DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

On 6/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, TheVileOne said:

The worst part about this is that it's not surprising. I was concerned under the circumstances of how he left WWE, and I was also concerned how quickly AEW picked him up. AEW and Tony Khan were too eager about a Hardys reunion and getting that old Hardys music than actually thinking about how if this was a good idea or not. Not to mention, both Matt and Jeff looking really slow and wrecked in the ring, and continuing to take nasty bumps and risks they shouldn't be doing at this point. 

Dave Meltzer's comments about how the Hardys are still over, huge draws, and still a hot act ring loudly in my mind.  People were far too quick to give Jeff Hardy the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah it was more batshit crazy. WWE were lampooned for treatment of Jeff but it’s sheer moral negligence to have that guy anywhere near a working environment: sheer greed to have employed him. Carny Dave being Carny Dave: the idea that the Hardy ‘Boys’ are in any way shape or form a “draw” in 2022 is demonstrably ludicrous. Employing both has also been to the detriment of more talented younger teams with a far higher ceiling. Cut both and put whoever recommended devoting time & resources to this moral hazard on the bench. 

Edited by A_K

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And the ladder match is on. YB vs JX.

I hope TK comes out and just throws Hookhausen in there right before the match starts like when the Hardys re-debuted in WWE last time. They dont have to win, just make the crowd happy.

• Like 3

We should get a vignette where Matt is wearing a suit and napping in the locker room.  He is awakened by Private Party, Butcher, Blade, and Bunny, and he explains that he had the weirdest dream about the HFO being taken over by Andrade Cien Almas and then Bother Nero came back and did a bunch of dumb shit.  Then he looks at the camera and winks.  Everybody laugh.  Roll on snare drum.  Curtains.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

We should get a vignette where Matt is wearing a suit and napping in the locker room.  He is awakened by Private Party, Butcher, Blade, and Bunny, and he explains that he had the weirdest dream about the HFO being taken over by Andrade Cien Almas and then Bother Nero came back and did a bunch of dumb shit.  Then he looks at the camera and winks.  Everybody laugh.  Roll on snare drum.  Curtains.

And then, as it fades to black, HFO can be all like "Andrade? We wouldn't hang around with that asshole!  But we did come to tell you, we voted, and yeah, we really don't want to hang around with you anymore, either! Byeee!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see some value to booking the Hardy Boyz in 2022, but is there that much upside right keeping Matt on tv as a solo act?  Big Money Matt and his jobber stable was mildly entertaining, but Matt is nearly 48.  Given how bloated the roster is, it seems like there should be a lot of acts who could make better use of the tv time.

Jeff probably needs to get out of the business and make a sincere effort to get help.  He’s never been interested in either in the past and may only be agreeing this time to get back on tv and keep the paychecks coming.  Hopefully, I am wrong but I think he’ll be back on tv as soon as he makes a half-hearted show of getting help.

Edit: Also, Jeff’s license was apparent revoked.  No one around him noticed that he had access to a car?  How does his family, Matt, AEW, etc. allow him to drive in the first place?

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

If Jeff ever comes back to TV it should be for one retirement tag match and that's it, anything else would be a bad decision by everyone involved imo. The guy has been absolutely done for a few months, not even taking this latest arrest into account.

I think I've mentioned it since his return, but you can tell the guy is in absolute pain just breathing and casually walking in and out of the ring, can't imagine what Swantoning the ring steps is doing to his body and mind.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, A_K said:

Yeah it was more batshit crazy. WWE were lampooned for treatment of Jeff but it’s sheer moral negligence to have that guy anywhere near a working environment: sheer greed to have employed him. Carny Dave being Carny Dave: the idea that the Hardy ‘Boys’ are in any way shape or form a “draw” in 2022 is demonstrably ludicrous. Employing both has also been to the detriment of more talented younger teams with a far higher ceiling. Cut both and put whoever recommended devoting time & resources to this moral hazard on the bench. 

Are you sure it's not a work?

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Also, Jeff’s license was apparent revoked.  No one around him noticed that he had access to a car?  How does his family, Matt, AEW, etc. allow him to drive in the first place?

It’s almost as if the people close to Jeff who assured everyone that he was fine when he signed with AEW had conflicts of interest that made them ignore what was actually going on with him. 

• Like 1

I just realized that Jeff's arrest happened at 9:45 AM.  I thought it happened more like 2:30 AM.

First question is: what sort of life are you living that you are blowing a .3 at 10 in the morning?  I assume if this was the result of a long night/early AM binge, he'd be sobering up by 10 AM.  Do bars even serve you that early in the morning?

Second thought is: Holy shit!  This dude was driving around loaded near the early morning rush hour.

Third thought: Jeff told the cops he was on his way to get a brain scan.  You get that loaded before a doctor's appt?  If that's true, he probably shouldn't be working before he gets the scan results.  Of course, I think Jeff's brain is probably fried from too many drugs and too many concussions over the past 30 years, but.....

I don't know enough to judge anyone near Jeff, but it certainly looks like he can't look out for himself and doesn't have anyone around him really looking out for his best interests.  That said, Jeff is ultimately responsible for his own decisions and actions.  It bugs me on a personal level how many passes he gets.  I developed a pretty serious drinking problem in college and started going to AA meetings at age 23 (almost 30 years ago), so I've met a lot of alcoholics and substance abusers in my life.  I've got a lot of sympathy for people who relapse.  I've got almost no sympathy for dudes who insist they are fine and refuse to accept help with their problem and generally take their drinking as a license to be a self-absorbed scumbag.  Alcoholism aside, Jeff presumably knew he didn't have a valid driver's license and why.  He was sober when he decided to ignore the law and keep driving himself around.  That's not an alcoholic driving himself to a bar and being too bombed to process that he can't drive himself home safely.  That's a sober dude making a conscious, willful decision to ignore the law because it's inconvenient.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What does that whole line about "resume contact mean?" It makes it sounds like Jeff Hardy was intentionally ghosting them.

Matt himself said Jeff was "almost knocked out" at Double or Nothing. That suggests that Jeff Hardy was concussed. He also mentioned getting a brain scan in the arrest video. 

AEW doesn't have the best track record in dealing with concussions beforehand. And frankly, booking Jeff Hardy in matches after Double or Nothing, where he likely was knocked out or concussed, and then booking him in a ladder match that was still on up to last Monday is another major red flag. But hiring Jeff so quickly was also a big red flag. 

Matt Hardy, Alex Reynolds (the worst of the lot, that was horrible), Sammy Guevara and Jeff Hardy. Bad track record.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Are you sure it's not a work?

Your little passive aggressive stalker shtick is funny, keep quoting - I must be making up a fair % of your posts by now, and this time you even get a response! I get that you were one of those falling over yourself to explain away Carny Dave being hoodwinked by the DON stuff (maybe you even put money in the Carny one's pocket?). As I said to the last guy, its also amusing that a battered 43 year old who they hung their multi-million $ contract re-negotiation period on, and leg-sweeped their young champ for, was allowed to be so reckless as to jump into crowds or trying springboard moves immediately after taking the title and that was considered more 'normal' than the prospect of Punk being baked into the MJF narrative. This latest Hardy episode is simply further extension of big picture mad-cap decisions like that being taken at the top. Ratings will continue to stay under 1 m. or fade further, talent management will continue to be muddled, the long-term booking will continue to run more astray now that they've finished the first couple years of storylines they planned at the outset, and you & your ilk can continue to fetishize the niche stuff. All is good with the world.

Edited by A_K

13 minutes ago, A_K said:

Your little passive aggressive stalker shtick is funny, keep quoting - I must be making up a fair % of your posts by now, and this time you even get a response! I get that you were one of those falling over yourself to explain away Carny Dave being hoodwinked by the DON stuff (maybe you even put money in the Carny one's pocket?). As I said to the last guy, its also amusing that a battered 43 year old who they hung their multi-million $ contract re-negotiation period on, and leg-sweeped their young champ for, was allowed to be so reckless as to jump into crowds or trying springboard moves and that was considered more 'normal' than the prospect of Punk being baked into the MJF narrative. This latest Hardy episode is simply further extension of big picture mad-cap decisions like that being taken at the top. Ratings will continue to stay under 1 m. or fade further, talent management will continue to be muddled, the long-term booking will continue to run more astray now that they've finished the first couple years of storylines they planned at the outset, and you & your ilk can continue to fetishize the niche stuff. All is good with the world.

Now that's a shoot brother.

Calling Dave Meltzer a carny, questioning his motivations, or calling him disingenuous has some real "worst of r/squaredcircle," "I don't know what I'm talking about" or "I'm a young smart fan trying to be edgy" energy.  It's up there with claiming he or Alvarez must be on AEW's payroll.  You can have a lot of valid criticisms about Meltzer but I don't think "dishonest" is in the top 100.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Calling Dave Meltzer a carny, questioning his motivations, or calling him disingenuous has some real "worst of r/squaredcircle," "I don't know what I'm talking about" or "I'm a young smart fan trying to be edgy" energy.  It's up there with claiming he or Alvarez must be on AEW's payroll.  You can have a lot of valid criticisms about Meltzer but I don't think "dishonest" is in the top 100.

The way to criticize Meltzer when he emphasizes crowd reactions as the driving force for the workrate-y things he wants to give five stars to is to post this gif:

Waving Boy Band GIF by AMAs

Doing that is way more entertaining than saying he's on the AEW payroll.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The words arrogance and condescension are now represented by two letters on this board. I'm sure yall can read between the lines there.... moving on...

I was active in the Jeff conversation in the main pro wrestling thread yesterday before AEW put out their press release. I am totally good with how it shook out. It was equal parts compassion & consequences. My position was never that he should be allowed to get away with it and it's no big deal. My stance was let's not pile on and ban him from the business when he needs help. He has to live with consequences from his poor judgement and reckless behavior. I'm okay with that. I'm just glad he wasn't fired and isn't banned for life like lots of people wanted.

If he takes this serious and truly rehabilitates himself, I hope people wont be so harsh on AEW giving him another chance. He's a valuable performer and can and does deserve to have another run for all he's given to the business. *IF* he gets clean.

Sorry I'll let yall get back to DVDR Dinners Drive ins & Dives now ?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I can see some value to booking the Hardy Boyz in 2022, but is there that much upside right keeping Matt on tv as a solo act?  Big Money Matt and his jobber stable was mildly entertaining, but Matt is nearly 48.  Given how bloated the roster is, it seems like there should be a lot of acts who could make better use of the tv time.

I dunno, if Jeff is out for quite a while like it sounds I think Matt still has some value. Maybe have him team up with/try to give some credibility to a young guy (like a Lee Moriarty) or put him with a younger tag team in a mentor role like Christian has been doing with Jurassic Express. Maybe pair him with the Hollywood Blondes and have them do a program with House of Black so that seemingly never ending feud with Death Triangle can finally be done. If all else fails he still has enough credibility that he can be useful putting over lower card guys they might want to push like Caster, Ogogo, Brody King or Buddy Matthews.

Matt is really smart about how he works around his limitations when he’s not in garbage matches, and I think he’s proven that he’s one of the best minds in the business. Lower mid card player/coach Matt was very good. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 11

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The way to criticize Meltzer when he emphasizes crowd reactions as the driving force for the workrate-y things he wants to give five stars to is to post this gif:

Waving Boy Band GIF by AMAs

Doing that is way more entertaining than saying he's on the AEW payroll.

Did NKOTB ever play The Tokyo Dome OR the old Reseda VFW?  Because that crowd reaction in those venues would easily get at least 12 stars. 

• Haha 2