJF promo, just because it's an air of unpredictability and I'm interested to see where it goes next.

Thought they didn't really treat Wardlow like the Monster he came across as leading up to the PPV.  It seems like AEW is excellent at booking these long term storylines (Hangman, Wardlow, Rosa), but they don't know what to do once they're finished.   Like "Oh, well that's finished, um..." Cue Talladega Nights "I don't know what to do with my hands"

CM Punk v Tanahashi should be awesome, but it's a real shame that the World Champ was the worst out of everyone out there during the 6 man, including Billy Gunn.

Is Kingston one of, if not the most over people on the roster at this point?  I swear when comes out it's always a massive pop.  I really hope that he gets a Foley-esque, feel good title win at some point, hopefully from Punk.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Miro is back!  I like Scorpio Sky, but Miro should decimate him for the belt to, as others have stated, put a "hard reset" on the TNT title.  It sucks to see that they're treating Thunder Rosa and the Womens belt similarly to Hangman and the World belt.  An afterthought.  

I loved the MJF promo, just because it's an air of unpredictability and I'm interested to see where it goes next.

Thought they didn't really treat Wardlow like the Monster he came across as leading up to the PPV.  It seems like AEW is excellent at booking these long term storylines (Hangman, Wardlow, Rosa), but they don't know what to do once they're finished.   Like "Oh, well that's finished, um..." Cue Talladega Nights "I don't know what to do with my hands"

CM Punk v Tanahashi should be awesome, but it's a real shame that the World Champ was the worst out of everyone out there during the 6 man, including Billy Gunn.

Is Kingston one of, if not the most over people on the roster at this point?  I swear when comes out it's always a massive pop.  I really hope that he gets a Foley-esque, feel good title win at some point, hopefully from Punk.

I particularly agree with you on Miro, Thunder Rosa and Eddie Kingston.

I said it elsewhere, I think Eddie Kingston is the most popular wrestler in AEW which is saying something. Biggest example was his singles matches with Bryan Danielson and CM Punk, the only time both were really booed. I also said Eddie is having one of the best runs in AEW history. Kingston should definitely win the AEW World Championship.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

Just now, The Natural said:

I particularly agree with you on Miro and Thunder Rosa.

I said it elsewhere, I think Eddie Kingston is the most popular wrestler in AEW which is saying something. Biggest example was his singles matches with Bryan Danielson and CM Punk, the only really time both were booed. I also said Eddie is having one of the best runs in AEW history. Kingston should definitely win the AEW World Championship.

Everything he does is just so intense.  He really is a damn joy to watch, in an absolutely unhinged, chaotic and violent way, lol.  That visage of him bleeding witht he gas can, well i had it printed out onto an 8x10 and i have a goal to get it signed and framed for my house.  Just an absolute epic shot.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Everything he does is just so intense.  He really is a damn joy to watch, in an absolutely unhinged, chaotic and violent way, lol.  That visage of him bleeding witht he gas can, well i had it printed out onto an 8x10 and i have a goal to get it signed and framed for my house.  Just an absolute epic shot.

Genuine, likeable and believable. Kingston can go in the ring but his greatest quality is the gift of the gab. Man, can Mad King talk.

• Like 3

Eddie feels very much like Akira Taue to me, in that he's the best wrestler in the company (Taue was technically 2nd best after Kawada...I guess Fax can be AEW's Kawada) but people don't see him in that light because his body and technique are "unconventional" or whatever vague word you want to use for not athletic on the level of Omega/Misawa or Hangman/Kobashi. Ishii is also like this, and similarly bypassed for more acrobatic guys  But in terms of having a great, unique match every night and winning the fans hearts every time, Eddie is the guy you want on top. AJPW and NJPW both recycled the same champs over and over again because they didn't have faith in the HEART of Taue (whose only reign was brief and transitional) or Ishii (who is still a viable champ at 50 or however old he is but will clearly never get the belt). It's worth noting also that Take and Ishii haven't had to vacate titles/take prolonged time off multiple times due to injuries like their more athletic peers have. I'm rambling but Eddie is the guy to build around, the same way Austin (the anti-Shawn, in the same way Eddie is the anti-Omega/Hangman) was clearly the guy to build around in 97. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Genuine, likeable and believable. Kingston can go in the ring but his greatest quality is the gift of the gab. Man, can Mad King talk.

Your money feud after King-Jericho is King-MJF.

• Like 3

If Punk had turned heel - as some predicted - I would've been 1000% on board with Kingston winning the title at the Arthur Ashe show (can you imagine the pop?) and then dropping it back within a month or two. The ol' Lex Luger in 97' thing. 

I'm of the mind that Kingston doesn't need a title for long because, like Foley only a handful of others, he's so friggin' awesome at making every rivalry he's in feel like its a matter of life-or-death and that the stakes (usually personal pride) are much higher than material things like championship belts. Right now is a perfect example. Its no surprise that Jericho was very, very interested in working with Kingston as I think a lot of this JAS stuff would've been DESTROYED online if Uncle Eddie wasn't the audience surrogate. The fact that Eddie is out there every week believably trying to kill these fuckers keeps me from being too down on Jericho building an entire stable as a "WWE in joke" (I mean, we're not in Voodoo Kin Mafia territory here but...)

Sadly, somehow, Kingston's merch designs are just so unfortunate. I'm not sure if he needs to just crowd-source some ideas or what because I'd love to put some money in the dude's pocket but none of his tee-shirt designs on PWTees appeal to me at all. What I'd love is just something simple - a black and white head shot or a gnarly colored illustration of him with the gas can, on a black tee-shirt. No logos. No words. Ultra, ultra simple and clean. 

• Like 3