DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't have much to add, but I watched Double or Nothing in a theatre with a bunch of other wrestling nerds and had an absolute blast, although I was spent by the end of the show. 

Me & my Buddy watched it at a Theatre as well it was a blast & we will probably do it for the Next AEW PPV as Well. 

Edited by Hail Sabin
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Me & my Buddy watched it a Theatre as well it was a blast & we will probably due it for the Next AEW PPV as Well. 

I hope Forbidden Door will be shown in theaters. 

• Like 3

I only tweet because that’s the easiest way I can figure out how to get photos from my phone to here. If there’s a better way please let me know. 

Im just starting to go through my stuff now, I get burned out after going to shows and like to think about completely different stuff. Getting old. Plus Vegas and I had a late flight yesterday and drank all day. Ugh. Crazy rich Asians slot machine was hot though. Made my morning. 

Thought this was an awesome sequence before I switched to video. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Watched this with some buddies on Monday night and had a grand old time. I don't get to watch a ton of wrestling in company, and I definitely think it changes how I view the show vs. watching alone.

Watching it in this fashion, I most enjoyed were the Anarchy match. As others have said, loved the little nod to New Jack/Sandman with Wild Thing looping.
There was a part of me that hoped it would keep playing until Moxley finally made it into the ring, immediate finish and then starts back up for him to make his exit. Loved what we actually got though.

The other real stand out for me was the House of Black vs Death Triangle. Great breathless action.

The only thing that really bothered me was Cole and Baker winning their respective matches. Neither of them needed it, and Cole is probably my least enjoyed consistently pushed act in AEW. For what was Joe's first loss since joining the promotion, it felt so unceremonious and also doesn't really do anything for Cole?

Need to go back and watch the Deeb/Rosa & Hangman/Punk matches as we were talking all throughout and definitely felt me attention wane at points.

• Like 3

I get a special feeling of joy whenever JR says "This guy is smart and never takes any unnecessary chances." only for him to immediately go up to the top rope and have something reversed, virtually seconds after JR says it. It's one of the most beautiful things in pro wrestling in 2022 and it's way more common than you'd think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, kafkonia said:

You don't put the world title on the Honky Tonk Man.

In all seriousness, MJF's entire appeal is that people want to see him get his ass kicked. While you can't let it happen too often or it loses the appeal, you also have to realize that nobody's going to pay money to watch him win.

Love the Honky Tonk Man comparison. Tho, he was the 'Greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time'. I like Friedman fine, but Main Eventing on these shows should be an exclamation point. MJef with the title seems like it would need to feature a lot of interference and overbooking. Wherever he goes from here I hope they put a moratorium on his character somehow booking all his feuds and running them like story mode in an N64 wrestling game. 

16 hours ago, A_K said:

Meltzer, who propagated the bullshit to begin with that worked over so many kind unsuspecting souls like fiddles, is now trying to monetize the new narrative of there being no flight after all? ? You could not make it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the propagation of flight info and much of the weekend's MJF 'hysteria' was from that Sean Sapp dude. Dave spoke pretty cautiously about things on any of the shows I heard. Whatever Meltzer-hate-strange-jealousy ppl have his AEW news is pretty clearly tapping the correct sources.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the propagation of flight info and much of the weekend's MJF 'hysteria' was from that Sean Sapp dude. Dave spoke pretty cautiously about things on any of the shows I heard. Whatever Meltzer-hate-strange-jealousy ppl have his AEW news is pretty clearly tapping the correct sources.  

Forget it, HarryArchieGus, it's Anti-Meltzerhysteriatown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don’t want to go near this point again as it is very boring now, but given you asked for a correction, sure, I can give it. Meltzer hosted an “emergency podcast” in which it was taken as given MJF was not turning up. Title should be put on Wardlow in a 3 way. Maybe try and get Goldberg in on 24 hour notice. Then reiterated MJF was not at building few hours before event .. was “doing a Pillman” etc. Just general juvenile lunacy, you know. They basically got worked like absolute fiddles by a performance artist. No “jealousy”, don’t worry about that, but very happy to  give a little info for you on a carny hack who has no genuine insight into any market movements but will try to monetize it regardless under the pretence of being a “journalist” at PW’s absolute carny worst ? 

Edited by A_K

Do Bischoff & Prichard share the A_K account? Jesus Christ dude we get it. At least they have a few hours of air time they're trying to fill. You're basically just spamming the meme of the dude pointing to his brain a bunch. No one cares.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Mostly I was glad he made it through the whole show without describing anyone as being from "the Orient". 

Time itself seemed to slow down as he tried to describe Athena though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, A_K said:

I don’t want to go near this point again as it is very boring now, but given you asked for a correction, sure, I can give it. Meltzer hosted an “emergency podcast” in which it was taken as given MJF was not turning up. Title should be put on Wardlow in a 3 way. Maybe try and get Goldberg in on 24 hour notice. Then reiterated MJF was not at building few hours before event .. was “doing a Pillman” etc. Just general juvenile lunacy, you know. They basically got worked like absolute fiddles by a performance artist. No “jealousy”, don’t worry about that, but very happy to  give a little info for you on a carny hack who has no genuine insight into any market movements but will try to monetize it regardless under the pretence of being a “journalist” at PW’s absolute carny worst ? 

Ha, yeah, I agree Dave showed some awful shortcomings as a fantasy booker, but I don't see any issue with that or the 'emergency pod'. It was a breaking story that was clearly exciting posters here (see 'HOT'). Dave's 'Pillman' comments and updating on his arrival, if he knew what was up, played into the angle - so? I don't really see why either comment/tweet were serving any sort of injustice. To each their own, I find Dave to be an excellent historian and analyst. I don't read the Observer so maybe you have more insight into his modern day writing. He's not an orator or great broadcaster, but I nonetheless find the observer radio AEW post shows interesting/enjoyable to listen to. I don't share the same view of what's good and great and bad as Dave, but feel no reason to bury him for it. He's got his reasons and it's all pretty subjective, no? The job requires sources that could potentially mislead - not unlike a telephone game. Which is not so much problematic as it is lightly dubious, but nothing to get upset about. Dave's the definition of an incredible mega nerd, but that certainly doesn't mean he isn't without his charm. Again, to each their own. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I want to give credit too. I wrote 1000 words on Page vs Punk for SC for tonight and I'll say this: Excalibur is the only announcer in the main that was really working hard to get the story over. And it wasn't a simple story necessarily. Maybe that's because JR was so overbearing that it allowed Khan to feed Excalibur lines. I don't know. Regardless, he did a good job and deserves credit for it.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I want to give credit too. I wrote 1000 words on Page vs Punk for SC for tonight and I'll say this: Excalibur is the only announcer in the main that was really working hard to get the story over. And it wasn't a simple story necessarily. Maybe that's because JR was so overbearing that it allowed Khan to feed Excalibur lines. I don't know. Regardless, he did a good job and deserves credit for it.

I think you're right, but tact isn't always Excalibur's strong suit. Too often his storytelling comes off like he's trying to convince children. I long for the day that we either get a foreign language feed option or even better no commentary option.

I just remembered during the Wardlow intro when JR started an anecdote about Bill Watts saying big men draw money and Excalibur frantically stepped all over it before Ross could finish. 

• Like 2

I feel like most people have already covered the salient points, as well as some not-salient points, but I saw the show mostly spoiler free just now. 

The brawl was amazing. Million billion stars. Matt Menard, what a man. 

Hangman ME matches get a bit overwrought, but I'll allow it in on PPV. Kinda wanted him to win, but I can't really argue with Punk. 

I think I'm starting to get a finger on why I don't like Adam Cole: Is the Owen really the "most prestigious tournament in the world?" Come on, man, what a weird thing to say. Just go with "Owen Hart was awesome and I want to kick someone's head in," like a real human being. Plenty of internet ink has already been wasted on this man, though, so let's just pause to reflect on how awesome that brawl was. 

Has Rooooooosh ever worn a suit before? Feel like I have to ask because it looked like he needed a word with his tailor, and a four-letter one at that. 

DT vs. Blacks was, as my learned friend said, very much a Toryumon trios match and hella fun for it. Could have done with a whisper less lucha goofiness and a touch more Psycho Muscle Goblin vs. Head Kicking Pagan. That's where the money is, not Michael Jackson cosplay. 

I actually liked the three way tag title match. I was expecting to hate it but Starks and Hobbs are actually great, Keith Lee flipping to the outside looks cataclysmic and Swerve & JB are okay. JB needs to get sick Christian's shit already though. 

Wardlow has a great face. Powerbombs galore and a stretcher job were the order of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1