DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/25/2022

I'm like 90% sure that Hangman's verbiage was intended to be an extremely opaque way of saying "I am friends with Colt Cabana and I do not care for your actions." Maybe I'm wrong, but that weird line about workers' rights kinda made the lightbulb go off in my head, YMMV

• Like 6

Lot of good stuff on this show. MJF’s red attire was “chefs kiss” perfect. That was everything it needed to be. Wardlow is a STAR. 
JAS/BCC & the boys is going to absolutely rule. Mox is still in the bad habit of giving inferior opponents too much offense, but that match set up what it needed to.

God I hope Punk doesn’t win. AEW needs another 40+ year old former wwe champ like it needs another 20 folks on its roster. I thought Page’s promo was good. 

I liked Thunder Rosa’s “Crazy Miguel’s Used Cars” getup. The promo needed some work but again, English isn’t her first language. Rosa got hot at the right time and helped carry this company through the pandemic. If they switch the title from her to Deeb so Deeb can drop it to Soho or Storm or Statlander, that would make sense. 

That 3 way match absolutely fornicated. It was awesome. I will say this until it stops needing to be said, but imagine having Jungle Boy, Swerve Strickland, and Stroke Daddy Starks on your payroll and turning around and building your program around adam Cole and his sawed off boring ass friends. That’s like going to the nicest steakhouse in the city and ordering the chicken nuggets off the kids menu. Just absolutely horrifying. 

Samoa Joe rules. In a fair and just world he would stomp adam Cole into baloney pudding and reign forever with his Owen trophy. But we live not in a just world. We live in a world where adam Cole and Britt baker are going to be handed yet another opportunity to lead this program into blinding generic mediocrity. Like the homecoming king and queen at a high school with the worst football team ever.  This shit should be considered a hate crime.

Mostly good show. Oh yeah! I forgot. Jeff Cobb fucking rules. And it was cool of his tag partner to take time off from trying to kill Flash Gordon to be a part of AEW…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That cage match was note perfect.  Simply booked and exactly what you'd expect.  Pro wrestling is not hard.  

LOL @ MJF's Burberry ref stripes and Shawn Michaels tribute grape smuggling shorts.

Spears wearing the same facemask as half the edgelord tryhards on GTA Online.

JR shitting on WWF cage match stips of "run away to win" was great.

LOOOOL at Wardlow yeeting that one dude into the netherworld abyss.

The Page Punk promo segment was weird.  Good emotion but the content was so incredibly non-specific and I have no idea what's supposed to be the point.  When the announcers are working harder to tell your program's story than you are, that's an issue.  Like others have said, Page is defending AEW from Punk why?  We needed a lot more here.  Just fucking weird.

Jungle Boy needs to wear that belt on his shoulder.  Around his waist we get a ROH Showdown in Motown situation and we don't need that.

I popped for Jeff Cobb coming in.  That was unexpected.  When you never do DQ run ins, you can do effective DQ run ins.  The Great O'Khan was not so great.  Is his gimmick that he can hypnotize guys into putting themselves through tables?  Because there was no contact between his hand on FTR #2 on that face claw.

I hope Kingston stays with that gear.  It looked cool.

Marq Quen's dyed beard makes him look 65.

Caprice!  That's awesome.

No makeup AND shoot names being uttered.  Oh shit Deeb gonna die.

Statlander going from unbooked to going all the way?  Yes please!  I'm a little tired of Ruby already even if she just had her best match so far vs Riho.  And Soho vs Baker again would just be meh.

I'd be cool with Page beating Punk and then losing it to Wardlow because that guy is hot as fuck right now.

This Week in Alternative Medicine: Tony and Excalibur explain cupping!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9

Man, Joe/KOR was real good. I’ve been kind of worried about Joe working longer matches, given the way he’s quickly turned various shades of Lesnar in his first few matches in AEW, but he seemed to get his wind back a bit here. Loved Kyle’s dogged pursuit of Joe’s arm and how that paid off in the finish.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Punk-Hangman dynamic is fascinating. Hangman is presenting himself as defending AEW from CM Punk. But what is he protecting the promotion from? Punk's formerly villainous nature? Someone who isn't an AEW original who might steal the identity of the promotion from a gatekeeper like himself? Someone who's more popular? His grievances are unspecific and unsatisfying. But the cheers for his grievances imply maybe Vegas AEW fans want a gatekeeper champion? Very strange. 

He's insecure. He's jealous. He's a gatekeeper. 

I was wondering this myself. If Hangman's beef is that he thinks Punk believes he's entitled to a top of the card spot just because Punk is some big name veteran making a return after several years rather than home-grown talent who's been grinding in the trenches like Hangman has, he should have been more clear on that. If that's the story they wanted to tell then honestly it's not that bad of an angle. I think the match will be fine, but Page's title reign hasn't done much for me. Sure his chase and the blowoff match with Omega told a great story, but since then he just hasn't felt like a big deal.

The Wardlow cage match was exactly what it needed to be. Wardlow has that rare combo of size and physicality but actually able to work and project a real presence.

The FTR/RV was fine up until the end. They really should have saved this for the Dynamite after the PPV considering the finish served to set up a Forbidden Door match. I wasn't familiar with Cobb's partner and the run in itself felt a little flat.

That three way match was probably the best I've seen Starks look. I'd love to see a Jungle Boy/Swerve match as the two of them had fantastic chemistry and could have a great program.

Joe/KOR kicked ass and would have been better as the finals for the tournament. Joe needs to ragdoll Cole a la Brock/Cena in under five minutes at the PPV.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

This Week in Alternative Medicine: Tony and Excalibur explain cupping!

I liked O'Khan's explanation better.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Between O'Khan and O'Reilly, I haven't seen such wonderful Irish representation on a show since the days of O'Kada vs O'Mega.

With their manager, Patty O'Furniture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Of course!  First Irishman you see in the springtime.

Allright, what the fuck is going on here?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, just drew said:

That 3 way match absolutely fornicated. It was awesome. I will say this until it stops needing to be said, but imagine having Jungle Boy, Swerve Strickland, and Stroke Daddy Starks on your payroll and turning around and building your program around adam Cole and his sawed off boring ass friends. That’s like going to the nicest steakhouse in the city and ordering the chicken nuggets off the kids menu. Just absolutely horrifying. 

Samoa Joe rules. In a fair and just world he would stomp adam Cole into baloney pudding and reign forever with his Owen trophy. But we live not in a just world. We live in a world where adam Cole and Britt baker are going to be handed yet another opportunity to lead this program into blinding generic mediocrity. Like the homecoming king and queen at a high school with the worst football team ever.  This shit should be considered a hate crime.

? I love you. Took the words right out of my mouth. 

• Like 3

THURSDAY REWATCH REFLECTIONS:  Shawn Spears should win an emmy for his reactions to hitting MJF with the chair.  So subtle, so empathetic.  Wardlow is like the Conan the Barbarian of pro wrestling.  Know too, oh prince, that the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities... Daddy Magic uses the term "bozo" and it is better than the WIZARD throwing a fireball.  During picture in picture of the Moxley/Kingston, it felt like they planted some 1995 FMW footage in the little screen.  Isiah Kassidy never screams like a little girl and think that threw the whole episode off.  I love that Eddie Kingston hobbles four times as much as Bryan Danielson during our epic pull apart.  Lord Regal making the Slice Your Cheek motion while Excalibur is creating a wall of words about Draft Kings is fucking MANLY.  FTR make the ROH titles the actual world titles because they look like the world champions when they wear the belts.  Caprice Coleman is so much better than the rest of the commentator team.  He's like Excalibur in getting over the story and information about the match but not as nerdy.  Dax Harwood knows this isn't an actual match but a set-up for a bigger match so he is on auto pilot, so he is still the best wrestler on earth just not a fired up best wrestler on earth.  FTR really gets Rappongi Vice over right before the run-in.  I hate three ways and the three way was the most impressive thing on this episode so that made me not love this episode as much as I usually would.  During the picture in picture,  Starks does a really great British Bulldog Delayed Vertical Suplex. I think the big take away from the three way is that these three guys need singles runs.  JR did that strange thing of putting over Jungle Boy taking an Irish Whip to his sternum by saying it reminds him of Bret Hart. KAYFABE, ROSS!  I love Shane Strickland because he definitely plays to the back of the room.  I dig how they use the Snare Trap to allow Strickland to recover from the Rochambeau.  Toni Storm amd Britt Baker worked a 1975 Mid-Atlantic Studio wrestling head scissors section.  Storm wanted to make the outside the ring part better but Baker isn't Jamie Hayter and doesn't bump big enough.   Kyle O'Riley is fucking awesome.  He had this match against Samoa Joe, which is more his style and just last week had that match against Rey Fenix in a totally foreign style.  I don't think Joe is winning against Adam Cole.  It seems like new additions have to put over older additions before going over, thus Storm puts over Baker, Punk puts over MJF,  Danielson puts over Hangman- THUS Joe puts over Cole.  IT'S MATH. PEOPLE!

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, DEAN said:

During picture in picture of the Moxley/Kingston, it felt like they planted some 1995 FMW footage in the little screen. 

If you’re rewatching it, why aren’t you rewatching the international feed?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If you’re rewatching it, why aren’t you rewatching the international feed?

I have no access to the INTERNATIONAL FEED~!