DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

SRS insists he's seen it. 

Anyway, thoughts on the show;

MJF did the right thing for his friend. Whether or not this was his last AEW appearance, he went out like a pro. Made Wardlow look a star.

Anna Jay has gotten so much better, but I'm still not sure she and Jade can be counted on to have matches without someone leading them through it. I think they have something like four years experience between them. You're in a tough spot now, because if Athena comes in and takes the TBS Title from Jade after all your homegrown talents have failed, you're sending a shitty message to your locker room. But sooner or later you need to get the world title on Jade. Stokely seemed excited to be there.

Poor, poor Ruby Soho. She's still in a better spot than she was in WWE, and her work has really tightened up. She needed that win. Maybe this leads to some thing where she turns heel and becomes vicious. Just can't let her wallow on youtube for four months after this. Also, AEW has a Britt Baker issue. She's regressed badly in-ring but is the best booked character in the division by a country mile. They've gotta get some other women over.

Adam Cole is a skinny midcarder who led his old company straight into a reformat. The continued insistence that he's a big star baffles me. Happy for the Hart Family, though.

The Hardys are washed washed. I don't see how you can risk sending Jeff out there anymore. He looks bad. If you're gonna have the Jacksons do their overindulgent bullshit, I'm glad they did it far away from the tag titles.

HOB/Triangle fucking ruled. I think @DEANsaid there was like 5 matches worth of wrestling in this one match. Let's move everyone on to other things. Glad they finally paid off the Julia Hart thing. She projects well and has probably earned more to do than stand around like a goof with the Varsity Blondes.

The mixed tag was what it needed to be. Again, let's get these folks to some fresh matchups. Paige Van Zant is nowhere near ready in-ring, but she has a star quality you can't teach. At this point she'd probably benefit from being on the road full time and working with Regal and Danielson every week. Ethan Page should be doing more. He rules.

Darby/KOR was fine. I don't find either guy to be my cup of tea, but they worked hard and made the most of their death slot.

Arena Anarchy. Good God. We were promised glorious wrestling violence, and we were given glorious wrestling violence. I thought maybe Eddie was a bit too generous to Daniel Garcia, but everyone played their roles well and I thought Jake Hager in particular overdelivered. He doesn't wrestle much, but he tends to be invaluable during things like Stadium Stampede and the street fight with ATT. Santana and Ortiz should win the titles soon, either from JE or FTR. I have a feeling the announced Mox/Punk match this Wednesday is gonna set a lot of shit up with Kingston, Punk, Danielson and Mox. Also, Eddie Kingston is the most relatable character on wrestling television, and his eventual world title win is going to RULE.

Women's title match was really good, but was hurt by the weird build. Right person went over. Let's get a properly built challenger for the next show. 

Tag Title match also ruled, but they've gotta do something about these titles soon. It's time for JE to drop them, have the Christian/Jungle Boy angle, and keep the line moving. Ricky Starks is a STAR. If they're looking at a future without MJF, AEW has their replacement already on payroll. Swerve and Lee look like they're having a ball. Let's get more for them to do.

I don't have much to say about the main. I thought Page deserved a longer reign after the excellent story they told to get him to the title, but iiwii. Punk doesn't need the title at this point, but there are several interesting options for him in terms of feuds.

Good show. Too long. Adam Cole is criminally overrated. Mox is the new New Jack. AEW still tends to deliver like no other wrestling company on earth...

• Like 9

Just watched the main event and it was awesome.  I even liked the cornball Will He Cheat Or Willnt He Cheat? finish.  Hangman Adam Page is fucking awesome.  CM Punk is prolly the best wrestler in AEW.  Maybe.  He puts together good matches.  Maybe Danielson is better.  It's a fun conundrum.  I NOW HAVE MY LIFE BACK!

• Like 9

The show sure picked up from where I stopped yesterday! Even the mixed trios match ended up being just insanely entertaining. I need to watch the main event again, as I dozed off in the middle there! I know, it's ridiculous, as some of you watched this live in one go, but hey, it's all the running and shit, not the lack of excitement!

• Like 3

I am digging the booking of Julia as the newest HoB member.  It was smart to have her turn heel and mist a member of Death Triangle since she isn't emotionally invested with anyone on that team.  That leaves the redemption angle open if HoB asks her to cross the line and fully turn against the Varsity Blondes.  That might be a bridge too far for her.

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I don't have much to say about the main. I thought Page deserved a longer reign after the excellent story they told to get him to the title, but iiwii. Punk doesn't need the title at this point, but there are several interesting options for him in terms of feuds.

Eh.  Khan is a money mark and if you are trying to build legacy for your championship title, you may as well book some title reigns for named guys like CM Punk.   Ric Flair used to love to rail on about the greats that used to hold the NWA World Title during his promos and surrounding the AEW title with history might not be a bad idea.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Just for reference, Julia Hart got hit with the black mist in early December. So it took over five months to finally have a payoff to that angle.

Iron Mike Sharpe wore a protective forearm brace for his entire career and Greg The Hammer Valentine had a shin protector gimmick for six months during his feud with Tito Santana.  Who really cares how long it took for them to pay off the eye injury angle?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Iron Mike Sharpe wore a protective forearm brace for his entire career and Greg The Hammer Valentine had a shin protector gimmick for six months during his feud with Tito Santana.  Who really cares how long it took for them to pay off the eye injury angle?

Always felt like there was a lot of starts and stops with this one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

On WO Radio after the show, Alvarez was somewhat still buying it (though he basically said “well, other people reported it, believing it was true”) and Dave trolled him for it.

They started a segment with Alvarez saying “so what’s going on with MJF” and Dave snarking at him with “Well, you tell me.  You know MORE THAN I DO.” Then dredging up the plane ticket story to make the point that he (Dave) never bought in.

When it comes to Meltzer and AEW scoops, I think that if it puts AEW in a positive light or its the sort of story his sources (TK, the EVPs) would want out there, he’s pretty reliable. But when it comes to the sort of stories that paint AEW as less than a 24/7, all-inclusive bed of roses where everyone is BFFLs, I would look elsewhere. Because he’s either not getting fed those stories or he’s keeping them quiet.

• Like 2

Can we take a second to appreciate all the great things Jericho has brought and done in AEW? Stadium Stampede, Anarchy in the Arena, the Wizard/Demo God/Le Champion, ooooo a little bit of the bubbly.

And he's getting Danny boy and 2.0 over as well. He might be a guy I need to place on my Mt. Rushmore just for his mind and longevity of being at the top.

• Like 13

Ironically, if you hadto watch a compilation of every Jake Hager match in AEW, that would be a really good compilation. Even though he's never really had a good performance himself, he's been in a lot of good/ important matches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ironically, if you hadto watch a compilation of every Jake Hager match in AEW, that would be a really good compilation. Even though he's never really had a good performance himself, he's been in a lot of good/ important matches.

The miracle whip of AEW

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Always felt like there was a lot of starts and stops with this one. 

If you weren't factoring in Dark/Elevations in there then definitely it was disjointed from Dynamite/Rampages.

Ultimately, as it concerns rumors of plane tickets and no shows.  I can’t really be bothered.  What matters is what was had on screen.  Which was a seven minute cathartic squash of the biggest asshole character of the last three years.  

I’m trying to recall another time where the payoff to an storyline had that degree of finality to it.  But it’s not really coming to me.  

But for me it highlights one of AEWs biggest strengths.  For years the backstage story has more often than not eclipsed the one in front of the cameras.  Not this time.  

• Like 3

Anybody else notice how poorly MJF was bumping for at least half of those powerbombs? He was landing on his hands with his arms extended like he was trying to dislocate an elbow. Didn't want to land flat on his back after powerbomb #3. On top of all the other drama I wonder if he's hurt?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Can we take a second to appreciate all the great things Jericho has brought and done in AEW? Stadium Stampede, Anarchy in the Arena, the Wizard/Demo God/Le Champion, ooooo a little bit of the bubbly.

And he's getting Danny boy and 2.0 over as well. He might be a guy I need to place on my Mt. Rushmore just for his mind and longevity of being at the top.

I am not ashamed to admit that I purchased a bottle of A Little Bit O' The Bubbly for the sake of posterity and I will never open it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Just for reference, Julia Hart got hit with the black mist in early December. So it took over five months to finally have a payoff to that angle.

I think it was supposed to be House of Black vs. Death Triangle at Revolution but with Fenix's injury they couldn't have this version of the match (with Fenix instead of Rowan) until now. I feel like it was supposed to happen then.  At least we got there.

It's one minor quibble I have with AEW at times that sometimes something might get pushed back a liiiiitle too far.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Anybody else notice how poorly MJF was bumping for at least half of those powerbombs? He was landing on his hands with his arms extended like he was trying to dislocate an elbow. Didn't want to land flat on his back after powerbomb #3. On top of all the other drama I wonder if he's hurt?

Yea I noticed he took quite a few of them with his tailbone hitting first which... seems like not the ideal way to take a powerbomb. I know wrestlers are a unique breed of people but I dunno how he wouldn't have been sore on Monday if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

Ultimately, as it concerns rumors of plane tickets and no shows.  I can’t really be bothered.  What matters is what was had on screen.  Which was a seven minute cathartic squash of the biggest asshole character of the last three years.  

I’m trying to recall another time where the payoff to an storyline had that degree of finality to it.  But it’s not really coming to me.  

I felt like it was verging on overkill, to be honest. It was starting to veer into that Bret Hart vs. McMahon match from years back, where the protracted beatdown was resulting in diminishing returns.

• Like 2