DVDVR Message Board

6/1/2022- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

Just now, For Great Justice said:

MJF promo was an all timer execution-wise but….what’s this lead to? Tony isn’t going to wrestle. Not sure I dig it. At all.

There are historic examples of the boss wrestling that have been very commercially successful. Stat Boy knows. Richie Rich Tony vs Working Class Hero MJF incoming. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, MJF. The promo was undeniably fantastic and I say that because it started out with 15,000 fans booing him out of the arena and ended with all of them giving him a standing fucking ovation.. it was something im not sure I've ever seen.. 

Yes, it was Russo. But it was everything Russo WISHES that he was able to accomplish. MJF towed the line of work and shoot without exposing the "work" elements of in ring competition. He exposed a contract dispute but thats far different than saying hey everyone all this shit is fake bro. 

He brought the intensity, he called Tony a fucking mark, he brought up the overpaid and over reliance on WWE talent etc.. it was good stuff.

But I can see why people wouldn't like it and I can see how it came off maybe as trying a bit too hard to get to the work/shoot, like you could tell it was mostly work because they took forever to cut the mic. 

But to me.. it was good and will definitely have people talking.

• Like 7

Great show. MJef was expected to have a 'shooty' promo and ppl were ready to hate it. When you hit every note and take a crowd out of their seats like that it's hard to argue that it's not great pro wrestling television.

• Like 4

That's exactly where I'm at with it. If the network is actually there, they either okayed or encouraged the promo given that they also later granted an overrun. It was definitely a bit inside baseball, but people are going insane about it from what I can tell. The Russo thing would be to go back to the well on it every week, but if it's done rarely it can be effective. I rolled my eyes at first, but it's hard not to connect with that kind of intensity (plus, the guy made a hell of an argument).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ok, MJF. The promo was undeniably fantastic and I say that because it started out with 15,000 fans booing him out of the arena and ended with all of them giving him a standing fucking ovation.. it was something im not sure I've ever seen.. 

Yes, it was Russo. But it was everything Russo WISHES that he was able to accomplish. MJF towed the line of work and shoot without exposing the "work" elements of in ring competition. He exposed a contract dispute but thats far different than saying hey everyone all this shit is fake bro. 

He brought the intensity, he called Tony a fucking mark, he brought up the overpaid and over reliance on WWE talent etc.. it was good stuff.

I 'like' that.

But I can see why people wouldn't like it and I can see how it came off maybe as trying a bit too hard to get to the work/shoot, like you could tell it was mostly work because they took forever to cut the mic. 

But to me.. it was good and will definitely have people talking.

Too many details working perfectly to cut it down for the slow mic cut. But, of course, a certain taste from certain ppl will feature terrific reasons why that wasn't a fantastic piece of work.

• Like 1

Miro was back and looked great. Hopefully he sticks around and gets something worthwhile to do.

MJF's promo was great execution-wise, but the uber-shooty material wasn't anything he hasn't done before. "Pipe Bomb" promos only work if they're a rarity, and not part of someone's regular repertoire.

Moxley/Garcia was good but once again they had timing issues on the back end of the show.

I was expecting some kind of angle after the 10 man match but I guess they're holding off on whatever happens with the belts. As much as I think it's time for JE to drop the belts, I really hope they don't do it to the Young Bucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Fewer promos about boring shooty contract shit, more promos about finding and killing God.

I'll take 'em both. I'm hardcore.

Jesus, that bump on the steps is asinine. Great stuff, lol.

• Like 1

So you start out with BHAS and somehow get better from there?

Some Ace guy from The Orient comes out!

MJF has lost his smile.

He dropped an MJF Bomb.

Then Miro comes back. Good Lord what a show!

If the Wizard gets a buzzcut does he become the Buzzard?

Matt Hardy and Christian teaming up is kinda cool.

Hikuleo has been studying his Darby Allen tapes!

I saw Kyle O'Reilly wrestle in tiny halls around the Greater Vancouver Area at the start of his career.

Oh, really?

No. O'Reilly.

JR with the bowling stats!

"He has a family!"

Last two matches topped it all of perfectly. Hard hitting.

AEW loves those crazy stair bumps.

Bux vs LB and ...

Finlay in AEW coming up!! Hopefully they'll all get together backstage and watch videos of the great TV matches his dad had with Regal. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Miro is back and nothing else matters

MJF promo was an all timer execution-wise but….what’s this lead to? Tony isn’t going to wrestle. Not sure I dig it. At all.

Ideally it leads to people tuning in to see if he’ll show up or not or how he tries to disrupt the show. He just got his comeuppance in a match. The stakes need to be different now.

In reality, we’ll see?

• Like 2

MOX v. Garcia best of 75 series please

Really good show with only the Swerve in out Glory and the Athena/Baddies segment being a bit of a hole

Love the ten man tag and MJF's intensity made that promo feel real.

And I don't know if anyone else caught it but big LOL at JR talking about Wardlow's sports background by going to him bowling  6 300 games

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm on time!   I was almost alarmed when it took a while to wheel Anthony Bowen out.  I was wondering why he wasn;t there.  Then he showed up and all was right with the world.  Austin Gunn is so fucking great.  Dax Harwood is so fucking awesome.  Cash Wheeler is fucking awesome.  Coulton Gunn is really good.  Max Caster is getting better.  CM Punk is wrestling like Ricky Steamboat tonight.  Austin Gunn forces a defiant Dax Harwood to assume the role of Ricky Morton.  Austin Gunn bumps like a freak over the toprope!  OH NO!  Dax HArwood does the Bret Hart Irish Whip spot during the picture in picture so JR can't make an awkward allusion to it.  Dax sells an ass beating during the commercials.  Great close-up of CM Punk when Caster attempts a Sharpshooter.  CM Punk fucks up everything on the hot tag but pulls it together to hit a sweet toprope elbow drop.  The finish was very complicated!  CM PUNK vs TANAHASHI!  That's great but I'm not sold yet.  Let's see who Bryan Danielson gets.  OH NO! MJF IS GONNA SHOOT!  MJF IS Shane Douglas!  MJF IS Brian Pillman?  He is Shane Douglas. Will he become the new Ken Kennedy? AWESOME! MIRO RETURNS!  God, they are making Johnny Impact earn that contract.  Johnny Mundo got in a few things but MIRO IS BACK!  YAAAAY!   And he crushed Johnny like a bug!  It's the Jericho Appreciation Society.   Cool Hand Ange addresses the AEW Galaxy!  Daddy Magic has all kinds of scar tissue.  He was so fucking hardcore  at Double of Nothing.  Jericho is awesome.  BLOOD AND GUTS!  Hikolea and ReDragon take on Matt Hardy and Darby Allin and Christian and Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus.  Oh yeah, and the Young Bucks!  IT ALL BREAKS DOWN AND DARBY ALLIN HITS THE GREATEST TOPE OF THE NEW MONTH!  THEN!  The Bucks go crazy!  This is like the House of Black vs Death Triangle match from Sunday.  Christian is the glue holding this baby together.  He makes Hikolea look great, going headfirst into the second turnbuckle.  Nick Jackson does a fantastically odd sell of a THING that Luchasaurus did.  (I can;t really explain it any better than that.)  HIKOLEA CRUSHES HIS OWN SKULL!  AND KEEPS GOING!  Hikolea then bumps big over the toprope!  The Young Bucks get their loss back and YOUR ALL STAR WAS HIKOLEA!!  It's Wardlow!  It's JD Drake!  It's Smart Mark Sterling!  FINALLY!  JUSTICE FOR THE BEATEN UPON SECURITY!  I hope that guy who ended up in the trash can gets 40 bucks.  It's the problematic Dynamite Women's match!  Will the heat be weird?  How much more will the Rampage ladies match smoke it?  Let's watch, shall we?  Ruby Soho is all emotional these days.  I dig it.  It's like method acting.   She assume the Ricky Morton role in this tag match.  They beat on her during the picture in picture!  Jamie Hayter is beloved in Southern California.  She is avoiding Toni Storm,  and who would blame her?  Baker and HAyter look great in this.  They ARE the Glamour Girls!  TONI STORM is a GREAT Robert Gibson.  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL GERMAN SUPLEX.  FUCKING BEAUTIFUL FLYING HIP ATTACK!  Hayter CRUSHES Storm with a DDT to the floor.  Soho hits a Plancha!  Baker with a Slingblade on the floor!  A BUNCH OF STUFF HAPPENS!  SOHO GETS HER WIN BACK!  BAKER AND HAYTER GET THEIR HEAT BACK!  Finally, a Dynamite Ladies match where the heat wasn't weird.  That was great.  Toni Storm and Jamie Hayter are just so a step ahead of every other woman wrestling in North America.  Actually, Athena is right there with them.  Things are looking good for the AEW women's division.  The Lord Regal is feeling it tonight.  Moxley and Garcia is awesome,  BLOOD, DADDY!  This is such a great fucking feud.  Garcia is awesome during picture in picture, destroying Moxley's knee.  He procures the Figure Four.  Man, even in the tiny screen, Moxley is a crimson mask.  Garcia licks the blood like Eddie Kingston.  Fucking INSANE bump by Garcia on the steel steps.  Oh man, this match is fucking great.  Great fucking counter to the Garcia Sharpshooter.   What a fucking match.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Fuck, Garcia is so GREAT and he's only 23. He's #2 or #3 on their prospect list. He got the ultra Regal Stretch in that slick exchange late on. Great match, great crowd, great show. AEW in a huge arena with a hot crowd is among the most fun things in wrestling.

• Like 11