DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

A little more complicated than it needs to be, but at least there's logic to it.

Mox is the current AEW #1 contender (for the AEW Title). He has to beat someone to qualify.
Tanahashi is the NJPW #1 contender (for the AEW Title). He has to beat Goto to qualify.

To me this is the time to do something surprising. You have someone unexpected win the battle royal & beat Mox. New Japan wants to save that Mox vs Tanahashi match I would assume. So give us a surprise match we didn't expect. Give me Takeshita vs Tanahashi!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Do it for the "nobody knows who he is" takes alone. 

51 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

To me this is the time to do something surprising. You have someone unexpected win the battle royal & beat Mox. New Japan wants to save that Mox vs Tanahashi match I would assume. So give us a surprise match we didn't expect. Give me Takeshita vs Tanahashi!

And put the belt on Takeshita. For the above stated reason. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A little more complicated than it needs to be, but at least there's logic to it.

Mox is the current AEW #1 contender (for the AEW Title). He has to beat someone to qualify.
Tanahashi is the NJPW #1 contender (for the AEW Title). He has to beat Goto to qualify.

It would be cool if they go the "surprise" route but there are still only a handful of options. Since the match will likely be the main event of a $50 PPV, its not going to be Hobbs, Starks, Brody, etc. as those guys would be better B Level Dynamite challengers rather than main eventing a PPV. Not in regards to in-ring skill or overall ability, there just isn't enough time in three weeks to build them up to that level for the fans to take them seriously as a title threat and main event draw.

So it pretty much has to be between Mox, Danielson, Kingston, Cole, or Jericho. Mox is the most obvious especially since they are making it obvious, but Danielson or Cole would also work within the AEW Universe. Kingston or Jericho would be interesting and the crowd would buy it, but less likely.

• Like 2

It can't really be Jericho, because he's already faced Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom, and offering a rematch as the main of your big crossover dream match fest would suck. I also don't see how it can be a heel, as the psychology of them surviving a battle royale and then going up against a fresh Moxley would be off, although that could work if Cole (sorry!) sleazed his way to a cheap win where his guys do most of the work.

Everything points to Tanahashi vs Moxley, which is probably the best realistic option, but this whole thing is a mess. Interim titles might be how the UFC does it, but it's fucking awful there too.

I don't want someone like Eddie or Darby to get their first big title win for a shitty asterisk interim belt, but having someone along those lines make it to the eliminator vs Mox and then fall heroically short probably makes sense to plant breadcrumbs for their eventual proper title wins. Would love to see Starks win the battle royale, even if it only really works if they're building to a face turn.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It would be cool if they go the "surprise" route but there are still only a handful of options. Since the match will likely be the main event of a $50 PPV, its not going to be Hobbs, Starks, Brody, etc. as those guys would be better B Level Dynamite challengers rather than main eventing a PPV. Not in regards to in-ring skill or overall ability, there just isn't enough time in three weeks to build them up to that level for the fans to take them seriously as a title threat and main event draw.

So it pretty much has to be between Mox, Danielson, Kingston, Cole, or Jericho. Mox is the most obvious especially since they are making it obvious, but Danielson or Cole would also work within the AEW Universe. Kingston or Jericho would be interesting and the crowd would buy it, but less likely.

Yeah I agree with your logic here. I just can't wrap my head around how complicated they made it for it to just end up being Mox vs Tanahashi. Like if that's the match you're going with why not just say the number one contender will face the PPV challenger that's already signed on for the match? So much less complicated.

And I also agree with and understand why it can't be Takeshita vs Tanahashi. But a man can dream.

They will probably go the least interesting route and not even tease someone new-ish here. Danielson wins the Battle Royal. Danielson vs Moxley in a babyface we love each other but we're going to murder each other match. Which will probably produce a hell of a match. So you can't really argue it. But it's just the kind of plain story option.

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They pushed he's working David Finley, even after they announced the battle royal last night. Will he wrestle three matches?

History knows a few instances where one person had three matches in one special night. He could even lose to Finley and then bounce back by winning the Battle Royale and besting Mox in the end. I mean, there are several other options they could go with, but I can see that being among the discussion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

History knows a few instances where one person had three matches in one special night. He could even lose to Finley and then bounce back by winning the Battle Royale and besting Mox in the end. I mean, there are several other options they could go with, but I can see that being among the discussion.

Hanger doing three matches in one night shortly after losing the world title, while the champ; a much bigger star from the previous decade, takes time off, sounds like the kind of masturbatory Bret Hart tribute that he cut a promo against in the Punk build up. I love it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think it's Hangman. And turn him heel. He has all the reason in the world to be pissed. And then have him murder Punk when he comes back.

"I made the biggest mistake of my career at Double or Nothing. I'll never make the same mistake again."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Battle royal opens the show. They've already announced that. So if Hangman were to win (which is plausible if he's in it) I would assume they say well he's not going to wrestle Finlay now and slide someone else into that one. Ya know the eliminator is more important than a one off match, wants to be at full strength.

But I will go out on a limb and say they will inexplicably leave Hangman out of the battle royal. Kayfabe wise it wouldn't make a lick of sense. But real world wise they probably want to distance him from the title and move him onto whatever was already planned for him. Originally him v Okada was reported, but that was then refuted (possibly just because it spoils NJPW Dominion, could still be legit). So we'll see how it all shakes out. But my money is on Hanger not being involved in the battle royal at all.

Hangman wouldn’t be the worst case scenario by any means, but I just hope anyone not named MJF and Adam Cole wins honestly. In a perfect world though, there are a lot of young talents that could really use the rub of a match with Moxley with serious stakes. Cases I’d throw out there.

Eddie Kingston: this one is kind of obvious, but boy would I love it. King remains over as all fuck and beloved, and while I don’t think now is the time, planting the seed of him back in the title picture would be great.

Darby Allin: Long history with Mox, has basically been “guy who loses big matches” for a while, him getting to the final would be awesome.

Miro: Fucking hell this would be great. Miro brutalizing the field would work wonders imo.

and a couple of real dark horses

Ricky Starks: IMO, he’s clearly ready for a tea shot at the upper card. Him getting his chance to go for the belt would be a cool story.

Wheeler Yuta: Just off BOSJ, Yuta scoring the big win to get the opportunity for one more match with his mentor after there last fucking war would be awesome.

• Like 2

So I was thinking today, what's the likelihood that Tanahashi wins the belt at Forbidden Door and holds it before a title unification match at All Out in Chicago with Punk? Toss some more goodwill towards NJPW while strengthening the lineage of the AEW World Title, but only at the expense of an "interm" title in the process. My dream scenario would be Kingston winning the battle royal and holding the title til All Out, but since Punk will be the champ, and it'll be in Chicago - there's no way you book Eddie in that spot. 

• Like 3

I dismissed the idea of Kingston winning but more thought I give it the more I like it. We know Kingston is at heart the most genuine guy in a shady, disingenuous business (fake wife notwithstanding). He will not be satisfied with having an asterisk beside his name as champion. I could see him even refusing to carry the belt with him, acknowledging that there's only one real title and he hasn't won shit. Then Punk returns and beats him, lol. Adds to the Kingston pent up frustration and catharsis when he wins the real deal later on. Let's go.

Or Miro.

Mox would be a tired choice. Page would be fine. Cole in the main event of the PPV = no buy. I reckon he'll be the penultimate guy in the battle royal. 

Why hasn't Claudio debuted yet, damn it? I would love to see him tear it up with Zack at FD.

Edited by Jiji

I really like the idea of a newly refocused, maybe even heel Hangman taking it, but I'd also be a million percent down for trying to make a new star with a left field pick (I love @Stefanie the Human suggestion to go with Hobbs, I co-sign the shit outta that). Miro would be a nice choice, too, to keep his momentum up from the big return. Mox had a really fantastic first reign, but I tend to agree with @NoFistsJustFlipsw/ regard to not changing plans for those already occupied in other angles

• Like 1

Am I missing something with the Tana winning talk? He's going to be in the G1, right? So what's the point of crowning him as interim champ if he'll be away most of the time Punk's out? Not to mention that man will likely be held together by KT tape and whatever sinew remains by the end of the tournament. 

• Like 2

Tanahashi is not winning.  He wasn't going to beat Punk, he's not winning the Interim belt.  There's enough of a narrative now about Day 1 people getting passes by, what the hell is the narrative gonna be if you strap someone from a different company?

• Sad 1