DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada, Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi and Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr are dream matches to me. I may even give that up if Danielson wins the AEW World Championship. If he doesn't and we lose out on those, I'll be mega pissed.

So the winner of the Battle Royal faces Moxley at Forbidden Door?

Tanahashi would be fun. And it'd help build him up for the match with people who might not have seen him before.

Danielson v Mox, with Regal on commentary. Interesting. Would it cause BCC issues to have one of them as World Champ?

It's too soon for Wardlow.

Why not go turbo charged with Miro and give him the strap? Just make him your invincible ace until Wardlow is ready or Punk is healthy.

24 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Honestly, they should have Hangman Page be the interim champion. I really feel there's a lot of unfinished business for him as a champion. He could defend against Adam Cole again, Ricky Starks, Powerhouse Hobbs, Eddie Kingston, Chris Jericho, Moxley, Keith Lee, Jake Hager (guy has been there for 2+ years and he's never sniffed a World title match?), Miro, Dustin Rhodes, Samoa Joe (not sure how well he would do), even Sammy Guevara, Lee Moriarty and Daniel Garcia (although Garcia would probably not do well due to his being undersized).

I would hold off on Wardlow until either Punk comes back or Page/whoever the interim champion is becomes the permanent champion. Wardlow really isn't ready and needs another feud to establish himself and be more than "Batista in 2022."

Notice I didn't say MJF because I would hope AEW isn't going to go that route of doing something that obvious (I honestly have no desire to see MJF on TV again and/or in endless promo wars with CM Punk when Punk returns). That ship not only sailed, it sank.

FYI Hager got a title match with Moxley in 2020, empty arena no DQ match at Daily's Place in the first set of pandemic taping shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

they should have Hangman Page be the interim champion. I really feel there's a lot of unfinished business for him as a champion. He could defend against Adam Cole again

.....what? your first choice is someone that Hangman beat cleanly twice? 

i mean, i can agree with the "unfinished business" part, but that 100% does not include Cole. that door is closed. 

• Like 3

Instead of the Interim AEW World Championship BS, do what wrestling has done for years, vacate the AEW World Championship and stick it on the top guy - Bryan Danielson. The guy who never lost the belt then challenges for it when he's recovered from injury. Simples.

So it looks like Miro came back at an exactly right and MJF "left" at an exactly wrong time, as suddenly there's a huge opportunity for so many guys here! Just like @Sammo~! pointed out, even with Punk out, there are still several completely feasible options to choose from. And if you ask a few people for a top 5 of suitable replacements, you're going to end up with way more than 5 totally acceptable answers. That's a deep F'n roster!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So the winner of the Battle Royal faces Moxley at Forbidden Door?

Tanahashi would be fun. And it'd help build him up for the match with people who might not have seen him before.

Danielson v Mox, with Regal on commentary. Interesting. Would it cause BCC issues to have one of them as World Champ?

It's too soon for Wardlow.

Why not go turbo charged with Miro and give him the strap? Just make him your invincible ace until Wardlow is ready or Punk is healthy.

The winner of the Battle Royal faces Mox in the main event on Wednesday. The winner of that match faces Tanahashi for the interim AEW title at Forbidden Door.

• Thanks 2

Tanahashi winning would be fun, but he’s presumably heading back to Japan for the G1 July through August, so that doesn’t really help to solve the problem of not having your world champ around.

I don't necessary want to see Sammy/Tay vs anyone, certainly not Cole/Britt, but looking at actual couples in AEW... if they're still together, they should do a Sammy/Tay vs Dante Martin/Syke Blue feud.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I hope the interim belt looks different.

Wishful thinking. The other times they've done interim titles it's just been the same design (TNT Title & ROH Women's Title).

As I said in the Rampage thread to me it's pretty much a lock Tanahashi wins the interim title at the PPV tho.

You make New Japan happy by giving them a big win over an AEW guy at the joint show. You make the fans happy seeing a top tier New Japan guy more often. You still get the Punk vs Tanahashi match when Punk is cleared. It's win-win-win. It's definitely a weird structure to get there tho. I figure if you were gonna run Mox vs Tanahashi... just announce that match. Why the song & dance? They may have Mox penciled in for something already and the battle royal is the way to throw in someone random without messing with the rankings too much.

I'm basing my thoughts on how I think TK's mind works. He's incredibly detail oriented. He has things planned out well in advance. I think he already has something booked out for The Elite guys. And that he won't want to scrap whatever that is for Cole to be interim champion. That's also why I don't think it'll be Mox or Danielson  Jericho for that matter. He has Blood & Guts and probably the next story already mapped out for all of them. I also assume he has a Hangman story in mind as well.

So based on that, I just think it has to be someone who he doesn't have a story in mind for already.

38 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Wishful thinking. The other times they've done interim titles it's just been the same design (TNT Title & ROH Women's Title).

As I said in the Rampage thread to me it's pretty much a lock Tanahashi wins the interim title at the PPV tho.

You make New Japan happy by giving them a big win over an AEW guy at the joint show. You make the fans happy seeing a top tier New Japan guy more often. You still get the Punk vs Tanahashi match when Punk is cleared. It's win-win-win. It's definitely a weird structure to get there tho. I figure if you were gonna run Mox vs Tanahashi... just announce that match. Why the song & dance? They may have Mox penciled in for something already and the battle royal is the way to throw in someone random without messing with the rankings too much.

The interim TNT belt had slight differences.

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Let Goto win, face against Mox or Miro (my pick for the Royale Winner).

Put Tanahashi against someone else on the Forbidden Door.

Now Goto can choke the big one in TWO promotions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I’ll push Darby one more time as the pick. He doesn’t have a story going on so you aren’t interrupting anything, he’s an awesome champion, he and Mox have history, he has crossover appeal and is maybe their top home grown guy (he or MJF), and there’s a built in story if Punk comes back at All Out in Chicago.

• Like 3

I am a lot more interested in Forbidden Door now. I've gone out of my way to avoid the NJPW 2010s boom because the house style annoys me, so I was all but ready to just give the thing a pass. Now at least there are stakes.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don't necessary want to see Sammy/Tay vs anyone, certainly not Cole/Britt, but looking at actual couples in AEW... if they're still together, they should do a Sammy/Tay vs Dante Martin/Syke Blue feud.

FUY0FlcUEAEHjg0?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I am a lot more interested in Forbidden Door now. I've gone out of my way to avoid the NJPW 2010s boom because the house style annoys me, so I was all but ready to just give the thing a pass. Now at least there are stakes.

If you want some recommendations, let me know. I would like to give you this one as I think it's one you'll like (hope you do): Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki from NJPW Dominion 2012. Gave it ***** and it was my MOTY.

Edited by The Natural