DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

You would think that a man getting power bombed 10 times and squashed in a PPV would be the biggest burial of the night.  But then Ruby Soho happened.  Talk about the grass not always greeener on the other side.  I hope Athena was watching

STOKELY HATHAWAY AND THE BADDIES.  LOVE IT ?

The PPV was great but it was so damn exhausting to go through what felt like 6 hours that a lot of good stuff was damaged by it.  Darby vs Kyle O Reilly was damn good and not sure it got the proper reaction.   Thunder Rosa vs Serena Deeb is definitely top 3 match of the night and same.   At this point maybe a PPV every 2 months isn't a bad thing if it only goes 3 hours.  

RUSH in AEW is very interesting.  Wonder if he will be there full time or just the Forbidden Door

Finally got the Julia Hart turn and done well.   She now looks like Lacey from Age of the Fall with the eye makeup.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I agree and disagree.  This is a pretty loaded tag division full of teams that are better than Jurassic Express, but at a certain point you need to get more teams over to keep the division fresh.  I don't mind their run, because they've had good matches, but I would have been perfectly fine with either of the other teams winning.  The problem is that neither of those teams should be champions right now either.  FTR is the best tag team on the roster.  The Young Bucks, ReDragon, and The Lucha Bros also feel like they should be always be in title contention.  Then you have Santana and Ortiz and 2.0 who seem like they are always lost in the shuffle of somebody else's story when they probably should be competing in tag matches.  It really feels like they just decided to give Jurassic Express a run, but didn't think about how to make us believe in them as one of the top teams.  They keep putting them in these multi-team matches, which are good, but do nothing to make them feel like dominant champions.  They need to feud with either FTR, The Young Bucks, or ReDragon and win the feud...then drop the straps to put the next team over.  

Or, hear me out, feud with FTR and lose and then decide if they want Stricklee Business, Team FTW and the others be legit contenders because those would be good matches, along with Proud and Powerful, Cool Daddy, etc. But no more Lucha Brothers, I’m done with them as much as JE.

Guess I'll be the odd guy to say I don't think the show was too long. 4.5 hours isn't that bad, I've watched longer, and if I am paying $50 for something I am not going to complain about more content. I mean I'm sitting in my living room on a comfy couch sipping coffee, what do I care if a show goes a little long. I can get up and stretch if I need to.

Now two matches didn't need to be there (Kyle/Darby and Jade/Jay) but that is more an issue with the backstory not being built up as I'm just not a fan of PPV matches being added two days before the show. So I would like more "meaning" behind the matches when possible, but the length itself was fine.

• Like 14

Quick thoughts as I lay down to sleep: 

1. Show was too long. 

2. Show was mostly good.

3. I wanted Rosa and Deeb to shock the world by having a classic. They didn't but I still thought they had a legitimately great match, mostly thanks to Deeb and despite some awkward segments when Rosa was in control. 

4. I hate Adam Page even though I accept that he's very athletic. He is a really bad actor though and his big matches are wrapped up in so much convoluted quasi-kayfabe drama/"history" that I almost never enjoy his work because he's called upon to act and emote a lot and he's very hammy at it. Also the Dead Eye looks horrible and the guy's head always lands ten inches from the group. Takao Omori, a far better wrestler than Page, already did this move as the Axe Guillotine Driver and it always looked bad when he did it too. That all said, Ioved the main event, even though repeating the finish of the Bret/Piper WM8 match using the belt instead of the bell felt a little overly homage-ey. 

5. The finish to the Baker/Soho match was overly homage-ey to the Bret/Owen WM 10 finish. It takes me out of the drama of a match when people start orchestrating spots or sequences to mimic those originated by their heroes (in tonight's case, their heroes = Bret, Owen and Piper). For an extremely annoying example of this see the sequence from KENTA/Marufuji vs Misses)Ogawa where KENTA replicates move for move a sequence from the legendary 1995 Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue match, right down to the opponents who are on the receiving end of his offense just happening to exactly replicate the reactions of the opponents on the receiving end of offense in the 1995 match. I'm tired but my point is: replicating "classic" scenarios always comes off overly choreographed and makes no sense as the person getting beat up is presumably complicit in re-enacting the sequence the person beating them up is harkening back to. 

6. Cole vs Joe was lifeless and the finish came out of nowhere. 

7. The mixed six man was a disaster mostly because of the booking/storylines. 

8. I echo that I never want to see House of Black vs Death Triangle again despite them all being great. Just seen it too often. Buddy Matthews desperately needs to get some tattoos or leave the group. 

9. Loved seeing Chioda..

10. Surly JR trolling Draft Kings all night was great. 

11. Ricky Starks is tied for best guy on the roster with Dax, who wasn't booked. 

12. Is the MJF situation resolved more or less?

13. Arena Anarchy was *****. 

14. EDIT: The worst thing of the entire night was the pathetic dork from Fozzy playing Baker to the ring. Jericho going over wasn't enough to appease him (Jericho) i guess? He had to have his corny-ass rock n roll buddy inflicted upon us for no reason too?

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Loved the spectacle of MJF-Wardy. House of Black-Death Triangle was rad even with that questionable finish. Darby-O'Reilly was good, but wasted here and would've served better on TV for a main event or hot opener. I really liked what I saw of the Bucks-Hardys. Death-Jeff rules! I say that under the belief that he's an incredible seller of his lifetime of hard work and actually doing okay. If not, yeah, 'fuck this place'. The Owen finals both kinda lost me, and I felt a bit embarrassed for that badly produced ceremony. Wish I liked it more as it was nice to see Martha. Having your heels need to play nice was an awful visual. Mixed Trios was akin to the spirit of this tired feud. Don't put ppl on PPV that aren't ready. This was a disservice to the potentially great PVZ. Jade match was fine, but unneeded as expected. Athena's debut was a bit silly, and wasted here. Anarchy in the Arena played out wonderfully-loved the finish. Eddie Kingston was the star, but Daniel Garcia was a close second. Lots to look at on a second glance. 2 point Oh boys were ready and prepared to take a nice assbeating. I had to take a much needed break during the Women's Title Match-I hear it was good. I liked what I saw of the three way tag title match, and want a second look. Loved Ricky walking the ropes. Hobbs looked pretty terrific doing everything. I gotta see this again. The fans booing everything in the Main was a distraction so I went low on the volume and killed two birds with one stone cutting off the grating (fill every fucking second with bad explanations and worse opinions) commentary. I dug that match, and even moreso after wiping out the 'bad audio'. Give it a go Punker! I thought I'd heard 'Ruby Soho' a time too many before Ruby even debuted, but Rancid's solid performance was a welcome addition to the broadcast. So too the silly Boys sketch and Roosh-key's debut. I wish I'd stayed true to my earlier aim to watch on tape delay, but a fun evening of pro wrestling nonetheless. But seriously... can we WILL TOGETHER TO GET THESE PPVS DOWN TO A COOL 180 MINUTES (INCLUDING PRE-SHOW)!?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Or, hear me out, feud with FTR and lose and then decide if they want Stricklee Business, Team FTW and the others be legit contenders because those would be good matches, along with Proud and Powerful, Cool Daddy, etc. But no more Lucha Brothers, I’m done with them as much as JE.

I like the Lucha Brothers, but I didn't name them in that final sentence for a reason.  They need to find something for them to do for a bit outside of the House of Black and/or the tag title picture.  They're still putting on really good matches, they just don't feel special in any way any more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I trust the guy who’s consistently the best thing on the show to keep being that. 

also suspect that the title or a title feud doesn't matter a lot in the scheme of things in the MJF front, but they were probably never likely to do Punk/MJF for the title after doing Punk/MJF for months ending in a big blowoff.

So I guess the big title thing to do with Punk that wasn't done with Page is... hey, how's Kenny doing?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

also suspect that the title or a title feud doesn't matter a lot in the scheme of things in the MJF front, but they were probably never likely to do Punk/MJF for the title after doing Punk/MJF for months ending in a big blowoff.

So I guess the big title thing to do with Punk that wasn't done with Page is... hey, how's Kenny doing?

Pick a guy for Punk to properly turn heel against. Then bask in the Punk/Wardlow program you've already built.

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Pick a guy for Punk to properly turn heel against. Then bask in the Punk/Wardlow program you've already built.

I guess it's been long enough that Punk/Moxley would be fresh (but with enough history for anybody that was watching the WWE in the early/mid-2010s). Plus I don't think they've cycled back around to Moxley really going into the title scene after he left during a tournament to go to rehab

not to hate too hard on Adam Cole, but the Owen tournament could have helpful to position a winner to have a world title match.

7 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Has anyone ever pointed out that Page's Buckshot Lariat goes against the laws of physics for the maximization of force at the point of impact?

I don’t think you know how the Special Meter works.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I'm surprised they put the belt on Punk, I didn't expect either Punk or Bryan to win the World title in their first year in AEW. I certainly expect TK wanting to put the belt on either Bryan or Punk within their first year in the company but I pictured them not wanting to hold the main title so soon. Its going to be interesting to see where they go it because I find it hard to see him just be this straight laced babyface fighting champion for his entire run. Unless he wants to be 94-95 Bret but Punk has been for the most part big on feuds and angles. Didn't expect Hangman to lose but he's do well as Champion and he's a made man which is most important

That Anarchy in the Arena was so goddamn awesome. Eddie Kingston, man. And once I saw Bryan come out with the white T-shirt, I knew that shit was on. The visual of that team coming down through the arena with "Wild Thing" on repeat during the first part of the brawl was fuckin' magical. 

Punk vs Hangman was a war and the right man won. 

I usually don't like three way matches, but that tag team match was awesome. Ricky Starks is a gem, and let us not forget Keith Lee singing "Ohhh Mah Gah-ah-ahd!!!" after Ricky ate shit on the outside. He was cracking me up while he was on the apron. 

Death Triangle vs House of Black was a ton of fun, very Dragongate/PWG with more strongth moves. Julia looks awesome. 

Women's title match was good, but Rosa can be a little awkward at times. Sucks, because she's got the fire and charisma that I can't help but get behind. 

I have no idea why they put Darby out there in a match with hardly any build just to take the loss when everyone knows he's out there trying to die with his boots on in every match. KOR does NOT need to be beating Darby, period. Ever. 

Adam Cole and Britt Baker did not need to win these tournaments. This was a missed opportunity on both fronts. 

Jade vs Anna was a little rough. It's awesome that Athena and Stokely are in, but when you can visibly see Statlander getting slid over to Red Velvet to make room for Athena when the fans turned on Ruby for winning just three days ago...yeah. That's really not reading the room, but hopefully, Jade gets past Athena and Stat claims that belt. 

I watched the mixed tag to see how PVZ would do. Sammy and Tay were so insufferable it wasn't worth it. Shoulda taken a smoke break. 

Overall, the middle of the PPV was awful. That, combined with the MJF situation and trying to accommodate the NBA playoffs for some reason, leaves a lot to unpack that I might try to post about later. It's ni-night time, though. 

The last three matches made this show and were worth the price of admission, so I ain't mad at it at all. 

• Like 3