DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing 2022 - Post Show Thread

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

also I guess Punk/Kingston for the title down the road would be interesting but Eddie has some stuff to do before then

Absolutely. 

I really, really, really hope Eddie get a run with the belt. Doesn't need to be long. 

• Like 5

My buddy and I thought Jeff Hardy looked wasted even before the Whisper. Say what you will about the Bucks, or Matt Hardy at this point in his career, but those guys are fucking pros and held the match together until it could find itself in the end, when it very easily could’ve gone off the rails early and not recovered.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Why the fuck is Darby Allin losing to some NXT wrestler

Darby Allin losing to Jeff Hardy in the Owen tournament seems less explicable than him losing to O'Reilly. At least O'Reilly works matches where people don't feel sad about his condition.

If they wanted Jeff Hardy to do a little deeper into the tournament because he worked Owen in 1995.. there's probably a better way to do those brackets

• Like 5

I was pissed. Not so much at the PPV but the stupid Roku B/R app that kept giving me an error message. My order went through and I was charged but the app refused to work. So after almost an hour dealing with that (plus calling up Roku and getting a refund), I ordered it through the damn website and plugged the laptop into the tv and was able to catch the tail end of Jade/Anna. You have to love when they don't clue in JR as to who someone is when they are debuting. Stoakley comes out and JR is pretty much who the hell is this guy?

It was smooth watching from that point on but man they could have cut a couple of matches and saved it for Dynamite. Specifically Kyle/Darby match (which was good) and Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page & Paige Vanzant vs. Frankie Kazarian, Sammy Guevara & Tay Conti. I could have lived with out those matches on the show.

I thought the Owen finals were good. Yeah Cole and Joe were on different wave lengths, but it still was a decent enough match. Ruby vs. Britt was a good match. Ruby should have won though. But let Cole and Britt have their king and queen of the prom moment. I was glad to see the crowd thanking Martha considering what's been said about her over the years by some people. The speech went on a bit long, but she was having her moment for Owen so I can't say anything bad about it.

Rosa vs. Deeb made up for a lot of earlier in the show from what I was reading on twitter during the show. I liked it. I'm glad Rosa won

Skipping along to the Anarchy match, I didn't know what to expect from this but it was over exceeded expectations. Eddie Kingston looked like he survived a slasher move before they even got going. The Yankees shirt covered in blood was such a great visual.  It would have made more sense for the match to be falls count anywhere, but the ending with the chaos of the ring being taken apart worked. But that shot of Eddie stalking to the ring bleeding and carrying the gas can. That's an all time classic right there.

I was surprised how long the triple threat tag went. But despite that it was a good match. I was shocked that Jungle Boy and Luchasarus retained. I thought for sure Swerve and Keith Lee were going to win. I hope the feud between the three teams continues though.

Main event...I was fried by this point. Shocked it went so long. I think TK forgets about us on the east coast sometimes when doing these marathon shows. Despite that, I'm glad Punk won. I liked the ending with them reenacting Piper vs Hart. They need a heel announcer to have been all COME ON HANGMAN...WAFFLE HIM AND WAFFLE HIM GOOD. Maybe move Taz full time to the booth so JR can take on a Mean Gene hosting role.

Overall a good show. I'll watch the two matches I missed tomorrow.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Why the fuck is Darby Allin losing to some NXT wrestler

He's a full time employee signed for five years going forth. Anybody beating Darby after that first and most brutal tope is completely believable. All that said, I too question putting tag wrestler O'Reilly over Darby. Tho, I don't see Darby losing a whole lotta steam from this loss.

MJF working everyone right down to Carny Dave, who is so old-in-the-tooth he really should know better, was gorgeous. Chefs kiss (is that the phrase?) to the airplane motions to open the card off.

Ratings are stagnant so Punk needed to take the belt headed into network negotiations, that much was always obvious. Hangman is stale, they completely botched his run with all manner of weird uneven interactions, but ironically heel-Hangman actually hinted at salvaging it at-the-last so it would have been interesting to keep it on him .. but c'est la vie.

With the title on Punk, they've kind of played all their cards now though. Feud with Danielson presumably? That's the one that makes most sense in context of where they're at. Booking wise, they've otherwise put themselves into a bit of a quagmire. This UD/Elite stuff is all very messy. They're going to find that Wardlow isn't as over as people think when he isn't in a feud with MJF. As mentioned by others, they're way past the point of having needed to take the titles off JE now. The NXT "set" who the AEW originals legitimately beat in their little 'ratings war' now seem to have taken booking precedence. Yeah - tricky one to find a logical and balanced way forward for a lot of this stuff.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3

The finish to the ten man tag was off.

Again, took the heat off Kingston/Jericho for no real reason, Danielson lost on PPV for no real point (unless Danielson vs Hager is really up your alley), yes the heel team needs to win if its going to lead to Blood & Guts, but it's not the most productive way to get there because the heats all now on Kingston/Danielson rather than the faces needing revenge against the heels who stole a victory. Also, the JAS are by nature, a lame parody act. They didn't need to win this (again unless you really care about 2.0 and Hager more than I do).  It'd be like the BWO going over Sandman, Dreamer and the Eliminators in 97 ECW. 

• Like 1

Both trios matches were good to great too. 

The mixed one - everyone played their roles well, although it wasn't particularly clear why some of them existed in the first place. 

HOB/Death Triangle seem destined to fight each other for eternity. Do we at least split the Varsity Blondes and make it an 8 man tag next time around?

Women Thoughts!

—I was disappointed that Jade and Anna didn’t really show much progression at all from their first title match. Still a mixed bag with them.

—I thought Ruby was really good in the Owen final, but Britt’s opening segments continue to suck. It always takes so damn long for someone to just hit somebody. Ruby should definitely incorporate more Hiromu offense into her moveset; that could be a good comp for her.

—Rosa/Deeb really delivered. Loved the emphasis on trading holds. Good strong finish.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the House of Black/Death Triangle six man. There were some wonky parts, as there will be when so many guys are trying to do SO MUCH, but they stuck the landing.  Loved the bit where Death Triangle had Malakai cornered at the end, and then he just kicked two-thirds of their asses anyway. Real super villain shit. Hopefully he moves on to something fresh and cool now.

• Like 5

Incredible save job from Anarchy match on. Was ready to swear off buying AEW PPVs after taking a break before the women's title match to finish off work. Don't remember a crowd chilling and then coming back sustained like that before. Bless that brawl. MOTY so far. Tag match was great, Starks stole the show and Hobbs was not far behind. They need to get those belts fucking yesterday. Main was p great but Punk being too optimistic like he does kinda hurt it but I really enjoyed the intensity and two proud men story. KOR and Darby put on a great match but nobody was watching apparently. Jade match was probably the best of the women's matches but still not great. Big improvement from both. Stokely. Yes. Roosh. Fuck yes. Where is Claudio? Cup matches stunk. MJF match was fun and exactly what it should've been. Please don't let this be the end tho. 

• Like 6

Overall a pretty great show even with some stuff I didn't care for in the middle.

MJF/Wardlow went as expected and was a fun way to start the show. Thought Hardyz/Bucks was pretty good for what it was.

Thought Jade/Anna was disappointing and just a clusterfuck into the post-match. I'm probably the only one but I've never liked Stokely and his twitter comedian gimmick, couldn't stand him much. Originally I was disappointed after Jade's manager search ended up just settling with Smart Mark, but over time I thought they developed in to a really great pairing with a solid chemistry, so I absolutely hate to see if he's going to get tossed aside for this after doing great work together. Statlander got a nice pop and then Athena shows up which is a cool signing but the whole seg came off awkward. I can see Athena being the one that finally takes down Jade. 

Underwhelmed by the House of Black/Death Triangle finish. Feels long past the point of caring about the Julia Hart deal and the Varsity Blondes weren't even involved. Not doing the turn when it was teased was a miss. Felt like this was finally the match for Death Triangle to actually win. Buddy looked like Crazzy Steve in Decay paint out there. 

Cole/Joe was flat, predictable outcome and weird having three straight matches with interference. Absolutely loved Ruby getting her live theme performance. I was rooting for her to win it all since the Riho match and am sad that she just ends up taking yet another loss. Shocked that Britt even won clean, finish was solid. I like Britt, enjoyed this match, only hate that Ruby didn't win. Loved Excalibur covering Ruby's Sharpshooter by attributing it to her injured ribs throughout the match, totally bought that making sense. 

Trios match was just kinda there. Weirdly felt like ATT were working as faces at the end. Kyle/Darby was good stuff, another shocking clean finish. Still getting used to Kyle finishing people with a diving knee drop. 

Last 4 matches were all awesome. Loved Thunder/Serena, lived up to expectations. The early going reminded me of a match Serena had with Nikki Roxx back in the day. Nice decisive finish for Rosa with the Fire Thunder. Anarchy in the Asylum was absolutely insane. Marked out for WILD THING playing on, that was awesome. Jericho confirmed on the media scrum that they were calling back to New Jack with that.  Attempted murder via setting on fire and/or strangulation, zombie Kingston, crazy memorable match. Really liked the tag title match and Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus retaining yet again. I'm loving their reign the longer it goes, they always shine in these awesome defenses even when most people think they are going to lose then they pull out the unexpected win. Still love their double team finish, some great near falls here. Rush arrival was a cool unexpected moment to throw in. 

Great main event from Hangman and Punk. Dug the Bret/Piper callback. Thought Punk messing up on the Punkshot Lariat kinda added to the story, the first attempt played perfectly in to Hangman then trying the GTS and the second attempt factored into an injured knee to be part of the story. Cool win and moment that felt emotional for Punk. 

POST Show: Absolutely hilarious bit on the media scrum when someone brings up Bischoff calling Punk the biggest financial flop. Tony goes off about how Punk set every god damn record on every fuckin pay per view, wrestled all these different fucking opponents, and he won the fucking Friday Night War!!! ask Jerry McDevitt!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, DreamBroken said:

POST Show: Absolutely hilarious bit on the media scrum when someone brings up Bischoff calling Punk the biggest financial flop. Tony goes off about how Punk set every god damn record on every fuckin pay per view, wrestled all these different fucking opponents, and he won the fucking Friday Night War!!! ask Jerry McDevitt!!

This fucking ruled. I'm still at the Punk section... Has anybody asked about Jeff Hardy? Dude looked FUCKED. 

Did anybody ask about MJF or did they just continue to kiss ass? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

This fucking ruled. I'm still at the Punk section... Has anybody asked about Jeff Hardy? Dude looked FUCKED. 

Did anybody ask about MJF or did they just continue to kiss ass? 

Nothing about Hardy. Someone brought up MJF but Tony right away said he would not comment on that. 

• Like 3

Kwame Ture going to get googled an awful lot with people calling Stokely "Carmichael" by accident. One of the few men in history a better talker than Hathaway. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1