DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

Just heard an AEW radio commercial for Dynamite in Independence, MO (or as it’ll be called by some “Kansas City”)… and it’s recent enough to refer to CM Punk as the AEW champ but not recent enough to account for the title situation going into the confusion zone on Friday. So recent enough!

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

Rumblings have Claudio leaning toward going back to WWE.

Honestly, the way the roster is at AEW, that's probably a good idea. Tony Khan has the roster too stacked. Christian (who should be in the interim champion talks) is dealing with a guy who can't wrestle and a guy who can't talk as tag champions and both will never get any better as wrestlers. Sting (another person hyped up his debut) is nowhere near the AEW World title. Miro isn't talked about for a World title contention.

The problem is Vince McMahon sees Claudio as nothing more than a midcarder despite Claudio's abilities, look, work ethic, and match history. Claudio and Ricochet will forever be floating around US/IC title reigns and I'm not sure Claudio would be considered for a World title reign unless Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and Randy Orton all retire, Drew McIntyre, Seth Rollins, Cody Rhodes and Bobby Lashley get injured, and any other available choices would get no reaction.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Rumblings have Claudio leaning toward going back to WWE.

39 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Honestly, the way the roster is at AEW, that's probably a good idea. The problem is Vince McMahon sees Claudio as nothing more than a midcarder despite Claudio's abilities, look, work ethic, and match history. Claudio and Ricochet will forever be floating around US/IC title reigns and I'm not sure Claudio would be considered for a World title reign...

maybe he should have reached for that brass ring, pal!

• Haha 2

Missing out on Claudio after both Steen and Generico re-signed would hurt. Bray I could understand, but Claudio is such an AEW type of wrestler. Damn it.

Fightful just sent out a note on Danielson missing a meet & greet due to injury (he couldn't fly). ?

Venue claims Bryan Danielson injury
Unfortunate news on Bryan Danielson, as he was forced to miss a meet & greet in New Bedford, MA today.

Fightful has learned that Danielson missed the scheduled meet & greet, and when fans showed, they were told that he would not be there. A staff member told a fan that Danielson was injured and unable to fly, which the venue itself also confirmed to Fightful. Thus far Danielson nor AEW have commented or confirmed.

Danielson did not wrestle after Anarchy in the Arena at AEW Double or Nothing. 

As this is about an injury, we'll be releasing this info publicly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jiji said:

Missing out on Claudio after both Steen and Generico re-signed would hurt. Bray I could understand, but Claudio is such an AEW type of wrestler. Damn it.

Fightful just sent out a note on Danielson missing a meet & greet due to injury (he couldn't fly). ?

Probably both getting his foot stuck in the ramp and the dangerous Anarchy in the Arena match did a number on Danielson.

Thanks a lot Tony Khan.

• Sad 1

Lawful Jr. just told me that this is all a work, and it goes like this:

1. MJF is fired, per Tony Khan. 

2. Penta Obscura wins the battle royal, beats Mox. 

3. After he beats Mox, he unmasks and he's MJF!  Penta is tied up in the back or something. 

4. MJF beats Tanahashi and is the Interim champ. 

5. Calls himself the true champ, then takes the title hostage and we get Summer of MJF! 

6. Appears on WWE TV with AEW Interim belt.

7. Profit?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, username said:

Of all the interim title talk one thought keeps popping up in the back of my head: it seems foolish to expect Punk to be back fast, whatever fast relative to the injury actually is. He is a not particularly athletic 43 year old who will not take any sort of medication, including useful coming off surgery anti-inflammatories as mild as motrin. If it is for example a typical 2-4 month recovery period I'd assume it'd be much closer to the 4 month end, and the fact they went with the interim deal makes me worried that they are assuming the opposite.

Lol wut

Dude is straight edge, not Christian Scientist.  He has no problems with prescription meds.  He did enough antibiotics in WWE to shit his pants.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Lol wut

Dude is straight edge, not Christian Scientist.  He has no problems with prescription meds.  He did enough antibiotics in WWE to shit his pants.

There is an old story about Punk initially refusing pain medication when he cracked his skull early in his career. And I want to say he eventually relented?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Honestly, the way the roster is at AEW, that's probably a good idea. Tony Khan has the roster too stacked. Christian (who should be in the interim champion talks) is dealing with a guy who can't wrestle and a guy who can't talk as tag champions and both will never get any better as wrestlers. Sting (another person hyped up his debut) is nowhere near the AEW World title. Miro isn't talked about for a World title contention.

The problem is Vince McMahon sees Claudio as nothing more than a midcarder despite Claudio's abilities, look, work ethic, and match history. Claudio and Ricochet will forever be floating around US/IC title reigns and I'm not sure Claudio would be considered for a World title reign unless Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, and Randy Orton all retire, Drew McIntyre, Seth Rollins, Cody Rhodes and Bobby Lashley get injured, and any other available choices would get no reaction.

I was watching the 2020 Royal Rumble match the  other day and if there isn't a greater display of how WWE fans view Cesaro vs. how WWE views Cesaro, then I haven't seen it. This one was the one where Lesnar comes in as world champ at #1 and just destroys and eliminates everyone. Lesnar is all alone in the ring having eliminated everyone that comes in (including a re-pushed Erick Rowan with mysterious spider cage, recently re-debuted John Morrison, and a 3 on 1 disadvantage against 2/3 of the New Day and Rey Mysterio) rather easily and Cesaro's music hits and the crowd pops big for him and everyone is expecting a big Cesaro-Lesnar showdown and...he eliminates him in literally 18 seconds. And the crowd just completely turns on the match. Someone should show that part to Cesaro before he re-signs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Didn't know your kid also posted on this board.

He doesn't but when he has spectacularly bad ideas I post them.  He wanted me to remind y'all of the Dean Malenko / Ciclope Spring Stampede surprise.  He thought y'all forgot. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

He doesn't but when he has spectacularly bad ideas I post them.  He wanted me to remind y'all of the Dean Malenko / Ciclope Spring Stampede surprise.  He thought y'all forgot. 

That ruled, I also loved when they did Lenny Lane as Jericho in Juvi's mask

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Out due to injury at a maximum of 2 weeks apparently.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Lol wut

As noted elsewhere, he has a notable story from years back turning down any and all pain meds to deal with a fractured skull. If with age he's decided that's dumb and is all for normal medications now then that'd be legit great news, but if he has I missed hearing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, caley said:

I was watching the 2020 Royal Rumble match the  other day and if there isn't a greater display of how WWE fans view Cesaro vs. how WWE views Cesaro, then I haven't seen it. This one was the one where Lesnar comes in as world champ at #1 and just destroys and eliminates everyone. Lesnar is all alone in the ring having eliminated everyone that comes in (including a re-pushed Erick Rowan with mysterious spider cage, recently re-debuted John Morrison, and a 3 on 1 disadvantage against 2/3 of the New Day and Rey Mysterio) rather easily and Cesaro's music hits and the crowd pops big for him and everyone is expecting a big Cesaro-Lesnar showdown and...he eliminates him in literally 18 seconds. And the crowd just completely turns on the match. Someone should show that part to Cesaro before he re-signs.

Yeah seriously fuck Vince McMahon for that. Brock probably had a temper tantrum if he didn't get to do that, the big baby.

• Sad 2

It's funny seeing people complain that the AEW rankings are sometimes random and not reflective of who is actually best.  I guess you all aren't college football fans?  Maybe Mox is just Notre Dame getting ranked higher on name value alone?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

TK replying to randos on twitter to defend his favorite wrestling show makes him the most relatable billionaire ever.

After the format has been clarified, I think Mox vs. Tana is the most likely route, but pointless speculation is more fun, so here are my dark horse winners:

1. Danielson: Not really a dark horse, because I think most people see him as a reasonable possibility. Still, he hasn't exactly been on the title path since his loss to Hangman. If he's healthy enough, now is a great time to squeeze in a run for him, and Punk vs. Bryan is an obvious ppv main event if you can get there.

2. Miro - They obviously have something lined up for him because he's been doing nothing (on AEW tv) for months. Still, whatever that plan is hasn't started yet, so there's time to change course and they clearly see him as a major player. Building up a monster heel for the babyface champ to overcome is tried and true wrestling booking.

3. Malakai: He's been insanely protected, has a cool stable, and all the monster heel booking stuff with Miro applies to him as well. While he's more likely to be the face of the trios division when that kicks off, there might be time for a singles run here, and he definitely has the chops to pull it off.

4. Jay White: I think I remember reading he's done with Impact, and if you want more NJ crossover, he's your guy. Obviously his American drawing power would be suspect, but everything else fits.

• Like 2