DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/20/2022

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

and not a moment too soon.

wrestling's best when there's a variety of styles up and down the card, and every wrestler should come up with a little something only they can do or they can do better than anyone else.  Any time Statlander wants to evoke the Davey Boy Smith/Scott Steiner tradition of "I'm going to pick you up and show off how long I can hold you there" is the right time.  Especially as a counterweight to how much AEW can skew towards the flippy.

Hopefully in her next match Dark Strat gets a nice long delayed vertical suplex preferably with some deep knee bends 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

That Bryan thing doesn't seem like a work to me

It was absolutely a work. If it were a shoot, it'd take 5 seconds to get out of.

Wrestling was good tonight but I liked all the little character moments throughout the show the best.

Austin Gunn’s “Paw paw” and then getting shoved over by Billy.

Hookhauksen/Nese/Sterling training montage. Mark Sterling is great in general, the way he pops up in every other segment during shows.

Tay and Sammy instantly going into intense kissing when the camera was on Reservoir Kazarian was hilarious. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Moxley sitting on the apron and trying to push open the ramp with his heels like he's Captain America or The Hulk was definitely a work.

For sure. No point making it into something and then blowing it straight off. Sell it all the way to the back, what a pro!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, just drew said:

I really liked this show. The only thing that bothered me, and I will concede that this is a matter of personal taste, is having to miss out on HOB's entrance just so there would be time for the Jacksons and the Alleged Elite to remind us how much more important they are than anything else happening on the show. 

The opening match of Rampage NEVER has ring entrances on the show. They're always on YouTube, premiering just before the show starts:

Three months ago, this happened:

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm still not sure how we went from Danhausen trying and failing to curse Hook, messing with Hook's chips, and now they're buddies. 

Vile didn't you watch? Hook's beefing with Tony and Smart Mark and saved Danhausen who was getting got by them!

It's all on the weekly programming man. /s

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm still not sure how we went from Danhausen trying and failing to curse Hook, messing with Hook's chips, and now they're buddies. 

Hook has this casual Too Cool For The Room vibe that I think makes him Evil Orange Cassidy and eventually the natural foil to the same.

Since Cassidy has the extended Best Friends by his side, Hook needs to assemble his own found family of EVIL~! goofs to keep up the parallel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Great stuff with Velvet and Statlander and then the post match shenanigans. I always liked pluckly underdog Velvet but I'm enjoying her in the Baddies too. 

The jump of Velvet to the baddies might be the biggest invigoration of a talent joining a group in AEW this year beyond Yuta's BCC initiation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Assclaimed don't even need matches to steal the show at this point. Heel Velvet is so significantly better than generic face Velvet. Still need to catch the main event but fun show up to that point with one exception. Scorpio stuff feels like it's from another promotion or something and not in the good way. At least they are mostly trying with him for the time being so when he gets depushed back to Dark there can't be complaints. Far cry from the days of Miro. I miss him so. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

Ah I can't not say it... Can't believe they dropped the ball with HOOK this early. Incredibly disappointing and sad. He isn't past the point of salvaging but his aura has been tarnished by this bullshit. Start the recovery off by having him drop Danhausen on his stack of dimes he calls a neck at the ppv. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Ah I can't not say it... Can't believe they dropped the ball with HOOK this early. Incredibly disappointing and sad. He isn't past the point of salvaging but his aura has been tarnished by this bullshit. Start the recovery off by having him drop Danhausen on his stack of dimes he calls a neck at the ppv. 

Yeah, quick win raises both stock, then he drops Hausen and shrugs off to his next program (a returning Orange Cassidy? who knows how long he's on the shelf) but it's logical and a good high profile, tie it in with Team Taz potentially beefing with Roppongi Vice and the extended Best Friends.

Unrelated sidenote: I just really want to thank you guys for welcoming me to the board, it feels nice to be a part of something.

• Like 10

SATURDAY MORNING REWATCH:  Let us reflect en lieu of reacting, shall we.  Evil Uno steps up to the plate and becomes the AEW Super Strong Machine.  Uno and Preston Vance should have more matching masks.  I love that Uno is upset that Fuego tags in.  It's like a whole back story of Dark Order getting roped into Fuego's problem.  House of Black is such a great fucking faction.  Every corner of style of wrestling is covered like the Four Hofsemen- Black is Flair (champion), Matthews is Tully and Arn (workers who sell), King is Sid Vicious/Barry Windham (bruising stud).  If you replace Fuego with Jon Silver, HoB vs DO is a feud with legs.  Brodie King is so fucking awesome.  So made for giant arenas.  I laffed again at Austin Gunn saying PaPA.  Solid GOLD!   Dax Harwood is over how Arn Anderson got over- sheer intensity.  Big Damo should be signed- especially if Wardlow is going to have a title run and you need guys feed to him- Brodie King, Big Damo, W Morrisey, Jeff Cobb, Keith Lee, Powerhouse Hobbs- it's JR dream coming true!  Skye Blue needs to join the Baddies.  I am saying it and standing by it.  Kris Statlander is the best possible version of Jordynne Grace.  They should build up Stat versus Jade by having Stat create a stable or building it up like they built up to Shida/Deeb.  But the ENERGY is the new Baddies faction.  They are so electric and it needs to be explored so Stat needs two people to battle with Red Velvet and Kiera whiule she concentrates on taking the title off Jade Cargill.   Toni Storm and the creation of the Baddies has elevated the AEW women's divison past the Knock Outs and moved them towards a WWE women's level.  It's strange how Dynamite has weird heat on the women's match and then Rampage has the really good match and it's happened three weeks in a row.  Strange.  What a wildly overdelivering match for both involved.  Ethan Page is still great as everyone's dad.  Sammy and Tay are HEAT MACHINES!  They need to put the belt on Tay.  Heel Tay versus Face Britt Baker is your money match.  They should bring in Chik Tormenta and Sexy Star to come in and build up Tay.  I'm assuming Baker is going over because she needs a big win and a feud with Toni Storm would be a good thing.  Oh man, the BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB are BETTER than the Four Horsemen in terms of awesome blazing coolness and intensity.  Jade Cargill is fucking awesome.  I just realized that Jake Hagar was a buff dude without a shirt- as AEW contiues to appeal to a certain demographic.  I wonder if they will run Daniel Garcia vs Wheeler Yuta when Wheeler gets back.  They need vignettes of Jericho, Daddy Magic and the other guy mentoring Garcia on Hart Dungeon technique to counter the Snakepit technique that the Blackpool Combat Club is instilling in Yuta.  I love that this match is like the HoB match, where you know who is going to win, but the victims step up and take their game to another level.. Dante Martin is doing more losing to the BCC and Rey Fenix than he could ever do winning a thousand matches versus Serpentico and Fuego Del Sol.  The fight through the LABelle Lock was SO main event wrestling.   Post hold selling by Martin is so fucking great.  Dante Martin's facial expressions are so good- he looks so desperate and hopelss WHILE getting nearfalls.  So fucking great.  Dante Martin should get drafted into the BCC.  Oh my GOD,  Bryan Danielson vs Okada is going to be awesome.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really tried to stay out of the Sammy/Tay belt discourse, but they should either stop trying to make the TNT title be perceived as a memorial to Brody Lee’s legacy or just not do angles where it’s repeatedly desecrated. 

• Like 1

They are building up to Tony Nese vs Hook.  The point of the VIGNETTE~! was to show that both of their partners are dead weight.  They have to move Hook into the actual match phase of his development and building up Tony Nese because he can carry Hook is a good way to go.  I'm assuming the Hook/Danhausen grouping was to sell t-shirts first and to build up the Nese/Hook feud second. 

• Like 4

Just now, DEAN said:

They are building up to Tony Nese vs Hook.  The point of the VIGNETTE~! was to show that both of their partners are dead weight.  They have to move Hook into the actual match phase of his development and building up Tony Nese because he can carry Hook is a good way to go.  I'm assuming the Hook/Danhausen grouping was to sell t-shirts first and to build up the Nese/Hook feud second. 

It also finally gave Danhausen something to do, now he can go off and curse other people or whatever. He's got a thing with Teeth, move him on to getting his ass kicked by Hayter

• Like 1

Sadly, depending on your perspective, seems like the Dark Order as job boys is set in stone. Lost a member as Tony didn't want to pay Stu and haven't had a feud or tv win in forever. Feels like Silver still could be elevated if they wanted to, he's not a lost cause, but it's pretty sad to see how over he was last summer compared to now. They clearly are grooming 10 for a push after breaking away. Dark Order likely doesn't have a much longer shelf life. 

The Smackdown hair dryer piped in crowd noise helps make the women's matches stand out a bit more than the death they usually receive on Dynamite but that was a good match regardless of crowd feedback, which for me is usually key. Good stuff from both.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Yeah, quick win raises both stock, then he drops Hausen and shrugs off to his next program (a returning Orange Cassidy? who knows how long he's on the shelf) but it's logical and a good high profile, tie it in with Team Taz potentially beefing with Roppongi Vice and the extended Best Friends.

Unrelated sidenote: I just really want to thank you guys for welcoming me to the board, it feels nice to be a part of something.

Welcome aboard to the best board on the internet!

• Like 4