DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

37 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Lauren Theisen has weighed in on Defector (for those who are subscribers): https://defector.com/the-aew-mjf-feud-gets-more-fake-and-more-annoying/

Her premise is erroneous. She criticises the angle execution & MJF as 'spurned employee' reconciliation w/ Khan while presuming that MJF ever had an authentic issue with his treatment in AEW or by Khan to begin with.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You have to applaud TK for letting Mox hit the drain valve on his forehead in front of all those executives. What you see is what you're gonna get, people! 

Not just that but Garcia rubbing Moxley's blood all over his face during the picture in picture.  One hell of a mission statement for the new bosses.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You have to applaud TK for letting Mox hit the drain valve on his forehead in front of all those executives. What you see is what you're gonna get, people! 

Total speculation and conjecture: I wonder if TK sold it to the network execs as an "adult wrestling product." I mean, you had a live F bomb and the aforementioned blood, and got rewarded with an overrun! Zero chance they just went rogue on that. Makes me very hopeful for the future, because it seems (at least on the surface) like the show is in much less danger than many speculated with the merger.

• Like 3

I’m gonna ignore all the worked shoot bullshit that happened last night and just say this…

CM Punk doesn’t need to botch on purpose in order to botch. He does not need to “pretend” that he is a mediocre athlete. He IS a mediocre athlete. 

(push Kris Statlander)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

First,  this is a boredom at work idea and no one should actually take it seriously. Second,  now I'm doubling down on why this is a good idea. 

The way this would work is that MJF and whoever eventually joins him would not only be heels to start,  but they'd be heels because of what you said above. Danielson,  Punk,  Moxley, etc. have been pretty clear on why they signed with AEW.  They gave no interest in turning this into an us vs. them angle. The issue is that MJF and his group have a point,  they've been grinding from the very first show trying to make a name for themselves and as soon as they start gaining momentum, these outsiders come in and immediately get pushed up the card. This needs to start small with just MJF, and people have to slowly start agreeing with him. For the most part everything will continue as usual for most of the card for up to a year.

The way this needs to work is that there needs to be a tipping point where the former WWE guys hold all of the belts, and one of them tries to injure Jungle Boy or Darby to keep the championship.  Whatever it is has to be so foul that they go to MJF's side and takes the crowd with him. Then everyone who was on the fence or wanted to stay out of it, can't realistically not fight for their place in AEW.  The build up needs to be long, but the blowout should be fairly short.

Up until this point,  MJF and whoever joins him are whiny heels who are bitching and complaining about their spot on the card. The ex-WWE guys are saying all the right things, but as they win more championships, they are turning up the viciousness while the originals are valiantly going out on their shields. After the tipping point, the ex-WWE guy has to cut a promo about how they aren't going to apologize for their actions,  because this is what it takes to be a champion. Then the originals,  who are now the faces, band together to get all the belts. As soon as Jungle Boy or Darby win the world championship,  MJF turns off him.  The end. 

Nope. Made it worse. So you would actively try your hardest to get the crowd to turn on the biggest money generating members of the roster? Like the end result down the line is AEW originals are the babies, and the guys that have helped almost double the PPV buys like Punk & Danielson among others are now to be reviled? If they go down that road and commit to it and the audience buys in, you're purposely tanking the value of these guys. If the storyline really works hardcore you get your audience booing these guys out of the building every time they are on tv. They stop buying their merch. They stop buying PPPVs to see these guys wrestle. The people that are tuning in to see them probably stop tuning n.

You're splitting your fanbase up and making them fight against each other. It's a work brother. It's not AEW guys vs WWE guys because everyone here is an AEW guy. There's no benefit in portraying the biggest draws like Punk & Danielson & Mox & Jericho as "WWE guys" at all. You're losing money and market share and fan interest by telling them these are the guys you shouldn't like now. And to take it a step further you're encouraging people that like Mox & Punk & Danielson to go watch the other guys because that's who has the people you like.

It can work on a small scale with one heel working his way through super low card dudes. Billy Gunn. Dustin. Big Show. Mark Henry. But it veers you off a cliff to the extent you're advocating for. I understand there are fans that only care about the on screen product they see. But when you factor in the business aspects of this it's financial suicide.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It can work on a small scale with one heel working his way through super low card dudes. Billy Gunn. Dustin. Big Show. Mark Henry. But it veers you off a cliff to the extent you're advocating for. I understand there are fans that only care about the on screen product they see. But when you factor in the business aspects of this it's financial suicide.

That's why the money making guys are the faces for the majority of the story. They are the champions,  who are saying all the right things and treating MJF and his cronies like the whiny bitches they are. Once it turns,  you are putting the younger group over. Then after all of that it was a long con of manipulation from MJF the entire time. 

The story already has its tracks laid with Danielson and Moxley's characters being the vets who brutalize youngsters as a form of tough love. That's why i made the turn to be with Darby or Jungle Boy,  they are never day die babyfaces who the crowd would sympathize with enough to make the turn work.   Moxley and Danielson are in their late 30 to early 40s. They are by no means washed up,  but it is about time for them to start putting over the next generation. It needs to be done subtly, but it's a story that could work. 

It's not like anyone will ever listen to my booking advice,  but that's how I'd do it. 

• Like 1

969k viewers  The demo was 0.40 (522,000). Ranked no 2. NHL was ranked number 1.

Last week 929k viewers 

Edited by Quantum

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

To be fair I don’t think the blood was planned although probably inevitable. Mox’s stitches opened up and as soon as he realised he just said fuck it, throw me into the ring steps. 

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

CM Punk doesn’t need to botch on purpose in order to botch. He does not need to “pretend” that he is a mediocre athlete. He IS a mediocre athlete.

As the biggest CM Punk fan on the board: is anyone trying to argue otherwise???

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

As the biggest CM Punk fan on the board: is anyone trying to argue otherwise???

I've always thought of Punk in the same way as Cena: great at putting matches together, great at selling, great physical charisma, not an ounce of in-ring athleticism. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

We’re narrowing down what athleticism is so it doesn’t include having the wind to wrestle for 20+ minutes? 

Oh, he's absolutely athletic. I'm narrowing the definition of "athleticism" in this case to "doesn't look like he's going to trip over his own feet on the way to the next spot." 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That's why the money making guys are the faces for the majority of the story. They are the champions,  who are saying all the right things and treating MJF and his cronies like the whiny bitches they are. Once it turns,  you are putting the younger group over. Then after all of that it was a long con of manipulation from MJF the entire time. 

The story already has its tracks laid with Danielson and Moxley's characters being the vets who brutalize youngsters as a form of tough love. That's why i made the turn to be with Darby or Jungle Boy,  they are never day die babyfaces who the crowd would sympathize with enough to make the turn work.   Moxley and Danielson are in their late 30 to early 40s. They are by no means washed up,  but it is about time for them to start putting over the next generation. It needs to be done subtly, but it's a story that could work. 

It's not like anyone will ever listen to my booking advice,  but that's how I'd do it. 

Listen I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun or entertaining story. It would be. Just that there really isn't a way of doing it that doesn't cannibalize the value of most of the guys that draw money for AEW. Like there are tiers here. I don't think Cole or Red Dragon or Keith Lee / Swerve being involved in this story would tank AEW's business too bad. But if it moves up the card to the big deals like Punk & Danielson & Mox it would absolutely have a negative effect on business.

It's not just as simple to draw money as Darby pins Mox. MJF pins Punk. Jungleboy pins Danielson. It takes a lot more to elevate someone and get them to be money drawing member of the roster than just coming out on top of a story and getting a win. How many times did Roman Reigns get wins before he found his way and became an actual money drawing act? You do 100% hurt the value of the "WWE" guys you let be shit talked and treated as invading guys that the audience shouldn't like tho.

So what happens if the story ends exactly as you have it laid out but AEW's PPVs don't make as much money in the next cycle? They drop off 20% because Punk is devalued. It's too late to turn back the clock at that point. It's not really a risk worth taking unless you have strong indicators BEFORE starting the angle that the "WWE" guys aren't the ones people are paying for anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

We’re narrowing down what athleticism is so it doesn’t include having the wind to wrestle for 20+ minutes? 

Yes and no. I feel like athleticism in this context as things you have naturally not something you can train to do. Having the wind is based mostly on the amount of cardio training someone is doing.  Unless you are an Ethiopian or Kenyan marathon runner, pretty much everybody has a similar capacity for cardio training. Punk's athleticism deficit is more in the running, jumping, explosiveness area which people tend to have a much more varied capacity.  I don't think he's unathletic,  but he does do some things that looks like he's bumping against the ceiling of his athletic ability on a regular basis. 

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

Garcia is soooo turning on Jericho and joining the BCC at some point.  Moxley is so great.  He is the man who makes stars.  I assume he will make Lee Moriarty into a star at some point.  What a great episode.    

Lee Moriarity ain't happening, nor should he

• Like 2
  • Sad 2