DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

read the first 4ish pages. not gonna read the whole damn thread.

i have a number of complaints about this show, but zero are due to the in-ring. Every match delivered in whatever avenue it needed to.

disappointed in Punk winning the strap. he's been good in promos and his matches have all been at least good, but i just am not interested.

was 100% sure Jurassic Express was losing their tag titles. definitely at/past time for that.

Rosa/Deeb was fantastic.

stretcher job keeps MJF off tv until everything's smoothed over. would still like to find out what really happened that lead to this, but whatevs.

Thunder Rosa and Serena Deeb was good.  Great finisher by Thunder Rosa.  She should use that more often. Wasn't as good as Baker/Soho, but it was good.

• Like 3

Took me two days to watch. Jeepers.

Thoughts from yesterday:

-Jade vs. Anna had its moments. Jade is not as good as she thinks she is. Anna is not the person to cover for her flaws. Stat should take the belt off of her stat.

-Multiple shitty sharpshooters/scorpion deathlocks. Multiple scary-looking dive botches.

-I felt bad that they'd turned Tay heel. Then I saw how great she is at it. I just wish they'd gone all-in on Page and Scorpio being faces, Kaz's Youtube-only winning record was not enough to carry a heel/heel match-up.

-PVZ definitely has the "I know how to hit you for real so my worked strikes look like shit" thing most MMA guys do when they get into wrestling. And I feel like the bookers were expecting the crowd to be more into her.

-My roommate, who is outside the IWC, remarked on his spaghetti arms. At first she thought he was an announcer.

-Rosa and Deeb had the best women's match of the night, but Ruby stepped her game up vs. Britt.

Thoughts from today:

-Triple threat tag match had great spots, some clunkiness near the beginning. Anyone who thinks have JE wear the titles is a mistake needs to listen to the crowd when they come in, then listen to the much quieter one for Swerve and somewhat quieter one for Lee.

-I'm glad they didn't pull the trigger on a heel turn for either guy in the main event. Heel Punk would be cheap and lazy booking, and Hangman's character wouldn't be well-served by a heel run yet. It was a little too melodramatic, but dammit this is wrestling that's what it's supposed to be.

• Like 3

Also the Hardys looked terrible last night, Jeff especially. The Bucks did their best to carry the match, but Jeff especially does not look good. How slow and gassed he looked is really concerning. It also concerns me the type of bumps he's taking at his age after all the wear and tear he's put on his body, and that's on top of his drug and substance issues. 

I'm really not sure that needed to be a PPV match either. 

• Like 2

If "Bret was always right" is the correct rule of thumb, surely that extends to Martha Hart.

Gave a ridiculously drawn out speech that made it clear she had no interest in any of the tournament, thanked a bunch of her family, put her stupid hat over, made it about herself. If it was Dana Warrior, or the widow of a less beloved figure than Owen, people would rightfully be shitting on this. Even the cut-aways to her watching on and looking bored and disinterested during the Dax/Cole match actively took away from it. Not sure why they didn't call an audible after that and got Oje to present at the PPV, given how well he spoke on the Dark Side of the Ring episode.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

OH MAN! Anarchy in the Arena was a 1996 FMW main event.  The superstar was Daddy Magic Menard who hits a fucking Jericho in the Thrillseekers level plasma spew.  Oh man, that was fun.  Garcia was fucking great beating the hell out of Kingston.  Moxley and Jericho carried the body of the match and I was amazed that Jericho didn't bleed.  Jake Hagar was your secret great wrestler in the match.  I was pissed when Jericho pulled the plug on X.  Billy Zoom rules.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Darby Allin's make-up makes me think he is joining the House of Black!  JESUS CHRIST!  Darby Allin is FUCKING INSANE. I don;t think he can ever do that again.  Great HAjitajimay by KOR on the normalish tope.  So Kyle O'Riley is the best wrestler in AEW.  He can have a good match with any wrestler on the roster and can work any style.  That match was fucking great.  This is a great PPV if you make a day of it.

Kind of wild how this match got completely slept on considering how good it was.

• Like 2

At some point you need to put the tag belts on P&P.

Jericho's called them out as losers who rode his coattails and would be nothing without him. That needs to be proven wrong, otherwise it sticks. Maybe have them drop it to 2.0 in some wacky stipulation match similar to the Quebecers/Steiners switch, who then hold them till the inevitable Acclaimed face turn.....defended in a rap battle. 

• Like 3

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

If "Bret was always right" is the correct rule of thumb, surely that extends to Martha Hart.

Gave a ridiculously drawn out speech that made it clear she had no interest in any of the tournament, thanked a bunch of her family, put her stupid hat over, made it about herself. If it was Dana Warrior, or the widow of a less beloved figure than Owen, people would rightfully be shitting on this. Even the cut-aways to her watching on and looking bored and disinterested during the Dax/Cole match actively took away from it. Not sure why they didn't call an audible after that and got Oje to present at the PPV, given how well he spoke on the Dark Side of the Ring episode.

I didn't really take issue with anything Martha Hart said at all. 

Also, Bret Hart isn't always right. Hart trashed Arn Anderson as being mediocre.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, and maybe no one cares anymore, but Meltzer and Alvarez are convinced there was never any threatening plane ticket bought for or by MJF.

Show me the airplane ticket and itinerary. Otherwise, I think it's all BS.

The Three Way Tag title match was a hoot!  Your superstars were Shane Strickland and Keith Lee and Ricky Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs.  Both teams would be great tag team champions.  BUT it's good that Jurassic Express won this match, because nothing makes your title look shittier than losing it in a three way match.  Ricky Starks is definitely Lord Regal level in terms of carrying a match with facial expressions.   Swerve and Keith Lee are having too much fun not to eventually be champions.  That was good.

• Like 5