DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

25 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Standard cop speak.  The real damning thing is that Hardy consented to a breath test after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI at least two times before.  Make them get a warrant, Jeff!  They always fuck those up!  And even trying to do a field sobriety test, after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI. 

Life Pro Tip: if the cop asks you to get out of the car, you're going to jail.  You don't have to answer any questions, you don't have to do any field sobriety tests (those are impossible to pass as they don't tell you what they are looking for and any innocuous thing you may do will be interpreted as a sign of intoxication; they eye test they do is looking for minute movements that can't be seen on any video and if a cop administers the test you've already got 6 clues of intoxication), and you don't have to give them a sample of your breath or blood.  Don't think "Oh, if I don't do them it'll make me look more guilty."  The only thing that makes you look more guilty is the more evidence you give them. 

Or, you know, it's 2022, get an uber.  Don't drink and drive!

I dunno if someone blowing a .294 is in the mental state to remember the "how to avoid getting a DUI" code. Personally I am glad he did the breath test as he needs to get off the roads, maybe they will finally punish him this time. Not all arrests are bad, some people should be arrested. Even if he gets six months of residential rehab, that's fine, hell WWE will pay for it. I'm not saying he should rot in prison, he needs help but clearly he needs a strong forced nudge to get there.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know you're from Houston, so maybe very good advice based on Texas laws.

I live in PA. As condition to receiving a license you sign away your rights to refuse a sobriety test. You can say no, but that is automatically considered a guilty plea in The Commonwealth of PA. Not only can you not say no to a sobriety test, you can't say no to blood being drawn / urine test / breathalyzer or else you are automatically guilty. So if you have a legitimate fear of needles and they decide they want to draw blood, you have no recourse. You can't pick one or the other or anything like that. It's police discretion and you get no choice in the matter. And refusing is an automatic acceptance of guilt.

So let's add a citation to your post based around that advice being the legal advice for Texas only. You're trying to get some licenses taken away in PA with that advice lol.

That's kinda unconstitutional if a refusal to give breath or blood equals a guilty plea on the DWI.  

I think you're talking about license suspensions, where they can suspend your license if you refuse to give breath or blood or test over.  It's the same thing in Texas, except if you (or your competent attorney) requests a hearing on the license suspension within 15 days, you can have a hearing that your competent attorney could very easily win.  So, not quite the same, but probably the same.

That said, I'm an attorney in Texas. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That's kinda unconstitutional if a refusal to give breath or blood equals a guilty plea on the DWI.  

I think you're talking about license suspensions, where they can suspend your license if you refuse to give breath or blood or test over.  It's the same thing in Texas, except if you (or your competent attorney) requests a hearing on the license suspension within 15 days, you can have a hearing that your competent attorney could very easily win.  So, not quite the same, but probably the same.

That said, I'm an attorney in Texas. 

I know we are going off topic but I thought VA had something similar so I looked it up:

Consequences of Refusal

Breath Tests. Refusal of a lawfully requested breath test is a civil offense and carries a one-year license suspension. A driver who has a prior test refusal or DWI conviction in the last ten years will be guilty of a misdemeanor. A second-offense refusal carries up to one year in jail, up to $2,500 in fines, and a three-year license suspension.

Blood tests. Refusal to submit to a lawfully requested blood test is a civil offense and carries a one-year license suspension. A driver with prior DWIs or refusals will not be jailed for refusing a blood test but faces a three-year suspension.

I dunno the laws where Hardy is but he has a prior conviction, so by those laws a refusal of a breath test would be a misdemeanor. But I guess technically he wouldn't be guilty of a DUI for the refusal, just guilty of.... refusing? Either way I hope he gets help and AEW needs to not use him on TV until they are sure he is 100% clean (if ever again).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'd have Proud and Powerful as the third team, and they'd win the belts.

Santana and Ortiz don’t seem to be a tag team anymore. Not even on the Indies. Santana might even be on his way out of the company, as he’s been MIA since DON, while Ortiz has been getting this little singles run.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm checked out on all of the Forbidden Door PPV stuff. I'm glad we have Blood & Guts coming and I'm excited for whatever July reset we get, including the idea of a ROH PPV in July (Joe vs Lethal; maybe Yuta vs Garcia; FTR vs Ropangi Vice 2?). I feel like a kid watching Starrcade 95 and wanting a proper blowoff to the Savage/Luger feud and another Big Bubba vs Jim Duggan match instead of all this NJPW stuff they're giving me.

There is a very real chance that we are getting American Dragon vs Zack Sabre Jr.

And you are checked out? 

giphy.gif

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

There is a very real chance that we are getting American Dragon vs Zack Sabre Jr.

And you are checked out?

I understand that Sabre, Jr. apparently got exceptionally good somewhere over the last ten years and isn't just a Johnny Saint tribute act anymore (in a world where we need way more Jim Breaks tribute acts instead) and I honestly believe it because enough people I listen to say so, so I imagine it'll be good. But I've got no emotional attachment there.

At this point, I just hope Danielson is healthy and ready to have some more great 2022 matches (that one included, sure).

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I understand that Sabre, Jr. apparently got exceptionally good somewhere over the last ten years and isn't just a Johnny Saint tribute act anymore (in a world where we need way more Jim Breaks tribute acts instead) and I honestly believe it because enough people I listen to say so, so I imagine it'll be good. But I've got no emotional attachment there.

At this point, I just hope Danielson is healthy and ready to have some more great 2022 matches (that one included, sure).

I think we need more Les Kellett tribute acts, personally.

I feel confident in asserting that Bryan Danielson vs ZSJ would all but certainly be something you'd enjoy very much. 

It's also likely that Ishii, Suzuki, Cobb, and Yano will all be involved in one way or another, and that should be fun, too.

Edited by Gordlow

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm sure this will not be a post that gets many likes... and I don't like that it'll be happening either but...

I don't see them pulling Jeff from the match. He's out on bond. His court date is tomorrow. They will handout whatever fine & community service and mandatory rehab treatments they hand out... and he'll be free to do whatever he wants on Wednesday. If he is sober and can effectively work (by whatever standards they use), they'll let him be in the match. I mean Jimmy Uso had the same thing happen and he didn't miss any time. That was also his third DUI in 10 years.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this. But as long as Jeff Hardy is available to work, and wants to work, I don't see him being pulled from the match.

Meltzer says WarnerMedia has been told to stop all promotion of Jeff in commercials or anywhere else immediately. 

6 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't want him to be on the show until he gets help. 

I want to point out that he effectively quit/got fired from his last job for refusing to get help. I know for some reason people wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt or believe it was all an elaborate plan to get out of his WWE contract, but I think at this point we can all admit that the most likely reality is that he wrestled so fucked up (likely drunk) in WWE he wandered into the crowd mid-match and then refused to get help after. I see no reason to believe he'd act differently if a similar demand was made.

...Of course it won't be, remember AEW was running with "erratic" Matt Hardy wandering out through the crowd afterwards to make light of Jeff's actions so as long as he doesn't go to jail or kill someone I think he's golden there.

Also seriously, mostly in general but specifically here as well... if you're gonna go get shitfaced call a fucking cab/uber.

• Like 1

Kingston is just the absolute greatest. I really hope we get a rematch with him and Punk. That segment where Eddie just went off on Punk was one of the best segments ever. He took Punk’s lunch money in that promo for the most part. Along with that and the incredible mental health piece he did with The Player’s Tribune was just so great.

We really deserve to see The Mad King getting a giant moment. The best part of King is that he is not afraid to be vulnerable. There is a depth to him that goes beyond being really good at working from underneath or vicious when a heel. He looks like everything in his life has been a fight.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

And you are checked out? 

giphy.gif

It’s no ZSJ vs Edith Surreal, but I guess since that match isn’t happening anytime soon then this is fine 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

You check out his matches with Ibushi. I love the G1 match where he just keeps pissing him off until Ibushi tries to murder him.

Zack Sabre Jr. has been one of the highlights of NJPW for the past few years. He’s one of the most realistic dickeads in the ring, not trying to come off as EVIL but just looking like a total douchebag that really finds it hilarious to be an asshole.

He also forces his opponents to get out of their comfort zone match wise (and get into his comfort zone I guess) which makes for unique matches. 

One of my favourite moments watching live was when he beat Okada here in the UK. He did a bridging roll up and flipped us off as he was doing it and the crowd reaction was incredible.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

On 6/12/2022 at 6:17 PM, Casey said:

Fair play on Wardlow and Thunder Rosa I guess, but I’m firmly in the camp that believes Hangman’s “now what?” story is about him losing the title and what happens to his character and that journey. It’s one thing for a guy with extreme self-doubt to win the big one, but the more interesting thing is a guy with extreme self-doubt losing that title he spent 2019-2021 trying to win.

Of course, stories like that aren’t for everyone, especially when they move at such a slow pace sometimes. But I’m here for it. 

I think your right on Hangman, I was more thinking about they really didn't have a feud lined up for him post title win until punk. Lame duck Archer and the endless Col rematches

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

You check out his matches with Ibushi. I love the G1 match where he just keeps pissing him off until Ibushi tries to murder him.

When they announce Danielson is cleared and the match is on, I'll go do the legwork.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EVA said:

Santana and Ortiz don’t seem to be a tag team anymore. Not even on the Indies. Santana might even be on his way out of the company, as he’s been MIA since DON, while Ortiz has been getting this little singles run.

Boy, that’d be a real shame. Fwiw, Santana missed a few weeks between B&G and Stadium Stampede last year, too. Iirc there’s been some illness in his family….

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, just drew said:

Boy, that’d be a real shame. Fwiw, Santana missed a few weeks between B&G and Stadium Stampede last year, too. Iirc there’s been some illness in his family….

His stepfather passed away at the end of 2020. That might be what you're thinking of.

• Like 1

I don't think Santana is leaving. I forget where, but it was mentioned he had some shit he was working through. Plus, he's going to be in the Blood and Guts match. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 2:48 PM, Log said:

Put Christian in Jeff's place, have him somehow cost Jurassic Express the match.  They seem to be hinting a fallout with him and Jungle Boy anyway, just speed it up a bit. 

And you've got the whole 20-years-plus rivalry between Matt and Christian that could easily lead to JE losing.  Mistakenly of course....it wasn't his fault, you see...

EDIT: I have no idea how they would explain Christian challenging for the belts, but I guess it could be done to somehow kinda sorta make sense.

Edited by Marcel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

What does that whole line about "resume contact mean?" It makes it sounds like Jeff Hardy was intentionally ghosting them.

Matt himself said Jeff was "almost knocked out" at Double or Nothing. That suggests that Jeff Hardy was concussed. He also mentioned getting a brain scan in the arrest video. 

AEW doesn't have the best track record in dealing with concussions beforehand. And frankly, booking Jeff Hardy in matches after Double or Nothing, where he likely was knocked out or concussed, and then booking him in a ladder match that was still on up to last Monday is another major red flag. But hiring Jeff so quickly was also a big red flag. 

• Like 4