DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

The show sure picked up from where I stopped yesterday! Even the mixed trios match ended up being just insanely entertaining. I need to watch the main event again, as I dozed off in the middle there! I know, it's ridiculous, as some of you watched this live in one go, but hey, it's all the running and shit, not the lack of excitement!

• Like 3

I am digging the booking of Julia as the newest HoB member.  It was smart to have her turn heel and mist a member of Death Triangle since she isn't emotionally invested with anyone on that team.  That leaves the redemption angle open if HoB asks her to cross the line and fully turn against the Varsity Blondes.  That might be a bridge too far for her.

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I don't have much to say about the main. I thought Page deserved a longer reign after the excellent story they told to get him to the title, but iiwii. Punk doesn't need the title at this point, but there are several interesting options for him in terms of feuds.

Eh.  Khan is a money mark and if you are trying to build legacy for your championship title, you may as well book some title reigns for named guys like CM Punk.   Ric Flair used to love to rail on about the greats that used to hold the NWA World Title during his promos and surrounding the AEW title with history might not be a bad idea.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Just for reference, Julia Hart got hit with the black mist in early December. So it took over five months to finally have a payoff to that angle.

Iron Mike Sharpe wore a protective forearm brace for his entire career and Greg The Hammer Valentine had a shin protector gimmick for six months during his feud with Tito Santana.  Who really cares how long it took for them to pay off the eye injury angle?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Iron Mike Sharpe wore a protective forearm brace for his entire career and Greg The Hammer Valentine had a shin protector gimmick for six months during his feud with Tito Santana.  Who really cares how long it took for them to pay off the eye injury angle?

Always felt like there was a lot of starts and stops with this one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

On WO Radio after the show, Alvarez was somewhat still buying it (though he basically said “well, other people reported it, believing it was true”) and Dave trolled him for it.

They started a segment with Alvarez saying “so what’s going on with MJF” and Dave snarking at him with “Well, you tell me.  You know MORE THAN I DO.” Then dredging up the plane ticket story to make the point that he (Dave) never bought in.

When it comes to Meltzer and AEW scoops, I think that if it puts AEW in a positive light or its the sort of story his sources (TK, the EVPs) would want out there, he’s pretty reliable. But when it comes to the sort of stories that paint AEW as less than a 24/7, all-inclusive bed of roses where everyone is BFFLs, I would look elsewhere. Because he’s either not getting fed those stories or he’s keeping them quiet.

• Like 2

Can we take a second to appreciate all the great things Jericho has brought and done in AEW? Stadium Stampede, Anarchy in the Arena, the Wizard/Demo God/Le Champion, ooooo a little bit of the bubbly.

And he's getting Danny boy and 2.0 over as well. He might be a guy I need to place on my Mt. Rushmore just for his mind and longevity of being at the top.

• Like 13

Ironically, if you hadto watch a compilation of every Jake Hager match in AEW, that would be a really good compilation. Even though he's never really had a good performance himself, he's been in a lot of good/ important matches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ironically, if you hadto watch a compilation of every Jake Hager match in AEW, that would be a really good compilation. Even though he's never really had a good performance himself, he's been in a lot of good/ important matches.

The miracle whip of AEW

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Always felt like there was a lot of starts and stops with this one. 

If you weren't factoring in Dark/Elevations in there then definitely it was disjointed from Dynamite/Rampages.

Ultimately, as it concerns rumors of plane tickets and no shows.  I can’t really be bothered.  What matters is what was had on screen.  Which was a seven minute cathartic squash of the biggest asshole character of the last three years.  

I’m trying to recall another time where the payoff to an storyline had that degree of finality to it.  But it’s not really coming to me.  

But for me it highlights one of AEWs biggest strengths.  For years the backstage story has more often than not eclipsed the one in front of the cameras.  Not this time.  

• Like 3

Anybody else notice how poorly MJF was bumping for at least half of those powerbombs? He was landing on his hands with his arms extended like he was trying to dislocate an elbow. Didn't want to land flat on his back after powerbomb #3. On top of all the other drama I wonder if he's hurt?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Can we take a second to appreciate all the great things Jericho has brought and done in AEW? Stadium Stampede, Anarchy in the Arena, the Wizard/Demo God/Le Champion, ooooo a little bit of the bubbly.

And he's getting Danny boy and 2.0 over as well. He might be a guy I need to place on my Mt. Rushmore just for his mind and longevity of being at the top.

I am not ashamed to admit that I purchased a bottle of A Little Bit O' The Bubbly for the sake of posterity and I will never open it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Just for reference, Julia Hart got hit with the black mist in early December. So it took over five months to finally have a payoff to that angle.

I think it was supposed to be House of Black vs. Death Triangle at Revolution but with Fenix's injury they couldn't have this version of the match (with Fenix instead of Rowan) until now. I feel like it was supposed to happen then.  At least we got there.

It's one minor quibble I have with AEW at times that sometimes something might get pushed back a liiiiitle too far.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Anybody else notice how poorly MJF was bumping for at least half of those powerbombs? He was landing on his hands with his arms extended like he was trying to dislocate an elbow. Didn't want to land flat on his back after powerbomb #3. On top of all the other drama I wonder if he's hurt?

Yea I noticed he took quite a few of them with his tailbone hitting first which... seems like not the ideal way to take a powerbomb. I know wrestlers are a unique breed of people but I dunno how he wouldn't have been sore on Monday if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

Ultimately, as it concerns rumors of plane tickets and no shows.  I can’t really be bothered.  What matters is what was had on screen.  Which was a seven minute cathartic squash of the biggest asshole character of the last three years.  

I’m trying to recall another time where the payoff to an storyline had that degree of finality to it.  But it’s not really coming to me.  

I felt like it was verging on overkill, to be honest. It was starting to veer into that Bret Hart vs. McMahon match from years back, where the protracted beatdown was resulting in diminishing returns.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I felt like it was verging on overkill, to be honest. It was starting to veer into that Bret Hart vs. McMahon match from years back, where the protracted beatdown was resulting in diminishing returns.

I actually felt the same. I guess they used the stretcher job to give MJF a break, but to me that almost made him a sympathetic figure.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I actually felt the same. I guess they used the stretcher job to give MJF a break, but to me that almost made him a sympathetic figure.

I didn't think he came off sympathetic.  I mean, MJF stalled and cheated and belittled Wardlow for a couple years trying to avoid that moment.  I thought it was basically giving the fans what they want.  I also did wonder if MJF took 10 powerbombs as a receipt for being an ass and trying to leverage Tony over the weekend.  

When I read that they did a stretcher angle. I wondered if that was going to be the storyline reason to keep him off tv until his contract expires in 2024.

My theory is that MJF used the possibility that he would no-show the match to hold Tony up for more money.  Meltzer and others believer strongly that no-showing fan fest was unplanned, and it turned into a work on Sunday after word got out.  The question is whether MJF got a bigger PPV check or a salary bump for the next two years, and what Khan intends to do about it.  I don't think MJF will sit home until 2024, but that wouldn't surprise me overmuch either.  There are a lot of dudes in the locker room that probably view themselves at MJF's level.  Letting MJF extort the company would set a terrible precedent.  There's still a lot of money to be made if Tony and Max can put aside feelings and egos for the next year or two.  I think the WWE probably has a lot of interest in MJF right now.  i'm not at all sure the interest will still be there in two years if AEW sends Max home till his contract runs out.  Fans have short memories.

Oddly, I have very little interest in what goes on in front of the camera but the business of running a wrestling company still interests me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

So, I thought about for a minute this morning, and given the clues srs has given about who didn’t buy the ticket for MJF, and how he said that this person has been his source for multiple other AEW related scoops, my new theory is that MJF himself leaked all the flight stuff to SRS. Sean reportedly had contact with MJF multiple times Sunday, and given that MJF would’ve also had inside knowledge on the Cody stuff and other AEW stories, it makes sense…

On 5/30/2022 at 5:04 AM, The Natural said:

FT-O69yUcAAxGgi?format=jpg&name=small

1. Since the winner gets a title belt each, I could totally see them defending them in mixed tags... possibly even a whole division ala AAA. Statlander/Cassidy, Page/Paige, Miro/Hirsch, Kip/Penelope, Jay/Silver... it's a pretty damn endless list of combos you could produce.
2. Did anyone else think it was going to be a scientific-only tournament? Since Cole cheated to win in (I think) every match, I hope that going forward they close that loophole. Cheat to win and you're out.

22 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

FUBcVGZWQAAjnrd?format=jpg&name=small

That's some Carnival of Souls shit.