DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

I think the PPV result should put to rest that the whole thing with MJF is an angle. If it were an angle, he would have appeared to beat down Tanahashi and Moxley. I can't really say that I miss MJF when Christian is right there, doing the same thing but better. Although it sucks how they treated Christian during his last Impact title reign.

12 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I think the PPV result should put to rest that the whole thing with MJF is an angle. If it were an angle, he would have appeared to beat down Tanahashi and Moxley. I can't really say that I miss MJF when Christian is right there, doing the same thing but better. Although it sucks how they treated Christian during his last Impact title reign.

Disagree. Whatever they have planned, they're being patient with it. When Punk left WWE with the title he was back in like 4 weeks. So it makes sense that if AEW is gonna crib that angle, they're gonna be patient with it. Why on earth would they have had MJF come back after 4 weeks and attack an interim champion? Even if Punk weren't hurt, way too soon for that. And Mox is more of an AEW guy at this point than a WWE guy that jumped (the whole point of MJF's promo was fuck them WWE guys come in and making more money than me).

MJF not coming back after 4 weeks to nonsensically attack someone not part of what he was complaining about doesn't put anything to rest.

• Like 4

Punk was back with the title after 8 days he missed one whole week of tv. I think Tony is much more patient with angles but I’m still not sure of the MJF stuff is a work or not at this point. And really don’t care cause MJF has lost a lot of his shine to me any way and I don’t care if he comes back or not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Punk was back with the title after 8 days he missed one whole week of tv. I think Tony is much more patient with angles but I’m still not sure of the MJF stuff is a work or not at this point. And really don’t care cause MJF has lost a lot of his shine to me any way and I don’t care if he comes back or not.

I lean towards everything being a work now with MJF (though it may not have started out that way). However, do not really miss him either and am good with him sitting out indefinitely.

• Like 1

I'm of the mindset that they are purposely holding out for this exact reason. The longer it goes on, the more people begin to question whether it's a work or a shoot. For my money, it's  100% a work. You don't put a live microphone in the hands of a disgruntled employee on National TV with executives there unless it's a work.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm of the mindset that they are purposely holding out for this exact reason. The longer it goes on, the more people begin to question whether it's a work or a shoot. For my money, it's  100% a work. You don't put a live microphone in the hands of a disgruntled employee on National TV with executives there unless it's a work.

Exactly.  It's a work.  But I feel like it was a counterproductive work that put down the company and its workers, and took a lot of spotlight and heat off Wardlow, so I really don't care about this story and whether MJF ever comes back.  I'd rather AEW be straight forward pro wrestling without this Russoesque crap.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Exactly.  It's a work.  But I feel like it was a counterproductive work that put down the company and its workers, and took a lot of spotlight and heat off Wardlow, so I really don't care about this story and whether MJF ever comes back.  I'd rather AEW be straight forward pro wrestling without this Russoesque crap.

Also, if it's a work, it's counterproductive in that he's not being missed. He's not holding anything hostage like Punk did with the belt. And (if it's a work) the effort to make it realistic by not talking about him is leading to an element of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. If/when he comes back it'll be fine, but in the meantime...

• Like 2

Not sure I'm that keen on a 6-a-side Blood & Guts. I feel like 4 on 4 works best, 5 on 5 is workable, but by about the 3rd/4th entrants the heat is out of it and there's a suspension of disbelief that the heels with a man advantage are yet to murder someone.

Would adding a powerplay work, where you're able to send the tag team in as a unit? I think it freshens it up a bit, doesn't slow things down, and gives you new talking points around the strategy on how to capitalize on it and/or counter the team with the advantage.

In this instance, there's so many "just another guy" in it. It would help speed things along. I'd like to see it where there's a Wardlow-like guy in it, and the face team use their powerplay, only to see them both just get wiped out in seconds by the monster heel instead. 

• Like 3

Its clearly a work, but some of the best "works" are the ones that have an element of truth, a person just taking how they feel and putting it up to 100 for entertainment value. MJF may legitimately be frustrated with his contract and making less than other wrestlers that are below him in the pecking order, and he can channel that frustration into a storyline. I'm not sure what the end game is but that's part of the fun, we don't know if MJF will appear next week, at All Out, or anywhere between. Or even how the crowd will react since his last promo they alternated between booing and cheering him.

Since the Kentucky boxing and wrestling commission is so dumb, I’m not expecting AEW to come here to Louisville anytime soon. 

We’ll be on vacation in Tybee Island, GA next week. And dammit if AEW isn’t coming to Savannah the week after we’re there. Dammit! 

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's how I feel as well. I don't miss him one bit and I'm pissed about how it downgraded Wardlow although it looks like they finally have a plan for him.

• Like 2

Someone needs to take away MJF’s ECW Bubba Ray Dudley and 2000 WCW tapes, burn them to the ground, and give him some 1987 Tully Blanchard.

It’s like when there’s a five star can’t-miss sports talent that does miss because they go to the wrong organization that sucks at developing them. You just want to sit MJF down and  just tell him that this isn’t the way, kid. This unbearable cheap heat shooty bullshit just isn’t the way. Don’t become pro wrestling’s David Carr.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Alan Angels gone from AEW?

Bummer. I feel like they could have gotten a lot more out of him. Maybe have him and 10 be tag champs or something. Dark Order's numbers are starting to dwindle.

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Bummer. I feel like they could have gotten a lot more out of him. Maybe have him and 10 be tag champs or something. Dark Order's numbers are starting to dwindle.

It's probably time to break up the Dark Order. Sad to say, but Brodie's passing was really the nail in the coffin for them. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Alan Angels gone from AEW?

A guy like Angels could benefit from an Indie run or Impact or some tours abroad. He's solid and could be a contributor, but certainly not expendable. I like a bit of turnover. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's probably time to break up the Dark Order. Sad to say, but Brodie's passing was really the nail in the coffin for them. 

They’ve been slowly phasing them out and shifting the focus to 10 and Evil Uno as a big man tag (for now) and Silver

• Like 1