DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

The worst part about this is that it's not surprising. I was concerned under the circumstances of how he left WWE, and I was also concerned how quickly AEW picked him up. AEW and Tony Khan were too eager about a Hardys reunion and getting that old Hardys music than actually thinking about how if this was a good idea or not. Not to mention, both Matt and Jeff looking really slow and wrecked in the ring, and continuing to take nasty bumps and risks they shouldn't be doing at this point. 

Dave Meltzer's comments about how the Hardys are still over, huge draws, and still a hot act ring loudly in my mind.  People were far too quick to give Jeff Hardy the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And yet he's revered by significant people within the company, so he was always going to get a chance. 

Dropping Matt and straight up putting in a new team seems like a non-starter. Replacing Jeff with Darby would make sense based on kayfabe alliances. Christian being in the match vs his peeps wouldn't make sense yet, he can easily screw them without being made a competitor. And after waiting this long for a taste of Christian vs JB, I don't want it in a six person car crash match. 

Part of me wondered, beyond TK wanting to sign Jeff, if Matt and Nick wanted to as well because of how much respect they have for the Hardys and maybe they thought they could do something to turn Jeff's life around and make up for losing Kanyon.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe I'm short sighted, but if you have an Eddie Kingston on your roster, then who cares about what MJF does. I think some of us, myself included, get so wrapped up in the intrigue with what's going on with MJF that we forget Eddie is right there. Eddie is one of the best, if not the best, mic guy in all of wrestling, he's a fucking amazing worker, and fans are dying to see him get his run at the top. I know AEW booking can move slow as molasses when TK tries to plan out so much in advance, but sometimes you just have to pivot to the people that fans arguably love the most, and that's Eddie. Gregg said it beautifully in the Rampage thread, there really is no one like Kingston. I know we'll have to wait a little longer, but we can't wait forever. Give Eddie a fat contract and make him one of the big stars of your company.

Eddie Kingston is 40 years old. MJF is still in his 20s.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

I would argue that most people don’t care about the addict made out of tin foil who can’t talk, and that everyone just loves juking and high spots that three dozen people on the roster can do better and safer than him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm checked out on all of the Forbidden Door PPV stuff. I'm glad we have Blood & Guts coming and I'm excited for whatever July reset we get, including the idea of a ROH PPV in July (Joe vs Lethal; maybe Yuta vs Garcia; FTR vs Ropangi Vice 2?). I feel like a kid watching Starrcade 95 and wanting a proper blowoff to the Savage/Luger feud and another Big Bubba vs Jim Duggan match instead of all this NJPW stuff they're giving me.

I’m with you on that. Just not feeling it. I’m way more excited about Blood & Guts on the 29th plus the potential ROH PPV in July.

• Like 2

I still maintain that Jeff was messed up at DoN *prior* to the alleged concussion. There’s a pretty telling moment in that match where Matt Jackson just seems embarrassed by what’s going on, and I feel like that’s not the reaction he would’ve had if it was *just* a matter of working around an injury.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

AEW just tweeted out a Dynamite lineup that no longer has the ladder match on it. Could be that it's off the show, or could be that they're still deciding who to sub in.

As another person pointed out, Hobbs and Starks are RIGHT THERE. Or Darby and Matt Hardy. Whichever. I'd go with Team Taz for it though. I need more of Hobbs launching smaller dudes.

• Like 5

I'm sure this will not be a post that gets many likes... and I don't like that it'll be happening either but...

I don't see them pulling Jeff from the match. He's out on bond. His court date is tomorrow. They will handout whatever fine & community service and mandatory rehab treatments they hand out... and he'll be free to do whatever he wants on Wednesday. If he is sober and can effectively work (by whatever standards they use), they'll let him be in the match. I mean Jimmy Uso had the same thing happen and he didn't miss any time. That was also his third DUI in 10 years.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this. But as long as Jeff Hardy is available to work, and wants to work, I don't see him being pulled from the match.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'm sure this will not be a post that gets many likes... and I don't like that it'll be happening either but...

I don't see them pulling Jeff from the match. He's out on bond. His court date is tomorrow. They will handout whatever fine & community service and mandatory rehab treatments they hand out... and he'll be free to do whatever he wants on Wednesday. If he is sober and can effectively work (by whatever standards they use), they'll let him be in the match. I mean Jimmy Uso had the same thing happen and he didn't miss any time. That was also his third DUI in 10 years.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this. But as long as Jeff Hardy is available to work, and wants to work, I don't see him being pulled from the match.

His mere presence would kill the crowd. You think people are gonna cheer watching Jeff hurt himself when everybody has recently been reminded of how he deals with his pain?

I hated the signing and I hope there's consequences. I hope Jeff is out immediately. I hope Matt sits out for the foreseeable for continuing to go to bat for him. There hasn't been room for forgiveness in years and years.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, EVA said:

I still maintain that Jeff was messed up at DoN *prior* to the alleged concussion. There’s a pretty telling moment in that match where Matt Jackson just seems embarrassed by what’s going on, and I feel like that’s not the reaction he would’ve had if it was *just* a matter of working around an injury.

Jeff Hardy has shown up to work in such a state before. 

26 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

AEW just tweeted out a Dynamite lineup that no longer has the ladder match on it. Could be that it's off the show, or could be that they're still deciding who to sub in.

If they did try to go forward booking that match, I would call for Tony Khan's promotional license to be revoked.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

His mere presence would kill the crowd. You think people are gonna cheer watching Jeff hurt himself when everybody has recently been reminded of how he deals with his pain?

AEW's audience is much younger and socially conscious than what I would consider the average WWE audience. But even still, that only extends so far. I do think a chunk of the audience would be really put off if he's in the match. But the other chunk won't know any different and will be cheering just as loud as usual. Drinking and driving is a heinous thing to do. It's morally reprehensible. But I don't think it registers as high with the average person as we would like it to.

Again I will be very happy to be proven wrong on all of this. I don't want him to be on the show until he gets help. AEW has about 10 teams that are legitimately believable to insert here instead of The Hardys. Or as has been mentioned Matt & Darby together. Or even Matt & Sting or whatever.

I'd prefer Team Taz or FTR or The Lucha Brothers or Ropongi or like 5 or 6 other acceptable teams here. I'm just skeptical it will happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Oof.

Standard cop speak.  The real damning thing is that Hardy consented to a breath test after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI at least two times before.  Make them get a warrant, Jeff!  They always fuck those up!  And even trying to do a field sobriety test, after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI. 

Life Pro Tip: if the cop asks you to get out of the car, you're going to jail.  You don't have to answer any questions, you don't have to do any field sobriety tests (those are impossible to pass as they don't tell you what they are looking for and any innocuous thing you may do will be interpreted as a sign of intoxication; they eye test they do is looking for minute movements that can't be seen on any video and if a cop administers the test you've already got 6 clues of intoxication), and you don't have to give them a sample of your breath or blood.  Don't think "Oh, if I don't do them it'll make me look more guilty."  The only thing that makes you look more guilty is the more evidence you give them. 

Or, you know, it's 2022, get an uber.  Don't drink and drive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Standard cop speak.  The real damning thing is that Hardy consented to a breath test after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI at least two times before.  Make them get a warrant, Jeff!  They always fuck those up!  And even trying to do a field sobriety test, after, y'know, having already been arrested for DWI. 

Life Pro Tip: if the cop asks you to get out of the car, you're going to jail.  You don't have to answer any questions, you don't have to do any field sobriety tests (those are impossible to pass as they don't tell you what they are looking for and any innocuous thing you may do will be interpreted as a sign of intoxication; they eye test they do is looking for minute movements that can't be seen on any video and if a cop administers the test you've already got 6 clues of intoxication), and you don't have to give them a sample of your breath or blood.  Don't think "Oh, if I don't do them it'll make me look more guilty."  The only thing that makes you look more guilty is the more evidence you give them. 

I know you're from Houston, so maybe very good advice based on Texas laws.

I live in PA. As condition to receiving a license you sign away your rights to refuse a sobriety test. You can say no, but that is automatically considered a guilty plea in The Commonwealth of PA. Not only can you not say no to a sobriety test, you can't say no to blood being drawn / urine test / breathalyzer or else you are automatically guilty. So if you have a legitimate fear of needles and they decide they want to draw blood, you have no recourse. You can't pick one or the other or anything like that. It's police discretion and you get no choice in the matter. And refusing is an automatic acceptance of guilt.

So let's add a citation to your post based around that advice being the legal advice for Texas only. You're trying to get some licenses taken away in PA with that advice lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I dunno if someone blowing a .294 is in the mental state to remember the "how to avoid getting a DUI" code. Personally I am glad he did the breath test as he needs to get off the roads, maybe they will finally punish him this time. Not all arrests are bad, some people should be arrested. Even if he gets six months of residential rehab, that's fine, hell WWE will pay for it. I'm not saying he should rot in prison, he needs help but clearly he needs a strong forced nudge to get there.

• Like 5