DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

Sean Ross Sapp said MJF’s camp realizes they can’t ask for more money and not sign an extension, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I believe he also said MJF has already been given a bump in pay from his original 2019 amount. Or one of the dirt sheets said that, anyway.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

I believe he also said MJF has already been given a bump in pay from his original 2019 amount. Or one of the dirt sheets said that, anyway.

He did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Re: the giant roster: 

Keep in mind that aside from just having too many people of their own, they're also about to embark on an interpromotional feud where we're likely going to have to see a lot of their best names job to sub-Cole-level New Japan "generational talent" like Jay White and Ospreay.  

7 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

I don't even think Cole is that bad, but calling White and Ospreay 'sub Cole' seems a bit deranged to me.

7 hours ago, Log said:

I could take or leave Osprey, but White is really fucking good. 

I'm no Adam Cole fan at all, ditto Will Ospreay. Jay White's really good though.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Speaking of themes, last night it hit me just how great Miro's theme is. Those horns going off at the beginning signaling that someone is about to die is just awesome. We all know this, but I'll be damned if theme songs isn't one of AEW's strongest areas. You have a mixed bag of some incredible licensed songs, coupled with nice tweaks of some classics like Sting and FTR, then with the cavalcade of original songs that Mikey Ruckus and company come up with. When I was younger, I loved listening to the wrestling themes, but as an adult now, I feel like I can put a lot of these on and just jam to them cause they're quality.

• Like 19

After that promo on Dynamite, I feel pretty confident that MJF's contract issues are all worked out, and he has big program or story arc lined up after he takes a little break.

On the topic of themes, I've taken a liking to Thunder Rosa's faux-Chicano-metalcore sounding theme. They should commission Upon a Burning Body for a special entrance at a big Texas show.

• Like 3

I'm a little disappointed Athena's a babyface if only because I really liked her heel performance in Texas vs Thunder Rosa (maybe more than anytime I've seen her over the last five or six years), but I also haven't seen her as a babyface with the WWE chains off, so we'll see how Friday goes.

40 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

Because the thing AEW needs more then anything else is more titles

The prototype belt closet is bursting at the seams, they've got to put some of them on TV to make room for more new belts. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 2

Women’s tag titles in a company that only runs two women’s matches per week on tv between Dynamite and Rampage seems pretty fucking dumb.

Trios titles are long overdue though.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

WCW didn't really do much with their trios division... I seem to remember Dustin having it at one point, but I couldn't tell you who he teamed with - was it Barry and Pillman?

Dustin, Ricky Morton and Big Josh

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Because the thing AEW needs more then anything else is more titles

Agreed. I can’t wait for the Discovery-Warnermedia Merger Championship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

WCW didn't really do much with their trios division... I seem to remember Dustin having it at one point, but I couldn't tell you who he teamed with - was it Barry and Pillman?

Wasn't Tom Zenk in one of the short-lived championship teams, as well? The last title he ended up holding in WCW (or anywhere, I guess)? I forget his partners, but maybe JYD and Dustin? Ricky Morton? Tommy Rich? No, the last two did hold them as heels, I think? Very random, regardless. I liked the idea of it, a lot, but haven't seen much of that material.