DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

Erick Stevens pointed out on Twitter that the Rosa/Shafir match looked like Rosa sandbagging her on multiple spots and all around making her look bad (not a huge feat, but whatever). Britt Baker and Marina liked the tweets, too.

Maybe Ivelisse was right. ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Turning the Ass Boys heel and now pairing them with The Acclaimed have low key being two of the best booking decisions they've made in the past year or so. Perfect lower/mid card group.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

p6gpJVG.jpg

LOL that narrows it down!

You think he's going to talk about Jericho's crew but then he cuts a compelling, edge of your seat 20 minute promo on the cashier at his local bodega.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, (BP) said:

“First of all, I come out the womb and this doctor’s looking at me the wrong way.” 

"Then that rat bastard proceeded to slap me on my behind! ... I just realized this could take a while. Camera guy, don't you give me those eyes again, I'll get to you in a minute! Where was I...oh, yeah, then the nurse..."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'll never forget the story Eddie told on Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling where, as a youngster, Eddie had a confrontation and bowed up to his mom, and his dad grabbed him and faced him down, yelling "REMEMBAH! SHE WAS MY WIFE BEFORE SHE WAS YOUR MUTHA!"  Such an Eddie story.

It's up there with the wholesome story he told where if he was good all week and didn't get in fights or suplex kids in class, his mom would get him Chinese food and let him watch All Japan tapes.  His dad would be like "I'm tryna watch the news here and the kid's watchin rasslin!" and his mom would yell "LEAVE HIM ALONE HE WAS GOOD THIS WEEK!!!!" 

Fuck, Eddie Kingston is a treasure.  Put the main belt on him for a year. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 15

Since we all love Eddie, I shared this on the Discord, but forgot to post it here...

I legit teared up watching this. Eddie is the absolute fucking best. I think at best in AEW he might get a title run like Mick Foley had where he winds up being more of a transitional champion than anything. But dude, that's way better than nothing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe I'm short sighted, but if you have an Eddie Kingston on your roster, then who cares about what MJF does. I think some of us, myself included, get so wrapped up in the intrigue with what's going on with MJF that we forget Eddie is right there. Eddie is one of the best, if not the best, mic guy in all of wrestling, he's a fucking amazing worker, and fans are dying to see him get his run at the top. I know AEW booking can move slow as molasses when TK tries to plan out so much in advance, but sometimes you just have to pivot to the people that fans arguably love the most, and that's Eddie. Gregg said it beautifully in the Rampage thread, there really is no one like Kingston. I know we'll have to wait a little longer, but we can't wait forever. Give Eddie a fat contract and make him one of the big stars of your company.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe I'm short sighted, but if you have an Eddie Kingston on your roster, then who cares about what MJF does. I think some of us, myself included, get so wrapped up in the intrigue with what's going on with MJF that we forget Eddie is right there. Eddie is one of the best, if not the best, mic guy in all of wrestling, he's a fucking amazing worker, and fans are dying to see him get his run at the top. I know AEW booking can move slow as molasses when TK tries to plan out so much in advance, but sometimes you just have to pivot to the people that fans arguably love the most, and that's Eddie. Gregg said it beautifully in the Rampage thread, there really is no one like Kingston. I know we'll have to wait a little longer, but we can't wait forever. Give Eddie a fat contract and make him one of the big stars of your company.

That’s the beauty of Eddie Kingston, because to me he IS a big star of the company, top 5 guy. He’s main evented a PPV, had a run in to close another one, had the big match with Miro, is always mentioned by their biggest star (Punk). He’s a tippy toppy dude. But he’s so good at playing the underdog that you want the character to break through this glass ceiling or whatever when in reality the real dude is already there. He’s like Foley in that way.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 9

I'm checked out on all of the Forbidden Door PPV stuff. I'm glad we have Blood & Guts coming and I'm excited for whatever July reset we get, including the idea of a ROH PPV in July (Joe vs Lethal; maybe Yuta vs Garcia; FTR vs Ropangi Vice 2?). I feel like a kid watching Starrcade 95 and wanting a proper blowoff to the Savage/Luger feud and another Big Bubba vs Jim Duggan match instead of all this NJPW stuff they're giving me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

But how do we know that if he doesn't cut business exposing promos touting his skill oN tHe sTiCk?

don't forget winking cheap heat sports insults and calling the crowd hillbillies/inbred.

• Like 1

I thought last week's Eddie Kingston promo was one of the worst he's ever cut in AEW. Trying to hard to "make it real" so he could get a better reaction out of himself, the thing with the crew dude felt like he was checking things off a list and hit way too close to MJF mentioning the "countdown" a few weeks prior. Reminds me of when I agreed to be in waaay too many plays back-to-back and I wound up dogging my performance in an all-time American classic that was 3/4 comprised of my monologues. Ugh. Eddie! Don't force the method acting if it isn't coming naturally!

• Like 2

Jesus H. Christ...Again, among many other reasons, this is why it was a mistake to sign Jeff Hardy. I don't think in 2022 anyone gave enough of a shit about the Hardys vs the Young Bucks to buy a PPV. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. And he's a fucking mess. How he hasn't gotten into an accident a hurt or killed someone is beyond me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

And yet he's revered by significant people within the company, so he was always going to get a chance. 

Dropping Matt and straight up putting in a new team seems like a non-starter. Replacing Jeff with Darby would make sense based on kayfabe alliances. Christian being in the match vs his peeps wouldn't make sense yet, he can easily screw them without being made a competitor. And after waiting this long for a taste of Christian vs JB, I don't want it in a six person car crash match. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1