DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

That made me wonder if there was a legit HOOK fig out yet and not quite. Can't even preorder it yet but it looks pretty good. Then I saw there's a new Bret Hart elite and man, the screw job couldn't have been that long ago because they still hate that man. Not a single half-decent Bret figure to this day. How is it that hard? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, porksweats said:

In other words a guy who has not earned a title shot or a No. 1 spot in the rankings. 

That made me wonder if there was a legit HOOK fig out yet and not quite. Can't even preorder it yet but it looks pretty good. Then I saw there's a new Bret Hart elite and man, the screw job couldn't have been that long ago because they still hate that man. Not a single half-decent Bret figure to this day. How is it that hard? 

Just fair warning, I think that figure is a third party unofficial release.

Edited by TheVileOne

Of all the interim title talk one thought keeps popping up in the back of my head: it seems foolish to expect Punk to be back fast, whatever fast relative to the injury actually is. He is a not particularly athletic 43 year old who will not take any sort of medication, including useful coming off surgery anti-inflammatories as mild as motrin. If it is for example a typical 2-4 month recovery period I'd assume it'd be much closer to the 4 month end, and the fact they went with the interim deal makes me worried that they are assuming the opposite.

• Like 1

Putting the belt on Tanahashi reminds me of when ROH put the world title on Morishima. There were a lot of mixed feelings on it at the time and how good an idea it was is something pretty open to opinion as ROH was at its peak at the time regardless.

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m just glad the three of us became better friends through all of this.

The real Interim Champions are the friends we made along the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, username said:

Of all the interim title talk one thought keeps popping up in the back of my head: it seems foolish to expect Punk to be back fast, whatever fast relative to the injury actually is. He is a not particularly athletic 43 year old who will not take any sort of medication, including useful coming off surgery anti-inflammatories as mild as motrin. If it is for example a typical 2-4 month recovery period I'd assume it'd be much closer to the 4 month end, and the fact they went with the interim deal makes me worried that they are assuming the opposite.

Is that even true? As far as I know, medication is still "allowed" if someone is straight edge, as long as its prescribed and not abused. I mean anyone getting surgery is going to get some drugs. It is a well known story he took z paks, which are an antibiotic. The "getting older" part is valid of course, youngin' do tend to recover quicker.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Putting the belt on Tanahashi reminds me of when ROH put the world title on Morishima. There were a lot of mixed feelings on it at the time and how good an idea it was is something pretty open to opinion as ROH was at its peak at the time regardless.

I loved the Morishima run. The Danielson match is among my all time favorites. He was also champ for my only live ROH show, against Austin Aries. I do remember on the ROH message board it was very 50/50. I’m all in favor of a shocking Tanahashi run if the logistics works out for him to be in the states. Maybe a trade where Danielson is in the G1. 

Really, however it is, I will likely enjoy it. I’ve meh’ed a few things recently but ultimately I’ve still really enjoyed the product and find it engaging.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

Miro could have a House of Pain style run but only if they really have him mow through guys that are names. They’d have to commit to differentiate it from him TNT run.

Did you mean Hall of Pain or just want to see him getting "Out of His Seat and Jump Around"?

Edited by Shartnado
THAT House of Pain or...?
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

This was such a good title run, he had amazing matches against Danielson, Cesaro, Albright, Shingo and Nigel. I watched them son DVD so much back in the day.

2004 - 2008 ROH was such an amazing run.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

Didn't Punk refuse to take any pain medication when he was recovering from his fractured skull?

I mean, he was a much younger man at the time, but still.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raziel said:

Tanahashi is not winning.  He wasn't going to beat Punk, he's not winning the Interim belt.  There's enough of a narrative now about Day 1 people getting passes by, what the hell is the narrative gonna be if you strap someone from a different company?

Tanahashi seems like the logical choice to me for the guy to win the interim strap.  He wins it at forbidden door, maybe does a token title defense at the Blood and Guts show three days later, definitely does one in Charlotte during the NJPW USA show, and possibly something in New Japan proper in August. Punk vs. Tanahashi for the undisputed title main events All Out.

Tanahashi missing the G1 would actually make sense in some ways. Apart from the fact he could probably do with a comparitive rest, he's no longer at the point where he's a viable winner of the whole thing. Giving him a run with the interim title and a proper build to a match with Punk could suit all parties. The G1 needs fresh entrants, hopefully with a similar makeup to BOTSJ (Brody King, Karl Fredericks, Alex Coughlin, Bryan Danielson, T Hawk, Josh Alexander would be a good batch to bring in, and not too politically unfeasible). We've all seen the superstar reaction Minoru Suzuki gets when he goes outside Japan, give Tanahashi some of that with a sort of title reign in AEW, it'll do more to cement his legacy than going 5-4 in a G1.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, username said:

the fact they went with the interim deal makes me worried that they are assuming the opposite.

i mentioned a week or two back that i was a bit of a mark for title histories....

one of my first thoughts when the injury announcement happened was "the AEW title is gonna be vacated already? that sucks, they were just building their lineage". i believe Coach Tony thinks along the same lines. He's not necessarily worried about WHEN Punk returns, just that the title lineage is intact and there's not any gaps.

• Like 2

Tana is still one of New Japan’s biggest money draws. I think it’s highly unlikely they’re going to head out on one of their biggest money tours without him there to headline the nights Okada or Naito aren’t on top. Especially if Ibushi’s status remains as it is. He probably doesn’t want to miss out on that money either.

As far as his health goes, he and the other heavyweights were given the past month off during the BOSJ, specifically so they could rest up for the summer tours. Moreover, G1 participation is a shoot big deal in the company’s culture. Once you’re in, you’re in, until you become irrelevant or over the hill. It’s not a good sign if you’re healthy and the company thinks it doesn’t need you for it. They unceremoniously dropped Suzuki the last year before the pandemic, and there were some sore feelings about that. I don’t think New Japan nor Tana want to be sending that message about his career right now.

• Like 1

They could always pull a Baba NWA switch and make it a one-night thing. Only unlike back then, of course everyone will know about it. Still -- lineage! 

As I mentioned before I'm fine having the title on ice (in other words, not defended on weekly TV) so him taking it to Japan would be A-OK by me. 

11 hours ago, Octopus said:

I loved the Morishima run. The Danielson match is among my all time favorites. He was also champ for my only live ROH show, against Austin Aries. I do remember on the ROH message board it was very 50/50. I’m all in favor of a shocking Tanahashi run if the logistics works out for him to be in the states. Maybe a trade where Danielson is in the G1. 

Really, however it is, I will likely enjoy it. I’ve meh’ed a few things recently but ultimately I’ve still really enjoyed the product and find it engaging.

The match he had with Danielson at the Manhattan Center in 2007 is literally the only WON MOTY winner I saw live. Also think the scenario you proposed with Tanahashi staying as champ for a few months in exchange for Danielson doing G1 (which everyone knows he badly wants) makes a lot of sense. 

55 minutes ago, EVA said:

Tana is still one of New Japan’s biggest money draws. I think it’s highly unlikely they’re going to head out on one of their biggest money tours without him there to headline the nights Okada or Naito aren’t on top. Especially if Ibushi’s status remains as it is. He probably doesn’t want to miss out on that money either.

Trade him for Moxley or Danielson for a month?

You don’t want to mess up the impending Kingston/Danielson feud if they’re doing that though.

• Like 1

That’s the other tricky part of this. Mox and/or Dragon were probably heading over for the G1 anyway, but now that they’re down Punk, it might be harder for AEW to let those guys go for a month. And frankly Tana for either of those guys wouldn’t be a fair trade for AEW’s business.