DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Tanahashi is not winning.  He wasn't going to beat Punk, he's not winning the Interim belt.  There's enough of a narrative now about Day 1 people getting passes by, what the hell is the narrative gonna be if you strap someone from a different company?

OMG THE TITLE LINEAGE HAS HIROSHI TANAHASHI IN IT! ?✨?✨?✨

1 minute ago, Stefanie the Human said:

OMG THE TITLE LINEAGE HAS HIROSHI TANAHASHI IN IT! ?✨?✨?✨

It seems on the surface like it might be silly since he's gonna be in the G1 and it sorta defeats the purpose of having an interim champion, but I just listened to a snippet on WOR where Dave speculated that the interim champion thing is being done because the lineage is important to TK. Could totally see it happening for exactly this reason, in all seriousness.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It would be cool if they go the "surprise" route but there are still only a handful of options. Since the match will likely be the main event of a $50 PPV, its not going to be Hobbs, Starks, Brody, etc. as those guys would be better B Level Dynamite challengers rather than main eventing a PPV. Not in regards to in-ring skill or overall ability, there just isn't enough time in three weeks to build them up to that level for the fans to take them seriously as a title threat and main event draw.

So it pretty much has to be between Mox, Danielson, Kingston, Cole, or Jericho. Mox is the most obvious especially since they are making it obvious, but Danielson or Cole would also work within the AEW Universe. Kingston or Jericho would be interesting and the crowd would buy it, but less likely.

Just for my own edification: why is adam Cole listed with this group of legitimate stars?

• Like 2

My gut reaction would say they think he's back by All Out otherwise he'd have relinquished the title. Does that make sense to anybody else or just me?

Hopefully Punk is more aware of his physical limitations upon his return and stays within them.

• Like 2

Think about what putting the title on Tanahashi could mean for the dichotomy of AEW. Not only do they openly acknowledge other promotions, but they welcome that top tier talent to compete for their World title. That's a TRUE World championship in every definition of the wotd. A win by Tanahashi establishes that there is other world class wrestlers out there on the same level as AEW - while bolstering your belts lineage and the bonus of anything can truly happen.

"I want the belt held by the best. Jericho, Moxley, Omega, Tanahashi, Punk, Hangman..." it does add to that credibility and prestige in my opinion.

Edit - Maybe if Tana won the belt, NJPW would consider replacing him with an AEW guy in the G1? Danielson? MJF as punishment for his "I don't watch New Japan" line? Could do so much fun stuff in NJPW is willing to play along (I'd hope since AEW would be putting their World title on a New Japan talent)

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Just for my own edification: why is adam Cole listed with this group of legitimate stars?

I guess I’m confused by your use of “legitimate.” You can say Cole is trash or not your style of worker, but within the AEW Universe (which is the term @Kevin Wilson used) Cole has had previous title shots and won a recent tournament. In the world that has been created, he is a contender. Opinions on him aside, of course. But I feel that’s what is meant by the post you quoted.

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I guess I’m confused by your use of “legitimate.” You can say Cole is trash or not your style of worker, but within the AEW Universe (which is the term @Kevin Wilson used) Cole has had previous title shots and won a recent tournament. In the world that has been created, he is a contender. Opinions on him aside, of course. But I feel that’s what is meant by the post you quoted.

Look, it’s a galaxy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Octopus said:

The issue is that television ratings while he’s on the air don’t support the idea that he’s a big deal. At his current job or at his last one. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

The issue is that television ratings while he’s on the air don’t support the idea that he’s a big deal. At his current job or at his last one. 

Thanks, I understand your post better now.

When I suggested Tanahashi.  I said so in complete ignorance to his upcoming G1 schedule.  

That being said, he is still my favorite choice.  Not so much a prediction.  

Tanahashi is in my eyes the Japanese wrestler who most got over a generally American style of wrestling outside of America.  I’d like to see him do that under a big spotlight stateside.  

NJPW probably won’t have too much of a problem changing some plans to accommodate unforseen injuries.  When it comes to winning the AEW title.  It raises Tanahashi’s credit limit on a career that at least in Japan… has “been there done that” for a long time.  

Plus the matches will be bangers.

Thankfully, TK is as much of a “fucking mark” to want to do it.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 1

G1 is definitely a consideration here, but hear me out...

Before this press release came out, Tanahashi wasn't booked on Dominion. I looked at the lineup specifically for him. It feels like he is at that current John Cena level for New Japan. Where he is absolutely a legend. But maybe they just don't have any interesting ideas for him. Is it that crazy that a performer that's had some injury issues and may not be Teflon anymore might be granted a pass on this year's G1? New Japan would lose as a tournament entrant this year, but they would gain some miles back on his body if he only does like 3 or 4 AEW matches over that same time span.

I am not a NJPW expert, so maybe that's just pure craziness. You guys tell me. But I don't think it sounds out of the realm of possibility that New Japan would trade Tanahashi's participation in this year's G1 for him beating an AEW guy on the joint PPV to become their champion in the main event and strengthen their name on US TV via Tanahashi getting a run as interim champion in a national promotion in the United States.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Yea my theory was regardless of anything else, TK is high on him. He just won the Hart Cup, he has only been pinned I think a handful of times if that, and he is regularly featured on both their TV shows. I don't think he will win, but I believe in TK's mind he is on that level to be a potential winner and be seen as a "legitimate" challenger. People that don't like him will point out reasons why he isn't on that level, and some points are valid, but the guy doing the booking just had him win a tournament six days ago so he must still think he has top star appeal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

He has 7 wins in single competition and is undefeated. He's at the top of the rankings Vile.

So does the cold hearted handsome devil. Undefeated and 7-0 in 2022.

maxresdefault.jpg

As for Moxley, he was ranked No. 4 yesterday. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So does the cold hearted handsome devil. Undefeated and 7-0 in 2022.

maxresdefault.jpg

As for Moxley, he was ranked No. 4 yesterday. 

Edited by porksweats
adding second tweet

That made me wonder if there was a legit HOOK fig out yet and not quite. Can't even preorder it yet but it looks pretty good. Then I saw there's a new Bret Hart elite and man, the screw job couldn't have been that long ago because they still hate that man. Not a single half-decent Bret figure to this day. How is it that hard? 

• Like 1