DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

15 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I felt like it was verging on overkill, to be honest. It was starting to veer into that Bret Hart vs. McMahon match from years back, where the protracted beatdown was resulting in diminishing returns.

I actually felt the same. I guess they used the stretcher job to give MJF a break, but to me that almost made him a sympathetic figure.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I actually felt the same. I guess they used the stretcher job to give MJF a break, but to me that almost made him a sympathetic figure.

I didn't think he came off sympathetic.  I mean, MJF stalled and cheated and belittled Wardlow for a couple years trying to avoid that moment.  I thought it was basically giving the fans what they want.  I also did wonder if MJF took 10 powerbombs as a receipt for being an ass and trying to leverage Tony over the weekend.  

When I read that they did a stretcher angle. I wondered if that was going to be the storyline reason to keep him off tv until his contract expires in 2024.

My theory is that MJF used the possibility that he would no-show the match to hold Tony up for more money.  Meltzer and others believer strongly that no-showing fan fest was unplanned, and it turned into a work on Sunday after word got out.  The question is whether MJF got a bigger PPV check or a salary bump for the next two years, and what Khan intends to do about it.  I don't think MJF will sit home until 2024, but that wouldn't surprise me overmuch either.  There are a lot of dudes in the locker room that probably view themselves at MJF's level.  Letting MJF extort the company would set a terrible precedent.  There's still a lot of money to be made if Tony and Max can put aside feelings and egos for the next year or two.  I think the WWE probably has a lot of interest in MJF right now.  i'm not at all sure the interest will still be there in two years if AEW sends Max home till his contract runs out.  Fans have short memories.

Oddly, I have very little interest in what goes on in front of the camera but the business of running a wrestling company still interests me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

So, I thought about for a minute this morning, and given the clues srs has given about who didn’t buy the ticket for MJF, and how he said that this person has been his source for multiple other AEW related scoops, my new theory is that MJF himself leaked all the flight stuff to SRS. Sean reportedly had contact with MJF multiple times Sunday, and given that MJF would’ve also had inside knowledge on the Cody stuff and other AEW stories, it makes sense…

On 5/30/2022 at 5:04 AM, The Natural said:

FT-O69yUcAAxGgi?format=jpg&name=small

1. Since the winner gets a title belt each, I could totally see them defending them in mixed tags... possibly even a whole division ala AAA. Statlander/Cassidy, Page/Paige, Miro/Hirsch, Kip/Penelope, Jay/Silver... it's a pretty damn endless list of combos you could produce.
2. Did anyone else think it was going to be a scientific-only tournament? Since Cole cheated to win in (I think) every match, I hope that going forward they close that loophole. Cheat to win and you're out.

22 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

FUBcVGZWQAAjnrd?format=jpg&name=small

That's some Carnival of Souls shit.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's some Carnival of Souls shit.

Thank you. Every time I see it I think it's a still from some forgotten '60s Eurohorror. 

Hager's constant proximity to Jericho is why he's always in the mix. He's the only guy that hasn't either turned on or been turned on by Chris. It really is a perfect utility role -- big bruiser who can't talk but is always good for holding the other end of the ring rope. 

EDIT: Barbara Steele in Curse of the Crimson Altar maybe? 

Barbara Steele : Actress - Films, episodes and roles on digiguide.tv

Edited by Curt McGirt

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hager's constant proximity to Jericho is why he's always in the mix. He's the only guy that hasn't either turned on or been turned on by Chris. It really is a perfect utility role -- big bruiser who can't talk but is always good for holding the other end of the ring rope. 

That said, I'm all for a Danielson vs Hager singles match on Wednesday or Friday.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Interesting contrast to Wardlow since they filled the same role in their respective groups but Hager is 100% loyal to Jericho and I don’t remember a single time in 3 years where they’ve teased any tension between them or any disrespect from Jericho to Jake and I don’t think they ever will.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Interesting contrast to Wardlow since they filled the same role in their respective groups but Hager is 100% loyal to Jericho and I don’t remember a single time in 3 years where they’ve teased any tension between them or any disrespect from Jericho to Jake and I don’t think they ever will.

The only moment of dissention was when Santana and Ortiz got dropped and Hager seemed conflicted but that was all of 10 seconds.

• Like 2

I was shocked that JAS came out with a win, but it was beautifully and believably done!

Ok, now it's been established that House of Black is a stronger unit than Death Triangle. But I still want the singles matches within the two groups. Let PAC gain his revenge by beating the other two members so he can get a one on one with Malakai. That's one of the only ways I'm getting PAC vs Matthews in the foreseeable future!

Ok, now MJF did the thing he was supposed to do. Put Wardlow over huge. Now let him rest a bit and then start his rehabilitation as a contender and a future AEW World champion, ASAP!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, porksweats said:

The only moment of dissention was when Santana and Ortiz got dropped and Hager seemed conflicted but that was all of 10 seconds.

And even that 10 seconds could have been a ruse, in order to get his sneak attack on!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Ok, now MJF did the thing he was supposed to do. Put Wardlow over huge. Now let him rest a bit and then start his rehabilitation as a contender and a future AEW World champion, ASAP!

You don't put the world title on the Honky Tonk Man.

In all seriousness, MJF's entire appeal is that people want to see him get his ass kicked. While you can't let it happen too often or it loses the appeal, you also have to realize that nobody's going to pay money to watch him win.

Edited by kafkonia
  • Like 3

I watched the show in chunks over the course of Memorial Day since I had plans on Sunday already. I can see why it might have been a lot to take in all at once, but each segment of the show delivered at least the bare minimum, with most going well above expectations. Damn near perfect show really.

Very happy to see AEW follow through with a full squash for Wardlow. With as good as MJF is, it would be tempting to do a real match here, but that wasn't what the story called for. The stretcher job with the paramedics moving him carelessly after putting him in a neck brace and putting on the oxygen mask upside down was perfect. Keep it light so there's no sympathy for MJF getting hurt, but give an out to take some time off and come back with a big reset.

Bucks/Hardys was as good as it could've been with Jeff being so immobile. Say what you want about the Bucks, they did a great job keeping this match from falling apart and even did the honors for the Hardys when they really shouldn't have.

Jade/Anna was fine, with Jade looking a lot more comfortable working a longer match. They're absolutely doing the right thing being patient with her while still keeping her strong, and she's clearly putting in the work on her end. Loved that they actually wrote off Sterling by taking a couple nasty head drops over the course of the night so he can have a reset while Stoke gets to shine. Athena is a good get for AEW, since they need more competent vets to lead longer matches in the women's division.

HOB/DT was a great Dragon Gate style 6-man with nonstop action and everybody getting time to shine. I was worried they might have missed the boat on Julia's turn with that awkward segment a few weeks ago, but it still got a big pop here.

The Owen Cup matches were fine, but nothing special. Britt definitely shouldn't have won, but when they announced the format with the winners on stage together, that was pretty obviously going to happen. I do like the Stanley Cup style trophy that every winner gets their name engraved on. The presentation went longer than it should have, but it was probably good to have a little break in the action of such a marathon show.

Darby/KOR was a great "second opener" after the long Owen segment. KOR winning clean was a bit surprising, but it makes sense as a show of good faith after he signed a long contract. I always thought he had a lot of potential as a singles guy, so we'll see if AEW ever gives him that run.

The mixed trios was a fine comedy match. Sammy and Tay are back to being heels and thankfully they won't be around Lambert anymore to muddy those roles.

Deeb/Rosa delivered the way I had hoped. I was getting nervous with those bad promos leading up to it, but everything here hit just right. Rosa's gear was awesome, and this was easily her best match other than the Lights Out.

The Not-Stadium-Stampede was the big surprise of the night. I expected more comedy filler, and it turned into a violent brawl. Garcia's piledriver on the steps was sick. The gasoline leading to the downfall of the face team was pretty good. Surprised to see Danielson take the fall, but the finish was very credible and didn't hurt him a bit.

The 3-way tag was another great nonstop action match. I agree that it feels like JE has run their course with the belts, but damn do they always deliver in their big matches. Either of these other teams getting a little run would've been nice. As good as FTR is, I'd rather them not monopolize all the belts on a roster with so many great teams. They're already money as a special attraction team and they can defend the ROH belts whenever they just need a match.

The main event was exactly what it needed to be. Punk going over is the right move. He can sell a program with anyone, and whoever beats him will be made for life. If they actually circle around back to Wardlow ending his reign, I'll be quite impressed with the long-term vision.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, just drew said:

So, I thought about for a minute this morning, and given the clues srs has given about who didn’t buy the ticket for MJF, and how he said that this person has been his source for multiple other AEW related scoops, my new theory is that MJF himself leaked all the flight stuff to SRS. Sean reportedly had contact with MJF multiple times Sunday, and given that MJF would’ve also had inside knowledge on the Cody stuff and other AEW stories, it makes sense…

MJF also had the most to gain from leaking the story.

Meltzer is sure there was no Saturday flight because Max Friedman’s original (post-show) flight was never canceled.  There are other reasons but that is Dave’s “eureka” moment.  I dunno about Dave but I probably would not cancel the original reservation until I was sure I was catching the earlier flight home, so that didn’t convince me much.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

MJF also had the most to gain from leaking the story.

Meltzer is sure there was no Saturday flight because Max Friedman’s original (post-show) flight was never canceled.  There are other reasons but that is Dave’s “eureka” moment.  I dunno about Dave but I probably would not cancel the original reservation until I was sure I was catching the earlier flight home, so that didn’t convince me much.

He also said there was no record of an earlier ticket in MJF's name. (it's not like you can buy a plane ticket under a pseudonym anymore, if you ever could)

Meltzer, who propagated the bullshit to begin with that worked over so many kind unsuspecting souls like fiddles, is now trying to monetize the new narrative of there being no flight after all? ? You could not make it up.

Edited by A_K

Don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative, I guess, but Alvarez was doubting the plane ticket story pretty early on.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

FT-GKDKWIAAk6yb?format=jpg&name=small

Triple H is #AllElite.

Cheers ? 

I just spit soda out my nose onto my phone laughing at this, caught me off guard as I've not seen the ppv yet 

I legit thought that was HHH for a split second ?

• Like 3