DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/25/2022

I was literally in Rochester NY last night eating Dinosaur Bar-B-Cue so that being mentioned popped me.

Cobb/O'Khan showing up was neat until everything got blown. Botches are a part of wrestling but maaaaaan can they deflate a segment. 

Both OHC matches rocked.

Edit: I forgot to mention MJF's phenomenal thighs. Max Caster backstage biting his knuckle...

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4

Sorry I'm late.  Went to dinner with the family and mother-in-law at Cracker Barrel (chicken pot pie.)  Wardlow does the breaking of the handcuffs!  Everybody on the board pops!  This is a very WWE style match but the crowd is pretty HOT for it.  Wardlow and MJF at the PPV!  Security leans into punches in the face!  What promotion in Las Vegas are they from?  That was fun.  Wardlow is what you call OVER.  THE WIZARD FIREBALLS A GUY!  CM Punk tweeted about Texas earlier today so I don't know if his heart is in it tonight.  Hangman is into it.  CM Punk nuts up and goes through with the promo.  That's how you sell the PPV.   I love Moxley and Kingston's entrance.  Jesus, Private Party got wrangled into some shit.  Marq Quinn takes an assbeating.  God, picture in picture looks fucking insane.  I see that Eddie is OPTING to match Moxley's insanity outside the ring.  Quinn bumps like a psycho.  SWEET SHOOTING STAR PRESS by Marq Quinn!  JEEBUS! WHAT A LARIAT BY MOXLEY!  Great fucking finish.  The pull apart is FABULOUS!  Danielson and Jericho are MAGIC!  I had almost forgotten about Rappongi Vice versus FTR.  I await Trent versus Dax Harwood and so do you, I would assume.   AWESOME!  They start with Cash and Romero so we can be filled with anticipation!  THEN! THEY TAG!  Oh man, they are laying it in!   Caprice Coleman is good as the ROH historian.  Man, Trent is so good.  Rocky Romero is too New Japan junior style to seem to be much of a threat to Dax fucking Harwood.  Harwood then immediately crushes Rocky with a punch to the face.  Dax Harwood is the best wrestler on earth?   Maybe. Great O'KHAN! JEFF COBB!  Makes for a crappy finish.  FTR vs Jeff Cobb will be good.  Oh hope that wasn't to set up a three way.  Powerhouse Hobbs vs Jeff Cobb would be better.  Hardys ON THE STICK!  Speaking of three ways- zoinks!  Any of these guys in a singles match together would be really fun.  Three ways suck because the psychology is all fucked up- it's always halfway between a singles match and a tag match so the heat is all weird and becomes a collection of spots without anybody getting any heat on anyone or battling back against anyone or anything that makes a match a good match.  Well, anyway, I guess I'll watch.  There are a lot of cool spots- especially Swerve Strickland rolling through a Superplex.  Shane Strickland pull out the win - so by WWE booking, Jurrasic Express RETAINS!  But this is AEW so you never know.  KEITH LEE WITH A PISCADA!  FUCKING AWESOME!  Thunder Rosa is OVER!  She is kinda heelish on THE STICK talking shit about Serena Deeb talking about the horrible shit she went through in the WWE.  TONI STORM!  BRITT BAKER!  I remember Baker tweet a picture of Toni Storm the day after she walked out of WWE.  I assume she has been looking forward to this.  After the commercial Toni LAYS IT IN!  Baker does a nice reversal of the Storm Zero with an Air Raid Crash.  This is pretty good.  Baker cheats a little to win!  They should have these two feud.  The heat is there.  Now let's get that title on Toni Storm.  I'm guessing Statlander wins it all?   Samoa Joe and Kyle O'Riley is going to be STIFF!  Joe beats on KOR early.  KOR is fun on offense.  Great leg sweep by Joe.  Nice lariat by Joe.  JOE!  Joe is OVER.  KOR procures the Fujiwara Armbar!  This match is good.  Samoa Joe channels DUSTY RHODES and APPLIES THE SLEEPER FOR THE WIN!  That was a good show.  Moxley and Kingston vs the Private Party was the best.  A lot of tonight was to set up stuff down the line which is fine.  Jeff Cobb showing up was awesome .  AEW RULES THE WORLD!    

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You know I really don't mind Baker going over here because now it really cements Statlander winning in my mind. (I don't see anyway Soho is going over).

Also enjoyed Page's promo turning it from defending the title against Punk to defending AEW from him, that had some heat.

The show was great but that opener... that was sports entertainment at it's finest and I loved it.

Edit: Great O-Khan showing up also ruled

Edited by porksweats
  • Like 3

Loved the opening. Monster pops for Wardlow all the way through. MJF selling the chair shot to the SKULL! was the best. Wardlow standing atop the cage in the same spot that Cody stood 2 years ago was cool.

Punk/Hangman promo was fire. Feel like this has gotten to a proper big match feel now and I'm very much looking forward to their match.

Cobb & O-Khan showing up ruled, had a great sense of unpredictability to it. I was immediately thinking of ways they can get the IWGP tags on FTR at Forbidden Door through some multi-team matchup. Great set up for interesting stuff to come.

Dug the Hardys promo. Middle-aged and XTREME! Three way was good stuff, nice win for Swerve, and the post-match chaos was fun too. 

Good stuff from the top two matches. I'm rooting for the underdog and pulling for Ruby to win it all. Adam Cole definitely wins but Joe looked good here in victory. Looking forward another stacked PPV

• Like 4

I know the cage setup takes times etc but after the first match, the only place was down. The pop for Wardlow was insane.  Wardlow on top of the cage - what a incredible visual. And Shawn Spears deserves alot of credit for his part in this. Should have ended the show

• Like 3

Wardlow is SO OVER! Wow! It was hard not to start popping at home. Also damn, I hope that local enhancement dude is okay, nasty cage bump. Best use of the cage in that match until the final visual. Wardlow needs some gold by the end of the year.

Hangman-Punk was intense in a slow build way. Verged at time on being a little too insidery, but hearing the crowd go from booing Hangman to cheering after he made his stand for AEW was cool, and then Punk really getting into his head at the end.

Mox-King vs Private Party was more competitive than I expected, great brawling, PP know how to really take offense. Best Shooting Star Press I’ve seen in a while. The Danielson injury angle is interesting in terms of evening the perceived odds, although Jericho being a wizard might be a hidden advantage.

Trent is sneaky maybe a top ten guy in AEW. Great match, especially when Trent and Dax were wailing on each other. Jeff Cobb is a scary looking dude.

Not sure of this is where the Hardys backstage segment was, I think it was at this point in the show, but it was excellent.

Loved the triple threat, they all really gelled and played well off each other, felt very smooth. Highlights being Swerve throwing JB from a shoulder carry onto Starks for a huracanrana, and then Swerve landing on his feet on the super poison rana attempt. Aubrey Edwards was agog in the background. And then Lee doing his over the top rope move! Helpful to have two huge strong dudes there to catch.

Thunder Rosa does a decent job to remind us that she actually has a match at the PPV and we should be interested in it. Crowd loves her. No makeup was nice touch.

Storm and Baker was solid, they messed up the ending a bit with Hayter. Or actually getting there to help DMD, making her grab the rope instead. I was honestly a little surprised to DMD go over, I won’t believe that they have Stat or Ruby go over her, and I have a sick feeling we’re going to get Bay Bay and DMD as winners.

Finally, Joe-KOR was stiffer than my back is going to be tomorrow after doing 10 hours of metal detecting and digging holes for work. Good lord they just laid in everything. My MOTN.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This was a fun show tonight. There really wasnt anything bad about it. I loved Wardlow popping off the cuffs. MJF is going to get murdered at the PPV in an old Bobby Heenan-esq fashion and it will be so fun to watch. I loved the ending with MJF getting laid out with the chair and Spears being all "oh shit".

I kinda feel sorry for Hangman because I think it's pretty clear he's gonna lose the title. But that was a hell of a promo on Punk tonight and I would be pleasantly surprised if he retains.

Mox/Kingston vs. Private Party was a fun match. Private Party got some good offense in despite getting killed by Mox and Eddie. The post match brawl was fun. I think this Anarachy in the Arena brawl is going to be something special. Just a good ten minutes of mayhem.

Cobb and O'Khan showing up was great. I suppose we're getting a three way at Forbidden Door based on that. I wish Cobb would be a regular in AEW, but I guess he makes too much in Japan to want to do that.

Thunder Rosa sold me on her match with Deeb. Can't believe they tried to play her off though.

The double main event was pretty good. I figured Britt would win because they obviously are setting up for Statlander and her. I can't see them going with Britt/Ruby in the final.

Joe vs. Kyle was a banger of a match. I knew Kyle wouldn't win, but he sure did make it compelling up till the end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Speaking of three ways- zoinks!  Any of these guys in a singles match together would be really fun.  Three ways suck because the psychology is all fucked up- it's always halfway between a singles match and a tag match so the heat is all weird and becomes a collection of spots without anybody getting any heat on anyone or battling back against anyone or anything that makes a match a good match.  

Well said.

The logic of this MJF-Wardlow storyline is absurd, but it's hard to argue with success. I'm all here for the Wizard, but not sure I'm down with the effect of flippantly fireballing. Tho, Kingston's post fireball make-up one week, none the next, also didn't do the Memphis Gold Standard any justice. Hangman floundered on the promo until nailing it with the 'doing it for AEW' talk. Game for the 'Nothing' Main. I dig Jade and I think Anna has great potential, but it's another good reason to watch the PPV on tape delay (and make some cuts) rather than burning out over the suspected 4 hours and 45 mintues! I was hoping for more of a bulldozing from Mox/King - I'll look forward to this on second view. Caprice Coleman joining in for the ROH tag title bout was a much needed breath of fresh air. FTR-Rappongi was good until the run-in-fuck-finish!? The botches, most notably between Khan/Trent, made it even less satisfying. Cobb and FTR are a nice pairing. Matt Hardy rambling on like an asshole suggests they're the heels!? A lot of big potential well loved players in the 3 way during and after the bout. The Lambert/MOTY/Sammy stuff is a bit baffling. Thunder Rosa seems like a nice lady. She's charismatic and I like her fire. She's also an inconsistent, often weak in ring performer. And an awful promo. The promos on these shows over the past couple of weeks suggests writers aren't the worst idea. It's not a great feeling watching a clearly better wrestler lose to a considerably weaker wrestler, but it was expected that the coasting DMD would move passed Toni. I want to care about Britt Baker v Statlander or Ruby Soho, but I really don't. Loved Joe-O'Reilly and looking forward to seeing how Cole-Joe plays out. I'm not without some complaints (rambling promos) this eve, but still a fine evening of pro wrestling.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

The Punk-Hangman dynamic is fascinating. Hangman is presenting himself as defending AEW from CM Punk. But what is he protecting the promotion from? Punk's formerly villainous nature? Someone who isn't an AEW original who might steal the identity of the promotion from a gatekeeper like himself? Someone who's more popular? His grievances are unspecific and unsatisfying. But the cheers for his grievances imply maybe Vegas AEW fans want a gatekeeper champion? Very strange. 

He's insecure. He's jealous. He's a gatekeeper. 

Spoiler

@GordlowAre people "complaining" about the outcome of this match, or are they expressing a preference? Isn't having a preference a desirable outcome? Doesn't it imply investment? What are you complaining about? ? 

• Like 5

Push Wardlow to the moon. Make him TNT champ and have him run unbeaten for as long as you can.

I think Hangman nailed his side of that promo but Punk cut his legs off going back to the "why you taking this personally?" stuff. I think Punk should have acknowledged that AEW is Page's house and then gone straight into the "shake my hand" portion.

Ricky Starks >>> Sammy Guevara. This guy is everything that a "high flying heel" should be. He hits the move, gets a pop, but hold on it long enough to be an arrogant ass. I love it.

I hope Statlander is a shock winner for the Women's side. Give her a TBS series vs Jade and you know what? Statlander can be Cargill's Kryptonite going forward.

Please don't let Cole win. Hoping for Switchblade interference leading to Undisputed Elite v Bullet Club at Forbidden Door.

Cant wait for Double or Nothing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Punk-Hangman dynamic is fascinating. Hangman is presenting himself as defending AEW from CM Punk. But what is he protecting the promotion from? Punk's formerly villainous nature? Someone who isn't an AEW original who might steal the identity of the promotion from a gatekeeper like himself? Someone who's more popular? His grievances are unspecific and unsatisfying. But the cheers for his grievances imply maybe Vegas AEW fans want a gatekeeper champion? Very strange. 

He's insecure. He's jealous. He's a gatekeeper. 

Reveal hidden contents

@GordlowAre people "complaining" about the outcome of this match, or are they expressing a preference? Isn't having a preference a desirable outcome? Doesn't it imply investment? What are you complaining about? ? 

Agreed. This is missing a step or two in how we arrived here and why. A simple "Eddie Kingston was right" would have sufficed instead of all the vague inferences and allusions.

Gotta say I've really loved how well they've used Ricky Starks the past month or so. Guy can go in the ring. if MJF goes - giving Starks that spot isn't the worst trade off. Him and Hobbs have been tearing it up on the midcards, been a great use of these 6 guys and that was a fun match.

Jeff Cobb and "his partner" debut.....what a whiff. As was the seemingly botched finish in Storm/Baker with Hayter out of position. 

Private Party took a beating and it was highly enjoyable as a result. That lariat needs more replay time. 

I'm starting to enjoy Red Velvet more and more - the heel turn has been a welcome change. Thunder Rosa's promo was.....glass half full not as bad as Deeb's, glass half empty poses questions why she dresses like your friend's mom post divorce. That hat was some Peggy Hill energy. Otherwise, this is at best, the third most important womens program they've got going at the moment.

King of the Hill S7 - 05 - Dances With Dogs - video Dailymotion 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Still have to watch the second half of the show.  Old people going to bed early.  

Y’all are slacking.  I half expected somebody to call out MJFs embarrassing HBK ref shorts and the Summerslam 97 finish with the chair shot.  

Bran-don  so smark.  S-M-R-K!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

video of the security guys going into the cage to stop Wardlow

FreeDismalCommabutterfly-size_restricted

Said it before but Wardlow has killed indie wrestling more than Vince ever could.   At this rate they will have to bring actual backyarders to keep this gimmick up

• Haha 2

Menard is like the shitbird sidekick for every Hanna Barbera cartoon villain ever and I'm here for it. After the PA took the fireball I fully expect a Smart Mark Sterling commercial for assistance with unsafe work environment cases. Works on contingency? No, money down!

Speaking of fireballs, I see Jericho trying to do it again to Kingston, only this time he's ready for it and uses a can of butane to get his heat back. Figuratively and literally.

The show layout was odd... it almost feels like they could've run every segment in the complete opposite order. I think Wardlow atop the cage staring down MJF would've been way more effective than the Joe/Cole staredown.

• Like 9

If I had to wager a guess I'd say they knew that having to lower and set up the cage would exacerbate their time management problems so they said 'fuck it' and ran it first.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

If I had to wager a guess I'd say they knew that having to lower and set up the cage would exacerbate their time management problems so they said 'fuck it' and ran it first.

I would assume it was no commercial breaks ratings ploy.

• Like 1