DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

HA! I would have assumed Dolfan would have reopened the old thread long after I went to bed.

Anyway - might as well just start the June thread now.

• Like 1

Unless Omega's just about ready to come back and they can do Elite vs Elite after the NJPW PPV, then it's definitely time to turn Cole face. No one's been more exposed in the company over the last nine months. The fans want to cheer him anyway. He's just too nice a guy IRL. Visually, he should be working from underneath and garnering sympathy. The babyface run in NXT wasn't a very long or very clear one with crowds present so it would be fresh. I get that he prefers to be a heel because everyone not living in 1985 when you make a ton of money at the merch table selling photos would rather be a heel, but he's more valuable to the company as a face. Do a program with Starks to give Starks some rub. Do the Sammy feud. Etc.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Unless Omega's just about ready to come back and they can do Elite vs Elite after the NJPW PPV, then it's definitely time to turn Cole face. No one's been more exposed in the company over the last nine months. The fans want to cheer him anyway. He's just too nice a guy IRL. Visually, he should be working from underneath and garnering sympathy. The babyface run in NXT wasn't a very long or very clear one with crowds present so it would be fresh. I get that he prefers to be a heel because everyone not living in 1985 when you make a ton of money at the merch table selling photos would rather be a heel, but he's more valuable to the company as a face. Do a program with Starks to give Starks some rub. Do the Sammy feud. Etc.

The inevitable Sammy/Tay vs Baker/Britt feud would be a lot better if Baker/Britt went full face on it

While I'm mentioning things that have to happen...

Garcia used the shining wizard on Kingston during Anarchy in the Arena. He needs to say Jericho taught it to him and switch out the Sharpshooter for the 90s style kneeling (or at lest half stepped through) Liontamer.

• Like 2

Right, so Scorpio Sky’s TNT title is very much an LA Lakers/ Kobe Bryant belt, TNT is an NBA network, and AEW’s next show is in the Staples centre. I reckon Kobe’s wife is going to be presented with a replica belt on Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Right, so Scorpio Sky’s TNT title is very much an LA Lakers/ Kobe Bryant belt, TNT is an NBA network, and AEW’s next show is in the Staples centre. I reckon Kobe’s wife is going to be presented with a replica belt on Wednesday.

It definitely would make good with the Warner Bro/Discovery network guys too

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Garcia used the shining wizard on Kingston during Anarchy in the Arena.

Hey, somebody else noticed it! That was one of those "blink and you miss it" moments between camera switches that made everything feel even more chaotic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I have a hard time picturing it because I’ve seen Cole being a heel for pretty much an entire decade now but it would be refreshing.

The internet has exposed him as the nicest of guys and I wonder how that would translate to his character. Would people not cheer him as much because he loses his “coolness” or are we in the woke era where being a good person is actually cool?

Edited by eikerir

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Tony Khan is one of us ?

While watching this, I started wondering who should plan Tony in the inevitable WWE documentary on the war with AEW (coming soon in 2046 or thereabouts).

Frankly, TK reminds me of a muppet.  Which muppets have giant eyebrows and a mop of hair?  My first choice would be Animal, but I've never seen him in a dramatic role.

TK does seem almost as hyperactive as Animal, so that's a plus.

3 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

While watching this, I started wondering who should plan Tony in the inevitable WWE documentary on the war with AEW (coming soon in 2046 or thereabouts).

Frankly, TK reminds me of a muppet.  Which muppets have giant eyebrows and a mop of hair?  My first choice would be Animal, but I've never seen him in a dramatic role.

TK does seem almost as hyperactive as Animal, so that's a plus.

Hey, he's Scooter.

Scooter (Muppet) - Wikipedia

That note pad has scratched out Cody opponents from November 2021.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's a problem in that his wife is a total dick and I don't think they can turn her at all. 

Not only is Britt the biggest heel in the women's side of the roster,  they've already foreshadowed the breakup of The Elite and Omega/Bucks side are going to be the babyfaces.  Those are the AEW originals and they should be the heroes in that eventual feud. Cole is at a point where he is ready for a turn,  but there are too many threads dangling for him to turn quite yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, supremebve said:

Not only is Britt the biggest heel in the women's side of the roster,  they've already foreshadowed the breakup of The Elite and Omega/Bucks side are going to be the babyfaces.  Those are the AEW originals and they should be the heroes in that eventual feud. Cole is at a point where he is ready for a turn,  but there are too many threads dangling for him to turn quite yet. 

There's no reason to put O'Reilly over Darby clean as a sheet unless you're going to be doing something with him. Wait, did O'Reilly initially sign a 5 year deal or did he sign a shorter deal and just extend it?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's no reason to put O'Reilly over Darby clean as a sheet unless you're going to be doing something with him. Wait, did O'Reilly initially sign a 5 year deal or did he sign a shorter deal and just extend it?

This does put them all in a weird spot. I feel like the Elite breakup and feud could potentially be a big money angle,  but Cole and O'Reilly are so much ahead of Fish is laughable. Omega and The Young Bucks have been the biggest stars in the company for pretty much the entire run. Cole came in as Omega was leaving and became the group's mouthpiece. O'Reilly has shown himself as someone who can bring it at a pretty high level,  but Fish is just a guy on the roster. I guess you could still do the angle, but they need to figure out how to keep ReDragon feeling like they matter without it feeling like Bobby Fish is holding O'Reilly back. It's going to be difficult,  because O'Reilly is already establishing himself as someone who matters.  They probably need to win the tag straps sooner than later,  but the division is already too full of teams that have no direction when they aren't challenging for the belts. Hopefully Omega comes back soon so they can pull the trigger on the angle,  because I don't know if the angle can tread water without him for much longer. 

• Like 1

I like Fish was more than O'Reilly so far, at least as a gatekeeper/assassin type. But I've seen more matches of his so far too. Out of the three Cole is the weenie of the group (and just seems a weenie in general). Even though I'm no big fan of Omega or the Bucks this seems pretty no contest. 

I have no strong feelings about O'Reilly though I definitely didn't buy his finish sequence as something that would put Darby down the other night. I remember liking Fish/Danielson a lot. I agree that he comes off a little like a guy who can team with Tony Nese as a gatekeeper tag team which isn't the world's best look on a roster this full.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I like Fish was more than O'Reilly so far, at least as a gatekeeper/assassin type. But I've seen more matches of his so far too. Out of the three Cole is the weenie of the group (and just seems a weenie in general). Even though I'm no big fan of Omega or the Bucks this seems pretty no contest. 

The group is Adam Cole as the cowardly heel and his two friends who enjoy hurting people. Cole is a weenie, but he's also the mastermind. O'Reilly and Fish pretty much only tolerate him because he gives them so many opportunities to use their MMA training in situations that won't get them arrested. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Hopefully Omega comes back soon so they can pull the trigger on the angle,  because I don't know if the angle can tread water without him for much longer. 

Based on the talk that Omega wasn't feeling well enough to travel for DoN, I take it to mean he might be further off than you'd prefer. 

• Like 1

Adam Cole, Evil Uno, Danhausen and Nyla Rose will be on G4's Attack of the Show on Thursday (streaming live on Twitch/YouTube, broadcast the next day I think?)

And no, Xavier Woods won't be there obviously.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

He recently extended. Right before his big match with Fenix. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

So where the heck is Claudio? Unless they’re signing Negro Casas (and he wasn’t one of the guys Tony mentioned to Cubs), he’s basically the final guy they need right now.

He's busy making coffee and playing video games

• Thanks 1