DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/27/2022

Rampage 7:30 am tomorrow, Japan time. Check your local listings. Don't you dare miss it! Lock the windows and bar the doors! etc.

Ruby vs Statlander to see who meets DMD in the ladies Owen finals. I am digging this powerhouse former alien version of Statlander! I am not buying into the "Britt and Bay Bay are both gonna win the Owen" predictions trend.

I gotta work on Monday so I will have to avoid spoilers and try to catch Double or Nothing after the fact.

AmDrag vs Evan Bourne! I feel like that has to have been a dream match for someone at some point. 

Young Bucks vs A Mystery Tag Team Who Will It Be I Hope Workhorsemen or Bear Country. Or maybe Silver and Reynolds?

Plus we get to see Scorpio Sky's new belt! My autocorrect wants his name to be Scorpion. Weird, because my autocorrect is full of wrestling names. If I type American it assumes the next word will be Dragon. If I type "Ka" it knows that "wada" is probably coming next.

Oh, hey, @John from Cincinnati you are quite correct in pointing out that expressing a preference is not the same as complaining. That's an excellent point.

Also, to be clear: The joy I take in pro wrestling is in no way performative. Watching and discussing AEW and Japanese wrestling and old matches and so on very often genuinely and sincerely fills my middle-aged heart with true happiness.

So do lots of other things. I suppose I am quite easily amused, and also quite frequently delighted by relatively simple pleasures. I had a cup of green tea last week that damn near brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Enjoy the show!

Edit: Had a look on cagematch. This will apparently be Danielson and Sydal's third singles match. (FIP 2006, ROH 2007).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Matt Sydel versus Bryan Danielson for the first time in 15 years!  Daniekson is a FORCE OF NATURE.  So fucking good.  Matt Sydel is feeling the moment.  I love the commentary- Starks and Lord Regal are solid gold.  Beautiful roll through the Meteora into a fucking AWESOME Half Crab into a Knee Bar.  Man, Danielson is so fucking awesome.  HOLY SHIT!  AWESOME TOPROPE POWERBOMB by Sydel for two!  Oh my GOD,  this match was fucking great.  Who gets to follow THAT?  Ah, the Hardy Bucks!  Nick Jackson wrestling like Jeff Hardy is pretty great.  I love that he did the 2022 Swanton Bomb.   Gangrel whiffs on the kick but hits his Black Cat DDT.  The Ass Boys are astoundingly great.  Dante Martin is the AEW Matt Riddle- in that he is eternally a face in peril.  Picture in Picture is all about the figure four.  Max Caster is totally channeling Ric Flair, working on  the knee.  Caster looks better than I can remember, beating on Dante.  Caster hits Vertical Suplex LIKE RIC FLAIR!  Dante goes on offense and needs to work on his striking.  Martin hits the nosedive!  For the first time, Max  Caster is the best thing in a match.  Not that it was a great match or anything.  So Dan Lambert and MOTY are definitely faces now.  Yes.  They are faces.  Kris Statlander is Doctor Death Steve Williams.  Ruby Soho is telling a story as she goes for Stat's bad knee!  NICE LARIAT by Stat.  Picture in Picture is all about the Davey Boy Smith Vertical Suplex.  Stat is suddenly awesome.  Sweet Powerslam by Stat.  This match is good.  Great nearfall!  Ruby with a roll up!  The crowd isn't having it.  That was good.  Two good matches- I'll take it.  AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sydal's avalanche powerbomb on Bryan was epic. A match he had no chance in but still a great near fall.

Huge pop for GANGREL! Bucks' impression was amusing, Nick especially was spot on in a few of Jeff's movements.

DESTINATION UNKNOWN! Been pulling for Ruby to win this and hope she pulls it off in the final even if it is unlikely. Would love to see Ruby come back around full circle to beating Britt after Britt mocked her losses when she lost the TBS final. Too bad the crowd wasn't with her in the post-match, felt bad for her then, but hope they come around for the PPV.

Fun show overall. As predicted, we got the TNT Title feud in there somehow - I like that they included Kazarian in it. Tonight there was more an emphasis on Kazarian and Sammy not exactly getting along so I imagine that will come in to play. Also glad to get a Darby match in there one way or another.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

Danielson vs Bourne had so many nifty reversals!

That whole Young Hardyz presentation was just beautiful. Particularly the Matt Facts and Brandon dressed as Lita. I was too impressed to actually laugh. SCTV used to do that to me, sometimes.

Caster vs Dante suffered a bit for me because I couldn't help comparing it to the Danielson opener. That being said, I love seeing AEW's younger wrestlers getting time to shine on the network shows. Everyone gets the chance to look good on TV.

I was kinda hoping for Stat to win because I think AEW Originals should go over WWE refugees more often. I feel like I wasn't alone in that today. On the other hand, Statlander is leaning kinda heelish now and Ruby vs DMD is a more classic good vs evil match-up. 

Also, the wrestling was good! Stat is the Terry Gordy of AEW's women's division.

I really want the faces to win the Owen tournament matches. An online friend disagreed because "Owen was the best heel" which is true enough... but for me when I think of Owen it's Stampede Owen, not WWF Owen. And he was a hero in Stampede. 

Go Joe! Go Ruby!

13 matches is a lot.

Hooray! More pro wrestling!

KOR vs Darby should be sick!

Here's to American Team of the Year winning and putting an end to the Sammy feud. Although, I guess I wouldn't mind if it set up Tay vs PVZ and Sammy & Kaz vs MOTY... or maybe Sammy vs Kaz next? That could be really fun.

Regal on commentary is a treasure.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Also, the wrestling was good! Stat is the Terry Gordy of AEW's women's division.

Kris Statlander IS the Miracle Violence Connection!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

They are taping Dark right now I’m in the crowd but Rampage was a blast and a half hope it came off that way on TV.

I just caught the first match but the crowd was pretty hot.

• Like 2

Just now, Matt D said:

I just caught the first match but the crowd was pretty hot.

Still pretty hot, Diamonte got chants during the trios match she’s involved. Crowds happy to be here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even though I feel it should have been Statlander who won the match, Soho did it very convincingly and put up a helluva match. I'm going to assume she read that scouting report that Red Velvet gave her.

• Like 7

This has to be up there as one of the best Rampages ever right? It's almost like being live with a fresh crowd makes it... more enjoyable? lol

Sydal vs Danielson was great. The Bucks match / segement was amazing. How did that not make Dynamite? So good. From Gangrel to Cutler as Lita with the thong. Just a great little bit of business. Acclaimed were as over as I've ever remember seeing them. Dante got to look good. Ruby vs Stat was dope too. One of the best women's matches they've had lately.

So Ruby is screwed right? It's not her fault. That pre match promo turned this into AEW vs outsiders angle. That crowd wanted a Statlander win real bad. Especially after that promo. Ruby is great, just wrong place wrong time. Because now it's her vs the ultimate AEW woman at the PPV in front of this same city. That AEW vs outsider theme is going to continue x10.

13 match PPV counting the Buy In. That is.... excessive. But fuck it man, if the crowd is as hyped Sunday as it was tonight it's going to eb a fun ass show.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

So Dan Lambert and MOTY are definitely faces now.  Yes.  They are faces.

They said AEW fans have fat girlfriends!

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess it was either Lita or 1999 Michael Hayes for Cutler fashion choices

FP7JGw_XoAcm15O.jpg:large

Definitely Lita. He was wearing a thong. ?

Great show. Sydal's best match ever and maybe Ruby's (though the one with Riho probably edges it out).

Edited by Dog
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Statlander was robbed. 

This. I was hoping for Baker vs. Statlander. Baker/Statlander's match at All Out 2021 is underrated. Really liked that match with Orange Cassidy showing emotion cheering Kris to get back into the ring and the unexpected Pittsburgh Sunrise.  

• Like 5