DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, Log said:

It's too bad the Pixies broke up in 1991 and never returned or made any more music.

Also so sad that Morrissey died in 1994.

Ah well, the Frank Black and Breeders/Amps (especially the Amps) catalogues contain plenty of treasures. If you’re saying Vauxhall is Moz’s best I’m not going to argue, but suggesting he didn’t issue some of his best songs after will be our point of contention. Also, probably not a good idea to bring up his name amongst ppl who will only or mostly know him from misquotes and hot takes.  Yes, I stand by my grumpy sometimes misinformed elders. Don’t forget the songs that saved your life!

But uh, when’s Claudio going to giant swing into my Wednesday night programming?

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ah well, the Frank Black and Breeders/Amps (especially the Amps) catalogues contain plenty of treasures. If you’re saying Vauxhall is Moz’s best I’m not going to argue, but suggesting he didn’t issue some of his best songs after will be our point of contention. Also, probably not a good idea to bring up his name amongst ppl who will only or mostly know him from misquotes and hot takes.  Yes, I stand by my grumpy sometimes misinformed elders. Don’t forget the songs that saved your life!

But uh, when’s Claudio going to giant swing into my Wednesday night programming?

Also would like to know the answer to this. 

As for Pixies, sure they've gone from albums full of hits to only having 1-2 decent tracks per album, but that's better than nothing. I'm just happy they're still making music, they've got a new album coming in September and I'm seeing them and Pearl Jam at Hyde Park, London soon, so I might be bias.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leonidas said:

As for Pixies, sure they've gone from albums full of hits to only having 1-2 decent tracks per album, but that's better than nothing. I'm just happy they're still making music, they've got a new album coming in September and I'm seeing them and Pearl Jam at Hyde Park, London soon, so I might be bias.

I wish I shared your feelings. Deceny just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to this band. The excellence of execution of their pre-break-up catalog spoiled my expectations forever more. I've seen some modern live clips and the chops are still there for gigging, but Francis' material is just nowhere near up to snuff. When I was watching (phenomenal) Frank solo shows in the early oughts I would have loved to see Santiago and Lovering on stage, but Deal has proven to be too important to the mix, and for that reason I just watch from a far, far distance and hope for the best. Glad that impeccable rhythm section is having fun and getting paid. I guess same to Frank, but I can't help but think he's the main culprit as to why there's No Deal.

AEW should really fire up the full version of 'Where is My Mind?' for those big moments like Orange's return last week. I want the 'Oooh stop' and the acoustic intro for imporant moments. I can't really see how an Orange Cassidy-Will Ospreay match plays out, but it's building excitement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

If I’m lucky, I can shake that fan’s hand one day.

If you're really lucky, it will happen fairly soon! It will probably be pretty gnarly if it happens, say, 3-4 years from now, tho!

"Tanahashi touched my hand back in '22, haven't washed it since, man!"

Edited by Shartnado
Meaning...

I got a high five from Fujiwara once. At an Osaka Pro big monthly show where he was the special guest. I eventually washed my hand. I don't think I even held out for three days, to be honest. You know how it is: you use the toilet, then you want to brush your teeth. You wash without thinking. I believe I cursed out loud after I did that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Add Kyle O'Reilly to the injured list. So many injuries right now, I'm probably forgetting someone.

AEW:

Bryan Danielson.

CM Punk.

Kyle O'Reilly.

WWE:

Cody Rhodes.

Randy Orton.

Rhea Ripley.

NJPW:

Tomohiro Ishii.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Add Kyle O'Reilly to the injured list. So many injuries right now, I'm probably forgetting someone.

AEW:

Bryan Danielson.

CM Punk.

Kyle O'Reilly.

WWE:

Cody Rhodes.

Randy Orton.

Rhea Ripley.

NJPW:

Tomohiro Ishii.

Missing a few for AEW

Red Velvet's out and so is The Bunny. Bowens and Darius Martin on the men's.

• Like 2

Kenny Omega is doing an interview w/ SRS right now and it's very silly. Worked soft burial of Will Ospreay. It would be funnier if this wasn't leading up to a match and instead just his opinion.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

AEW:

Bryan Danielson.

CM Punk.

Kyle O'Reilly.

WWE:

Cody Rhodes.

Randy Orton.

Rhea Ripley.

NJPW:

Tomohiro Ishii.

Naito's functionally done as a main eventer, Kenny's still hurt, Kota and Sasha might be healthy (or not) but are off the table, Adam Cole's banged up, Big E's still out, at least three midcard women in AEW w/ Bunny, Velvet & Hirsch, obviously the Hardys aren't a factor anymore, Anthony Bowens is in a wheelchair, Tanahashi looks like hell. It's rough out there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Kenny Omega is doing an interview w/ SRS right now and it's very silly. Worked soft burial of Will Ospreay. It would be funnier if this wasn't leading up to a match and instead just his opinion.

Silly Omega is my favorite Omega. I hope he’s doing alright health-wise.

Edited by Octopus

The wild thing about the AEW injuries is that most of them are guys who aren’t doing much, if anything, with other promotions.

shame about KOR, I’ve really enjoyed his asskicking singles role lately.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It’s a good thing AEW has a million guys on the roster after all. Time to push Christian, Keith Lee, and Ricky Starks to the moon.

Well, that is certainly making lemonade!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

It’s a good thing AEW has a million guys on the roster after all. Time to push Christian, Keith Lee, and Ricky Starks to the moon.

Save for wanting to see certain performers more I've never been a proponent of the bloated roster talk. Now, clear to all, an obvious counter to said bemoaned theories. 

• Like 1

Wait, Skye Blue is injured too? Oh come on. On some level, I hope this is Khan caring about his wrestlers and giving them time off when at other points in history, that wouldn't be the case and they'd work through whatever smaller injuries they have. As opposed to a slew of really serious stuff.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5